SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
cola
Advanced Member
cola is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE
1996 SL
Default Transmission Filter

Hi, I was wondering if replacing the transmission filter on a '09 XE with the 6-speed is recommended? Do I just drop the plan and remove the filter or is there more to it?

The car has 91k miles on it.

Thanks in advance,
David

2009 Aura XE 2.4-----SOLD
2004 Vue 3.5 AWD
1999 SL2 Auto
1998 SL2 5-Speed------SOLD
1996 SL1 5-Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cola's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cola reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cola is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2012, 12:18 AM   #2
mbruneaux
mbruneaux is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Transmission Filter

I called around and even a GM dealer and they don't list a filter for it......

On the Malibu forum a GM tech says there isn't a replaceable filter, drain and fill (6Qts) it is!

Last edited by mbruneaux; 09-13-2012 at 12:29 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mbruneaux's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mbruneaux reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mbruneaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

i dont believe it has a filter

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cola View Post
Hi, I was wondering if replacing the transmission filter on a '09 XE with the 6-speed is recommended? Do I just drop the plan and remove the filter or is there more to it?

The car has 91k miles on it.

Thanks in advance,
David
GM suggest replacement only under severe service conditions. Personally, I would replace it at 100k. There's nothing unusual about this fluid & filter replacement. Make sure you also get a new filter seal & pan gasket (included with some filters). The filter is friction fit (i.e.-no fasteners).

The problem lies in getting the fluid level right as there's no dipstick.

Last edited by greenman; 09-13-2012 at 03:31 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Not sure if this link will work:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/part-finder...G8Y9FJDW1YRYYN

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
cola
Advanced Member
cola is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE
1996 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post

Thanks for the info! I will order a new filter today.

2009 Aura XE 2.4-----SOLD
2004 Vue 3.5 AWD
1999 SL2 Auto
1998 SL2 5-Speed------SOLD
1996 SL1 5-Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cola's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cola reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Forget what I said about changing the pan gasket. The OEM gasket is reuseable on these trannys & much better quality than the aftermarket versions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
mbruneaux
mbruneaux is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

6 speed transmissions do not have serviceable filters....................

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mbruneaux's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mbruneaux reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mbruneaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:42 PM   #9
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

pretty sure i dont have a filter to change and dipstick is on top of transmission.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #10
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Whoops. My bad. In the 6T40 & 6T70 series you have to drop the tranny to replace the filter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #11
lugnuts
lugnuts is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR

No user serviceable filter on the 6 speed. The guy above is right you have to drop the tranny. I just drain every 30k or so and replace aprox 4.5 quarts

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lugnuts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lugnuts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #12
davek128
davek128 is on a distinguished road

I took my 09 2.4L to an auto shop for a transmission flush at 40k. They hooked it up to a machine that replaces the fluid with the engine running. Shortly afterwards things started to go wrong with the car. 9 visits to the local chevy dealer within 3 weeks due to hesistation, car stalling, Service Traction, service ESC messages. They replaced 3 fuel injectors, the harness and I still had problems...Finally after having the car towed in, they found a broken wire. Well, I still had some hesitation and the trans was starting to slip. A co worker said the auto shop may have put in the wrong fluid. took the car back to the chevy dealer, paid $200 to have the trans flushed again. Bingo...no more hesitation, no more transmission slippage...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davek128's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davek128 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davek128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #13
lugnuts
lugnuts is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by davek128 View Post
I took my 09 2.4L to an auto shop for a transmission flush at 40k. They hooked it up to a machine that replaces the fluid with the engine running. Shortly afterwards things started to go wrong with the car. 9 visits to the local chevy dealer within 3 weeks due to hesistation, car stalling, Service Traction, service ESC messages. They replaced 3 fuel injectors, the harness and I still had problems...Finally after having the car towed in, they found a broken wire. Well, I still had some hesitation and the trans was starting to slip. A co worker said the auto shop may have put in the wrong fluid. took the car back to the chevy dealer, paid $200 to have the trans flushed again. Bingo...no more hesitation, no more transmission slippage...
idiots. I've been shafted by shops before. PS fluid in master cylinder. That was fun. I bring my car into the shop as a last measure. If I can't figure it out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lugnuts's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lugnuts reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote