SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-17-2008, 09:52 AM   #1
justinchristie
justinchristie is on a distinguished road

1999 SW1
1999 SL1
Default Wolfman's reverse slam fix with PICTURES!

We were experiencing a slight reverse slam in our 1999 SW1. A reverse slam is the “clunk” of changing the gears in an automatic transmission from reverse to any other gear. In Saturn S-Series cars, this is a common problem - usually the culprit of not maintaining the maintenance schedule of the automatic transmission.

After reading countless stories and fixes I came across Wolfman's reverse slam fix; I did it yesterday on our SW1. I performed it in -7 degree weather, and my hand are still cold from yesterday.

NOTE: This procedure is still Wolfman's brain-child, I take no "kudos" for coming up with this fix. I just wanted to take pictures of the procedure and post them here so it will help others along

Here are the steps:

Get the right fluids for the job. Standard ATF fluid, an additive, and an OEM auto transmission filter from Saturn. DO NOT use a standard auto filter. If you are doing this yourself, just ask for the part # from the pic below

Put the car up on ramps.

Un-tighten the transmission drain plug. 15mm socket.

Let the fluid drain in a pan.

Check the fluid colour as it drains.

Make sure you let it dribble to the end.

Clean up the drips.

Check the fluid colour in the pan for problems.

Take off the old filter. A filter wrench will help. Removing the air box will give better access to remove the filter. MAKE SURE YOU WATCH THE WIRES AND SENSORS GOING TO THE TRANSMISSION! DO NOT DAMAGE THEM! TAKE YOUR TIME!

The old crappy filter.

Apply a thin coat of transmission fluid to the new filter seal. Just like an oil filter.

Make sure you watch the transmission sensors and sensor wires when you put the new filter on.

Pour in your additive of choice through the dip stick shaft. Then pour in the ATF. You will definitely need a funnel of some sort.

Take the car off the ramps and chalk the back tires with the ramps.

Put the car in reverse with the parking break on. Let the car sit in reverse for 30 minutes - I just used my stove timer to keep track of the minutes. While waiting, this is a good time to clean up the mess, and to check the tire pressure, clean the wind shield, etc. etc. DO NOT LEAVE THE CAR UNATTENDED WHILE IN REVERSE! Stick around for any problems.

After the 30 minutes, take it out for a spin around the neighborhood. Try regular driving, …backing up, …3-point turns. Anything that will mimic regular driving.

I did this procedure, and our reverse slam was cured. Right away while driving down the block, I could tell the transmission shifted faster and smoother; in the drive gears as well. If it comes back, I will do the procedure again.

Thought I would share this with the masses. Hope this helps!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to justinchristie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help justinchristie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
justinchristie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links