SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2006, 07:49 PM   #1
comcardi
comcardi is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1997 SL2
Default That's a SATURN, not an Audi.

As I'm sure most Aura drivers have noticed, this car is garnering ALOT of attention. You'll get looks at stoplights, looks in parking lots, I've even had people come out of stores as I was driving by to figure what my car is. I do love all the attention and it gives me a huge sense of pride when I say, "Ya, its a Saturn." I believe it is the same sense of pride people get when they say, "Ya, its got a hemi." This car apparently resembles Audi's when it comes down to the look of the car.

I have had 16 people (continuing to count) ask me one of the following things;

1. Is it a new A4?
2. Is it a new Passat?
3. Is it a new A6
4. What kind of Audi is that?

All I have to say is Saturn and GM have a potential Hit on their hands if they continue to develop the car. How many times have you heard a GM product be mistaken for the likes of Audi? And to make it all better, when is the last time you've heard someone say the words "sexy" and "Saturn" in the same sentence? One guy actually said, "Thats a beautiful car and I can afford because its a Saturn." That to me is a compliment. It means the car projects the "Aura" of being much more expensive than it really is, and utimately you can actually afford it. That same guy also bucked his eyes when I told him the car was only 22 grand, he thought the car was 30K plus.

Saturn, the GM offspring that has finally been included in the will!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to comcardi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help comcardi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
comcardi is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2006, 11:31 PM   #2
hugh
hugh will become famous soon enough

Default Re: That's a SATURN, not an Audi.

Anyone who would confuse an Aura with an Audi needs their eyes examined. How can anybody look at the front aspect of an Aura and that huge,bucktooth grille on the Audi and think they are related?

To me,the front of the new Audi looks like the automotive version of a beaver.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hugh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hugh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 02:15 AM   #3
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

I got sticker shock when I was at my Saturn dealer last weekend. I was oogling all over the new Aura XR and when I finally made it around to the front passenger side window where the "sticker" was sitting on the dash, I was astonished that it was so small (the price, that is). Even with the stupid add-on crap that the dealer tries to toss in there, it's still a beautiful, strong, refined-looking machine for a great price. I am simply amazed. I no longer have to tell my friends that the weakest part about Saturns is their interior!

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 05:35 AM   #4
comcardi

2007 AURA XE
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh
Anyone who would confuse an Aura with an Audi needs their eyes examined. How can anybody look at the front aspect of an Aura and that huge,bucktooth grille on the Audi and think they are related?

Its the side of the car that causes the confusion to most at first. They look at the side which doesn't have any markings with the exception on the "GM" badge on the front door, which most people don't notice. Once they see the front or rear they then realize what it truely is, which shocks them even more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help comcardi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-19-2006, 01:19 PM   #5
bgates2b
bgates2b is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
1994 SL2

Tack on "I swore that's a Lexus"

Quoted by the mechanic that works on my old SL2 when I don't work on it.

"Congratulations on your brand new 2007 Acura" - Tenisha, the On*Star rep that handled my call during the Aura's delivery

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bgates2b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bgates2b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bgates2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:57 PM   #6
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Very true. Extending the grille all the way down to the pavement just doesn't look good.

Ever notice the rear of the new Audi A6? Looks almost identical to the second-gen L-series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:15 PM   #7
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Speaking of this, I took my neighbor to McDonald's and Saturn is right there beside McDonald's and she thought the AURA was a Cadillac, LOL. So I definitely see them going "upscale" with the AURA. Although I think my SL2 is a Sexy Saturn.....but I thought Saturns looked better than the competition like forever.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:17 PM   #8
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

I had one guy ask us when we started selling Acuras. He saw the picture of the Aura that we had put in the paper, and automatically assumed it was a misprint and we just forgot the C.

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:11 AM   #9
rslux
rslux is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

The first Aura I saw was parked behind a Pontiac dealership, of all places (long story omitted). I was walking across the back of the dealership when I literally stopped dead in my tracks and said, "WHAT is THAT?". I couldn't believe it was a Saturn.

I can't buy a new car for another year (got to finish grad school & pay down some debt first) but the Aura is very high on my list now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rslux's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rslux reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rslux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:27 AM   #10
webmistress
webmistress is on a distinguished road

That is funny, sexy was the first word that came to my mind too. I was checking it out in Saturn while getting my VUE services last week. I didn't notice though, and can't tell on the website, does it have the plastic panels or is it steel?

I love the panoramic sunroof! Didn't notice that at the dealer, but also loved that it had *smooth* leather seats. My leather seats have those dumb holes in it, which I am sure serve some purpose other than to catch the leather cleaner when I try to clean them.

I have a bit of a small car phobia since a big Ford Expedition/Excursion, the big one, totaled my 92 SL2 going 55mph on the highway. So, my VUE is perfect for me, was planning to upgrade to the hybrid in 3-4 years. But, I think I could really feel safe in this Aura. Does it drive as well as it looks?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to webmistress's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help webmistress reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
webmistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:06 AM   #11
comcardi

2007 AURA XE
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmistress
I didn't notice though, and can't tell on the website, does it have the plastic panels or is it steel?

Does it drive as well as it looks?
The Aura is a steel body. Some people feel its not a true Saturn unless it has plastic panels, it makes no difference to me. I Actually like the steel better when it comes to waxing a car, plastic tends not to shine as beatiful as a steel panel.

And yes, the Aura drive as well as it looks. It's one of the best driving GM products I've ever driven. I believe you could stick a caddy badge on these cars and no one would know the difference.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2006, 11:23 AM   #12
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:

Even a lot of us Audi owners don't like the new "fish mouth" look of Audi grills. That's why I don't have a new A6 (and the fact that you can no longer get a 6sp manual or the twin turbo V6).

That said, any confusion on the outside will be quickly remedied when you actually drive it. There is NO comparison in terms of handling or comfort...not even close. If you're on a budget, perhaps that doesn't matter to you since the Aura is a lot cheaper than even a stripped down 6cyl A4 and half the price of an optioned out A6.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:34 PM   #13
comcardi

2007 AURA XE
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz
There is NO comparison in terms of handling or comfort...not even close. If you're on a budget, perhaps that doesn't matter to you since the Aura is a lot cheaper than even a stripped down 6cyl A4 and half the price of an optioned out A6.
Have you driven an Aura? Even though the Aura and A4 are in different classes, I think the Aura is more comfortable. I have a friend that owns an '02 A4 1.8T w/ quattro, and its been in the shop more times than I can count. The fact that he keeps his maintenance up and pampers the car, it should have no reason to be in the shop as much as it is. Factor in repair costs, and the Audi is more expensive than what people orginally bargin for. My friend wants to trade his because he simply cannot afford another repair if it fails because he is out of his warranty period.

In terms of handling, I think my Aura is NEARLY as capable as my friend's A4, and I think if his was w/o quattro, it would be a better comparison. His car has things like heated rear seats and such but when it comes down do it, how many times do you use all of those extra features an Audi would have that the Aura does not?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2006, 03:24 PM   #14
lithous
lithous is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcardi
His car has things like heated rear seats and such but when it comes down do it, how many times do you use all of those extra features an Audi would have that the Aura does not?
Sometimes you have to remember that you can get stuff aftermarket. There's probably a place that can set you up with heated rear seats if you want and still be less than an Audi. Now quattro would not be something easily added to an Aura but then again how much would it cost to add OnStar to an Audi (unless they offer a version of OnStar like Lexus did/does)? Crash sensors that call someone, that isn't cheap to add to a vehicle. My main point is for every bell and whistle you don't have, most you can get aftermarket but the others can't always get OnStar.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lithous's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lithous reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lithous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:35 PM   #15
SaturnSales
SaturnSales is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithous
Sometimes you have to remember that you can get stuff aftermarket. There's probably a place that can set you up with heated rear seats if you want and still be less than an Audi. Now quattro would not be something easily added to an Aura but then again how much would it cost to add OnStar to an Audi (unless they offer a version of OnStar like Lexus did/does)? Crash sensors that call someone, that isn't cheap to add to a vehicle. My main point is for every bell and whistle you don't have, most you can get aftermarket but the others can't always get OnStar.
Actually Audi did offer OnStar (under license from GM) for a couple years... I know I have seen it on the RS6.... Looking at the OnStar website it shows that it was on the 2003 A4, A6, and Allroad.. and on the 2003, 2004, and 2005 A8... From what I rememeber Audi never could intergrate the OnStar system quite right into their vehicles.... not supprising... They love to put a lot of technology into their cars but the execution isn't always quite right.. I remember the first time a new A8L came into the shop with a check engine light on... the tech hooked up the scan tool (which is actually a specialized tablet PC) there was so much information being transmitted and so many system errors that it actually crashed the scan tool... Don't get me wrong.. I do Like Audi's... they are a lot of fun to drive... but if I were ever to get one it would be on a lease so I wouldn't have to deal with it out of warranty.... I would gladly buy an Aura though.. and not have to worry about the cam chain tensioner seals leaking at 55k either (as a service writer I never saw an Audi make it past 70k without needing to have those seals replaced)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSales's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSales reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:44 PM   #16
Ritz
Master Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcardi
Have you driven an Aura? Even though the Aura and A4 are in different classes, I think the Aura is more comfortable. I have a friend that owns an '02 A4 1.8T w/ quattro, and its been in the shop more times than I can count. The fact that he keeps his maintenance up and pampers the car, it should have no reason to be in the shop as much as it is. Factor in repair costs, and the Audi is more expensive than what people orginally bargin for. My friend wants to trade his because he simply cannot afford another repair if it fails because he is out of his warranty period.

In terms of handling, I think my Aura is NEARLY as capable as my friend's A4, and I think if his was w/o quattro, it would be a better comparison. His car has things like heated rear seats and such but when it comes down do it, how many times do you use all of those extra features an Audi would have that the Aura does not?
As a matter of fact, I drove an Aura over the weekend. I wanted to see what all the hubub was about. There is absolutely no comparison in handling or comfort. Compared to Japanese cars in the same class, it's OK, but there is no mistaking it for a luxury European car either in comfort or in the turns.

Again, if you're on a budget and you're comparing it to other cars in the 25-30k price range, it's OK. But I find it a bit comical to compare it to an Audi. I'd be delighted to go head to head at the track if you feel otherwise. I'd be even more delighted to go head to head at any venue in the rain or snow.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-21-2006, 05:10 PM   #17
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

*raises hand*

Excuse me...but I was just wondering why we're comparing Saturns vs. Audis now after the styling deal? There isn't a comparison between a Saturn and an Audi, because Audi is a luxury brand and Saturn is not. It's really not worthwile. Saturn isn't competing against Audi.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:19 PM   #18
lithous
lithous is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz
Compared to Japanese cars in the same class, it's OK, but there is no mistaking it for a luxury European car either in comfort or in the turns.

Again, if you're on a budget and you're comparing it to other cars in the 25-30k price range, it's OK.
What do you like better about, say, an Accord vs. the Aura? Or a Hyundai vs. Aura? The Aura vs. Camry thread already exists so I am curious about other cars in it's class.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lithous's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lithous reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lithous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:31 PM   #19
Ritz
Master Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp326
*raises hand*

Excuse me...but I was just wondering why we're comparing Saturns vs. Audis now after the styling deal? There isn't a comparison between a Saturn and an Audi, because Audi is a luxury brand and Saturn is not. It's really not worthwile. Saturn isn't competing against Audi.
I don't know either. *shrug*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Old 09-21-2006, 05:32 PM   #20
mikthehickNC
mikthehickNC is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SL1

LOVE the Aura and can't wait until I can afford one (after the Mazda is paid off )

When I first had my Ion, people would mistake it for a Lexus. Maybe they needed glasses, I dunno. When I bought my Mazda6 Hatch last year, I really loved it because no one had it. Now EVERYONE has it. And not only that, I need parts for it now, and there are NO parts cars. It says something for reliability of a car when there aren't any to part out, and the Mazda 6 has been around since late 02. I see the same thing happening to the new Saturns. They seem like very solid cars. My Ion is still great, and my S was great until the day it died.

Saturn will only go up.

2005 Mazda6 Hatch

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikthehickNC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikthehickNC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikthehickNC is offline   Reply With Quote