SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2018, 11:44 AM   #1
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Checkered Flag I think I may be leaving from Saturn ownership in 2019

Hello all,

I had posted this in the off topic section, but I will post here to see if I can get a bit more traction and responses.

Just wanted to post here to get some ideas for later this year and potentially into 2019. My current daily driver is a 1999 SL, bare bones model- that currently has 195K miles on it. With 2019 approaching and my 99 SL turning 20 years old next year- I think it is time to move on.... While I will be moving on from Saturn ownership- I will still have my 1994 Homecoming Edition, and my current 1999 Saturn SL- may become a third car that is a backup car to what we decide to purchase, or it may be sold outright... I haven't decided yet. I will still help out from time to time on here with people that have questions, but as to having a "Daily Driver" that is a Saturn- I think it is time to move on.

I've been in the Saturn S-Series fold since 1997- when I purchased my first Saturn (a 1994 SC1- that lasted me 11 years.)

Everything I have learned from a car repair standpoint- has been thanks to Saturn, and I wouldn't change a thing. I enjoy being able to repair my own cars.

Although- I am at a point now- in my mid 40s, where I would prefer to be driving my cars; rather then spending time working on them.

I've owned 8 Saturns over the past 20 years, and they have all been great cars, even with all of the Saturn "Quirks"...

I've posted from time to time about getting ideas for other cars to move onto.

I would like to hear from everyone to see what would be considerable replacement vehicles that would take the place of the Saturn S-Series.

I've looked at/test driven the Chevy Cruze (REALLY like the manual trans in that car); and I have also had a Nissan Ultima and a Toyota Corolla as Rental cars; that I enjoyed as well for the rental time frame that I had them.

I'm wondering for those of you who may own any of these cars... are they decent cars? Me and my wife are looking at something that we would be purchasing used probably towards the end of this year, after our Van is paid off and we can save up some money to buy something outright so that we are not diving back into an auto loan.

I want something that is fairly decent, and easy to work on- something that my wife and I can share in driving around; and is going to be something that can haul me, the wife, our 11 year old son, and our dog; if we go somewhere. A decent mid-size family car, but not something that is a boat.

I'm not particularly fond of Ford- BUT, if I did go the route of Ford- I would only consider the Ford Fusion (which we had as a rental for vacation, and it was a decent car.)

I'm not fond of Chrysler either.

I would consider Chevy, GMC, maybe Nissan, maybe Toyota...

Thoughts, Ideas, Comments, Years to consider?
Manual or Auto Trans....

Currently I don't have a full on budget- but I would venture to say, that if my wife and I are able to put some money away- we may be looking to purchase a car that is in the $2K-$5K range, roughly.

Any thoughts on the models that I have mentioned?

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2018, 09:55 AM   #2
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: I think I may be leaving from Saturn ownership in 2019

Unless you are just against owning an older vehicle. There are still some very low mileage Saturns out there. Just last year I picked up a 45K mile 2004 Saturn L-Series wagon. A real cream puff.

Low purchase price and low insurance rates make these older Saturns a smart buy.

Low mileage cars are out there. Just got to be willing to travel to find them and drive them home.

Don't give up the ship yet!

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #3
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

As much as I would like to stay within the Saturn fold- the ability to get parts for a lot of the older S-Series; especially first gen (91-94,95); is getting harder and harder to find- even at the local yards.

I'm all for low mileage cars- but at the same time; it's the time finding them and then negotiating a good price.

Believe me- I have enjoyed my Saturn ownership- but even my friend Saturn Mechanic who worked for Saturn for 20+ years, even has moved on as well.

Most of the first few years of S-Series cars, in most states; are now eligible for Historic status (25 years old is the starting point).

As I mentioned- I've just got to a point, where I would rather be driving my cars, rather then working on them.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:25 AM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Low purchase price? lol yeah, not anymore. $800+ for a 130k mile rusted out POS just because it gets better than 30mpg or over $2000 if it somehow isn't rusted out. Now I'm getting AWD's for the same I was getting S-Series for ($300-$700). Not much worse MPG, not in any better shape body-wise and 100% more fun the entire year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:26 PM   #5
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

Hey 2ndsout,

I left the Saturn fold in the fall of 2016 as my 2006 Ion was starting to give me maintenance issues regularly. I traded it for a 2015 Buick Verano that had languished on a rural dealer's lot for 15 months before I picked it up.

I love how quiet my car is, it rides well, it's stuffed full of convenience features and has a full array of safety features. As I approach 19K miles, I've only had to take the car in for regular oil changes.

My Verano was a cousin to the first-generation Cruze. The current Verano is not sold here with the current Cruze.

Since you're interested in used, you might want to consider a used '13-'17 Verano Leather to base trims, all of which came with the 2.4L four-cylinder (180 hp) and the six-speed automatic.

One negative is that the Verano's back seat is no roomier than the old Cruze's was so with an 11 y/o son, that may be a deal-breaker for you. Another is that the Verano weighs around 3400 pounds so gas mileage, especially in city driving, can be lower than expected from a small Buick that was never meant to be an economy car. I get around 23 mpg city in my car. The highest I've recorded is 31 mpg but that was on a trip.

If the Verano holds no appeal, the 2011-2015 Cruze should be a great yet economical choice to succeed your S-series.

Good luck with your decision next year!

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tethys's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:35 PM   #6
Tethys
Advanced Member

This is the cheapest and newest Verano I found on cars.com with allegedly 5 miles - $15,900. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4572/overview/

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tethys reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-07-2018, 09:37 PM   #7
Tethys
Advanced Member

And here's the cheapest Cruze I located for comparison's sake. - https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7751/overview/

2015 Buick Verano Turbo
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-17-2018, 02:03 PM   #8
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

2NDSOUT, With all due respect, 2-5K would be a reasonable down payment on a new or late-model Chevy Cruze. Though you do not prefer to have a loan, interest rates are not going to stay low forever, and I believe the Fed plans to raise them in 2019 by half percent increments.

The question is how long of a term do you want. The shorter the term, the higher the monthly payment, but the less interest the bank gets and the faster you pay off the note. You put equity into your car quicker as well.

As far as Ford is concerned, they're getting out of the car business. In two years, everything but the Mustang and Focus hatch will be crossovers and SUVs, and even the Focus hatch is going to be marketed as an activity vehicle, geared toward the Subaru Crosstrek. I rented a Focus and Elantra within the last six months and found the Focus interior to be claustrophobic, but that's me. YMMV. The Elantra was an OK experience and was a bit on the peppier side compared to the Focus, and there seemed to be more interior space.

FCA is no better, Marchionne kicked the can of whether Chrysler or Dodge should be jettisoned down the road - 2022 to be exact. I wouldn't purchase from a brand that was given a stay of execution and your only choice if you want a compact car from them is the Fiat.

Altima is the mid-sized car, which is all new for 2019 and should be on dealers lots within four months. Sentra is Nissan's compact offering. Unfortunately, Nissan has not offered a manual transmission in any of their sedans in many years, Maxima included.

If you can tolerate the CVT, Sentra is a good alternative to the Cruze, but the Cruze is narrowing the gap. Altima is another step up the price ladder, but when the '19 arrives, they'll be dealing to move the '18s and resale will benefit the buyer.

Like Nissan and Hyundai, Toyota has really become a rental fleet queen with the Camry and Corolla. But either one is the way to go if you want no-fuss and reliable transport.

I'm surprised you did not mention either the Civic or 3, which are class leading product, but if I'm in your shoes, I'll take the Chevy Cruze FTW. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:03 PM   #9
Francophile50
Francophile50 is on a distinguished road

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

when my car was totaled by my insurance company and I was facing scrambling to get another car I considered buying a brand new Subaru Outback. After a long and hard look at them I realized 1. there very expensive 2. there are a different kind of car altogether and those who drive those are more performance-driven as opposed to utilitarian like my station wagons were, and 3. there just is nothing like a Saturn it has a certain quality to it and if you would appreciate that you're not going to really find that in other cars. So I looked around and found several inexpensive low mileage one so I'm Taking My Chances and I would rather much rather invest in repairing an old Saturn then get into repairing a new different and foreign car to me. Good luck on your choice and I understand it but I along with many others here have decided to entrench for the long run. Scott

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Francophile50's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Francophile50 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Francophile50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:54 PM   #10
aygc271
aygc271 has a spectacular aura aboutaygc271 has a spectacular aura aboutaygc271 has a spectacular aura about

I personally avoid 2000-2008 GM cars like the plague. Ecotecs are often buggy and more trouble than they're worth. Nissan hasn't exactly put their best foot forward either. I'd stick with Toyota if you can find a good one in your price range. It's barebones, but my buddy has a Yaris and he loves it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aygc271's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aygc271 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aygc271 is offline   Reply With Quote