SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2018, 01:05 AM   #1
Francophile50
Francophile50 is on a distinguished road

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Saturn hatred

In my recent experience by talking to people I have encountered so many people who outright hate the brand due to a bad experience and don't want to put things in perspective. I came across this article recently and wondering if anyone else had seen it and what you think. Scott. https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopni...ed-my-life/amp

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Francophile50's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Francophile50 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Francophile50 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2018, 09:40 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Saturn hatred

I read the article. This young man had a terrible experience and it's not hard to feel badly for him and for what he went through. We all must face the fact that there are people who've had bad experiences with their cars and it colors their negative opinons of whatever the brand and model it was.

A former colleague who left CA for AZ a few years ago warned me about GM transmissions not being any good. He'd had an ION with the ill-fated VTi transmission which failed and was replaced, but he would't trust any GM transmission to last much beyond 100K miles because of that rotten one in his ION. Well, my 4T40E is original with no internal parts failures and is doing fine (see the mileage below- 289K as of this writing). A couple of things come to mind regarding car troubles. First, car owners must take proper care of their vehicles. Barring the unforeseen engine or transmission failures under warranty, most cars hold up well these days if basic maintenance requirements are met regularly. The story of the young man and his SC2 indicate that,

1) He did not adequately test the vehicle prior to his purchase, and
2) that the previous owner, or owners, took extremely poor care of the car.

For those failures, he sadly paid a high very high price to own that car. In general, we who do the necessary maintenance as required tend not to experience his troubles even if we own Saturns.

296,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:39 PM   #3
Francophile50

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

I just thought the article was kind of extreme for blaming the loss of his marriage and his home and everything on that car. I've had issues with cars that became money pits but I didn't blame them for anything it was just an inanimate object. I could have walked away from it or I could invest in in it thinking that I got something out of it and I did to a certain degree. I'm now in the process of investing in these cars who have had long lives but in my care will have even longer ones. I think the way you live life is the way you look at it. If you want to blame all your troubles on someone or something else then you will never succeed. If you take responsibility and ownership for what is happening to you and take action to correct it you will be a lot better off and your trouble will be a lot less or shorter in the big picture. I just had met several people who have had bad luck with Saturn's. I can understand that and that is true with any car. but to say the entire brand is worthless because of one car is kind of hard. Most cars that are mass-produced have really good engineering behind them and if there is some kind of design for there is a recall and the corrected to a certain degree. despite the negative stigma that Saturn carries I still will speak on behalf of the brand and let people know of the good aspects of it. Scott

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Francophile50 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-01-2018, 12:08 AM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

In general, I agree with you. The issue for the young man in the article is about poor decision making. Things just cascaded "downhill" as a consequence. We all must take charge of the good (and be grateful for it) and ill (and learn from it) which come to us resulting from wisdom or folly.

296,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:22 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

That link to one man's hatred of his Saturn is only one persons's opinion brought up in 2010, the year Saturn folded. The website asked anyone to report their worst experience with any vehicle and that's how the article was presented, as the worst, not the average tale of Saturn owners. Why wasn't this disgruntled person's opinion not brought up years earlier? According to this story, the person bought his '97 Saturn in 2008, a nine year old car and during the course of two years ownership encountered unfortunate circumstances. Unfortunately, he probably didn't know Saturnfans existed to share his hatred and may have found help. He doesn't (or does he?) represent the vast majority of Saturn owners with good and bad experiences. As we all know, every vehicle will have their idiosyncrasies, quirks, issues, and problems covered in and out of warranty, in or out of pocket, recalled by one or dozens of technical service bulletins to correct manufacturing defects in hardware, firmware or software.

Even Tesla has recalls. When it involves firmware or software updates, its sent out (my guess) thru cellular services since Tesla repair shops don't exist yet. Even diagnosing problems are done thru cellular service for near instant response no conventional dealer can duplicate. For now, body work is farmed out to authorized Tesla repair shops.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:37 AM   #6
Francophile50

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Fdryer, I'm not saying that this is the opinion of most or all people about Saturn I'm just saying this is one example of the distain people have for the brand. I haven't talked to a lot of people but at least 12 people that I know of do not like Saturns and would never buy one ever again. This is because of a bad experience directly or a story they heard from friend or family that had one. Sometimes I feel that when you mention Saturn it's on the same level as say you get from American Motors Gremlin Pacer those type of vehicles. I personally feel that more people have had bad experiences with Mopar or the Chrysler Plymouth Dodge brand. Ford and GM have mixed reviews but mostly positive. But of the entire line of GM Saturn has the most unappreciated consensus than any other line they had including Hummer. There may not be many articles online or in print about how Saturn's didn't measure up but if you ask and the general opinion of many you will find a distain overall for many of the models that Saturn put out over the years. I understand about the problematic Ions and Vues but I will remain positive about all the other models that had little or no problems. even the top brand in the world Toyota has had problems with their cars so no one is immune to bugs and design flaws. Scott

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-06-2018, 08:44 PM   #7
aygc271
aygc271 has a spectacular aura aboutaygc271 has a spectacular aura aboutaygc271 has a spectacular aura about

I love that Saturn has this stigma as a crappy car brand, because the exact opposite is true. They might be the ultimate stalwart of 90's economy cars. I recently picked up an ION with 105,000 miles, absolutely nothing wrong with it for 1500 bucks. While I'm more of an S-series fanatic, I couldn't pass up the deal. He said the car had been on craig's list for weeks and had dropped the price numerous times.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aygc271's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aygc271 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aygc271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:20 PM   #8
Francophile50

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Those of us that understand the vehicles are able to do so much with them cuz the are cheap and abundant. I am slowly upgrading my car little by little. I added a leather wrapped column shift lever. Going to replace the speakers on both. Going to upgrade the door panels in one and if I can the seats too. Gonna keep it stock but add the options that could have come on it and have fun doing it. Scott

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-27-2018, 10:27 AM   #9
BigAl
BigAl is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by aygc271 View Post
I love that Saturn has this stigma as a crappy car brand, because the exact opposite is true. They might be the ultimate stalwart of 90's economy cars. I recently picked up an ION with 105,000 miles, absolutely nothing wrong with it for 1500 bucks. While I'm more of an S-series fanatic, I couldn't pass up the deal. He said the car had been on craig's list for weeks and had dropped the price numerous times.
I picked up my '07 ION with 103,000 miles on it at a used car lot for $1000. The owner of the lot told me he bought an entire lot of cars at auction from a dealer that went out of business. He knew nothing about it, but since it was a manual and a Saturn, he didn't think it would sell. He stuck it in the corner of the lot to send back to auction. We offered him $1000 and drove it home. The only thing wrong with it is some very minor front end damage. I've put 45,000 miles on it so far with nothing more than a set of tires, a new battery and oil changes.

I wish my grass was Emo so it would cut itself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BigAl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BigAl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:08 AM   #10
Francophile50

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Saturn is today's or our modern days secret. If someone can ignore all the bad press that has been floated for years about Saturn and actually give the car an honest look they will come out more favorable than with any other vehicle. Dollar-for-dollar Saturn has more value than any other car you can find used out there. If we could put more first-time drivers in these cars it would change the perception of what cars should be and it may even change the new car market overall. it's funny that due to tariffs against foreign countries used car prices are starting to escalate but yet due to negative stories about this brand the car still remains not only reasonable but actually a amazing bargain. Scott

REWARD EXCELLENCE!