SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 04-12-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
vue04
vue04 is on a distinguished road

Default 2004 Vue V-6 or Honda Pilot?

Hi all,

I have a 2004 Vue V-6 in great condition with 105,000 miles. I recently did timing belt and everything works. A/C might need a recharge come summer, but paid off.

I've been itching to sell it for a 2004-2007 Honda Pilot with same or less miles. I sorta want leather and the better quality. My Vue interior paint is slowly wearing away and the minor squeaks and rattles get annoying for a 7 year old car. I probably can get $5000-$7000 I think.

An older Pilot is about $10,000-$13,000 if I look hard. Plus it has third row seating and will likley be quiter and made of nicer material. But maybe 1-3 mpg less, since it's heavier.

Both will last as long, probably another 100K or more, but will cost me $6000 extra. Do you guys think it's a good trade-off and what would you do?

Thanks!
vue04 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
Vue in Ontario
Vue in Ontario is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 AURA XE
Default Re: 2004 Vue V-6 or Honda Pilot?

Do you need room for more than 4?

To me, this is the only question to be asked/ answered here.
Vue in Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by vue04 View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2004 Vue V-6 in great condition with 105,000 miles. I recently did timing belt and everything works. A/C might need a recharge come summer, but paid off.

I've been itching to sell it for a 2004-2007 Honda Pilot with same or less miles. I sorta want leather and the better quality. My Vue interior paint is slowly wearing away and the minor squeaks and rattles get annoying for a 7 year old car. I probably can get $5000-$7000 I think.

An older Pilot is about $10,000-$13,000 if I look hard. Plus it has third row seating and will likley be quiter and made of nicer material. But maybe 1-3 mpg less, since it's heavier.

Both will last as long, probably another 100K or more, but will cost me $6000 extra. Do you guys think it's a good trade-off and what would you do?

Thanks!
Your estimate for what you could get for your Vue is high by a good bit.

But let's do a pros and cons list!

Honda Pilot Pros:
More space
Better dealers
Higher quality materials in the interior

Cons:
Almost twice the money
Worse fuel economy
Exterior will get dings and dents
Unknown history and maintenance
More money spent on financing

I was in a similar position. I was unsure if I wanted to keep my RL or trade up to something a little nicer and newer. I realized that I could overhaul my RL for the down payment on something else and not be making payments on it for several years still. So I ordered a new interior (my leather covers are for sale btw, ordered suspension parts, and am having a few things on it fixed. No payments, and it'll be significantly upgraded from stock.

If you don't need the extra seating and room for your family, I'd keep it and put the money into upgrading it. Doesn't make sense to spend a lot of money on another older/high mileage car, and you can make a very positive change in your Vue for not that much money. Almost all the rattles and squeaks in the Vue can be dealt with for very cheap. A little felt, glue, and some foam weatherstripping and almost all of the rattles can be dealt with.
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:06 AM   #4
vue04
vue04 is on a distinguished road

I don't need the room for my family of 4. There are times during the year that extra seats are nice.

I agree with XRL - thanks for helping me think through this. I know my Vue V-6 really well and done most of the maintenance myself. Financially I should keep it as it makes sense.

XRL - What color are your seat covers and how much are they?

Black Vue V-6
vue04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
20VUE06
20VUE06 is on a distinguished road

Vue04-

Obviously, this is only my opinion and we're talking about your money here, not mine. No flames, please.

I have owned a 2004 AWD V6 and a 2006 FWD V6. Traded the '04 in for the '06.

About 2 months ago, I traded the '06 in for an '07 Honda Ridgeline. The '06 was doing fine; no major repairs. I traded it mostly because I was looking for a vehicle that could tow a bit more. I did not trade the Vue because of any particular dislike, defect, or anything of the like. It was paid for and was treating me well, overall. I came across the Ridgeline and got a pretty good deal for it along with a good trade for my Vue.

I know I'm not comparing apples to apples here (Ridgeline versus Pilot), but they are similar animals when it comes to manufacturer, drive train, and overall blood and guts.

I can't be happier with my my purchase. Yes, the Honda products are pricier off the bat (used or new), but my experience (I also own a 2004 Accord - 76K miles and only oil and one set of tires) with switching to another Honda product has been nothing but good. The Honda just has an overall more solid feel - from closing the doors to going over bumps. My wife had a 2000 SC2 prior to trading in for the Accord, and my feelings are the same with that car. To me, it is just a better built car overall and I am not unhappy about spending a bit more cash for it.I know an SC2 is not a comparable to an Accord, but again, just commenting on my overall opinion on the brand switch.

Sure, EVERY SINGLE manufacturer has and will have it's issues. I'm just speaking from my own experience. I don't mean to turn this into a domestic versus foreign argument, because it's not. I could be comparing the Vue to an Explorer here... Before my Accord, I only owned GM products. When I buy again, I'll look at Honda before Chevy, just due to recent experience. In the past, I'd look to a Chevy before considering a Honda, but as of now, I think I'd switch that up next time and maybe even consider Ford in the mix too (no experience with that brand, but I've read good things).

Both the Vue and Pilot will get you where you need to go for tens of thousands of miles and beyond. They both could do it for the same amount of repair expenses, or not, luck of the draw sometimes. They both have their pluses and minuses as XRL helped point out. Up to you to decide what's important to you. If you don't NEED a replacement now, just cool your jets and keep an eye out for a great deal on a good used vehicle of your choice...

Good luck with whatever you choose.
2004 Vue AWD V6
20VUE06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #6
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Start making "car payments" every month/weekly/bi-weekly (however you want to do it) into a savings account. When your VUE really starts to wear out, you should have a nice chunk of change put away for a "new" vehicle. I say "new", because quite frankly I think buying a brand new car is retarded- but I guess someone needs to buy new cars to keep the used car market around.
Not a Saturn.
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #7
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
Start making "car payments" every month/weekly/bi-weekly (however you want to do it) into a savings account. When your VUE really starts to wear out, you should have a nice chunk of change put away for a "new" vehicle. I say "new", because quite frankly I think buying a brand new car is retarded- but I guess someone needs to buy new cars to keep the used car market around.
This is very good advice. And you also have a chunk of change saved for repairs as well.

Rattle elimination in the Vue is easy because it all comes apart easily. Find what rattles, and then put soft foam type stuff there. My outside pillar plastic parts rattled in the wind, so I took them off (4ish screws) put some felt (90 cents at walmart) underneath them between them and the door, put them back on, and presto, no more rattles from there. I also fixed the rattly glovebox similarly, except I used stocky backed foam around the edge.

Placing sticky backed foam at the intersections of panels will also help a huge amount with panel to panel vibrations.

I'm going to be laying down some CLD tiles from sound deadener showdown and using some CCF on the floor to quiet it down some more as well.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

I forgot to mention, my leather seats are black, in very good shape. I don't really know what to charge for them, I can sell either the entire seats or the seat covers alone (though I'd prefer to do seats entirely just so i don't have these extra seats laying around).

Don't really know what to ask for them to be honest. The skins alone could be shipped fairly inexpensively, as they come off easily. It's the cushions themselves that don't.