SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2015, 05:06 PM   #1
cbrock420
cbrock420 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy 94 Saturn sl1 issues, need help!!!!

I have a 94 Saturn sl1, 1.9 sohc. I'm on a limited income, so at the time, 300 bucks was a good deal for a decent running car. I've owned the car for three months and today after a two hour highway drive, now my car is acting up. It does leak oil, once every two weeks I have to put a quart of oil in it. Today after returning from the trip , luckily after we got back to town, the idle kept dropping when I stopped and kept dying. Also heavy white smoke that smelled like burnt rubber was pouring out of he tail pipe. Coolant is flowing properly, and is still full. No oil in the coolant, nor is there coolant in the oil. Once I first start the car, it idles at 3,000 rpms and continues to do so for a minute. After that it'll idle down to about 700 rpms a idle steady right there. Once I start to drive there's a significant loss of power accompanied by the white smoke. Which was never present before. When I stop the car wants to die. But if I put it in neutral or in park, it jumps back up to 3,000 rpms. The car has around 150,000 miles on it. And this is the time I've had an issue with it. I have 3 kids and with Christmas coming up and being on a fixed income, this couldn't have come at a worse time. I called t dealership an they told me that in 2003 a bulletin was released about this car consuming a lot of oil accompanied by these symptoms. They said the suggested remedy was to change the oil and filter. Does this make any sense ? I figured since I'm putting in 2 quarts of fresh oil in it per month, this wouldn't be such an issue. I'm completely stumped and don't know what to do. Anyone have any advice? Thank you in advance for any help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cbrock420's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cbrock420 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cbrock420 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
cbrock420
cbrock420 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 94 Saturn sl1 issues, need help!!!!

I also forgot to mention, I've never had an issue with the high idle before, however, it does idle pretty low. It averages between 5 to 700 rpms. Otherwise runs smooth. For a 300 dollar beater I'm surprised how good this at runs. I've definitely got my money out of it. But I can't afford to replace it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cbrock420's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cbrock420 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cbrock420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:46 PM   #3
SC2Sick
Advanced Member
SC2Sick will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

Do you have any check engine lights?

I'd start with coolant temp sensor.. it's a SUPER SUPER common issue on these cars. The early design had 2 sensors.. one for the computer which determines the fuel mixture and another for the gauge.. so you can read right on the dash and your car can think it's -50 degrees out and dump fuel to compensate.

sixthsphere.com owner
1997 Saturn SC2 Turbo
sixthsphere.com/showthread.php/89737

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2Sick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2Sick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2Sick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:29 PM   #4
marko16
marko16 has a spectacular aura aboutmarko16 has a spectacular aura aboutmarko16 has a spectacular aura about

I have the same car with just over 400,000 miles on it. Mine now burns a quart every 500 miles and you really cant see it. Focus on all the cheap easy things before spending a penny. How's the Gas mileage, verify coolant vs oil smoke. Check the plugs to see if anything odd is going on. You can manually check even O2 sensor function with a volt meter. Google each check or ask here for help. This car has a gauge sensor and a computer sensor. So on the motor there is a upper and lower sensor. Of the above I've had bad plugs and bad sensors and smoke never came out the tail pipe. Just to add, I've never had an change fix a problem and have benn running oil change oil in this one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marko16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marko16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marko16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:18 AM   #5
el diablo viejo
el diablo viejo will become famous soon enough

1994 SW1
2000 SW2

Start with checking the spark plugs and doing a compression test

97 sl2 a/t 104 K
1989 GMC 3500 454 129 K, 1969 442 455 rat rod

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to el diablo viejo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help el diablo viejo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
el diablo viejo is offline   Reply With Quote