SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2015, 03:38 PM   #1
98SatSl2
98SatSl2 has a spectacular aura about98SatSl2 has a spectacular aura about

1998 SL1
Default Sanding the "Saturn" on the rear fascia

So, awhile back I read about someone sanding the saturn down and putting a brake light there; I loved the idea. I want to do this to my car, but whenever I searched it, nothing really came up. So, I was wondering how would I tap into a brake light to make the saturn light up when I braked? Also, has anyone done this? I don't want to sand it down and it look trashy. The way I figured I would do it is figure out how to tap into the brake lights, then mount the led brake light to the black plastic under the fascia so when I brake it illuminates Saturn.

Thoughts, comments, and ideas are all very welcome!!!
Thanks in advance.

98 Forrest Green manual SL1- Rufus
-06/14/11-5/25/14-rear ended
98 Maroon manual SL1- Daphne
-96k miles-115k (10/23/15)- 140k (4/9/18)
-06/12/14-current

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98SatSl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98SatSl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98SatSl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2015, 08:16 PM   #2
johnny95sl2
johnny95sl2 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1995 SC2
Default Re: Sanding the "Saturn" on the rear fascia

Why would you sand it? This makes no sense

1992 SC
1995 SC2
1994 SW2
1997 SW2
others in my yard

1995 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to johnny95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help johnny95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
johnny95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:54 PM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Take the cover off, sand/cut the lettering out (like a reverse stencil, leaving the letters as holes), put 2-3 LED strips on the back side (maybe with a plastic diffuser to remove the lined LED look), tap into one of the brake wires on the light housing side of the harness using a weather proof method, put the cover back on and connect the LED harness to the wire you tapped into the brake light wire with.

A different method would be to get 3M tape in a reflective style and cut/trace it out to fit inside the letters...not as flashy as the LED method but easier for 99% of people

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:58 AM   #4
1.9 sohc
1.9 sohc has a spectacular aura about1.9 sohc has a spectacular aura about1.9 sohc has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL

Cutting the letters to look clean would be very difficult. It needs to be an even surface on teh backside so it can be flushed up against a red lens of some sort, plexi? So I probably wouldnt sand it jusy cut the letters at a bevel. Id probaby use a dremel and a very steady hand. The wiring bit is not so bad I would wait until the lettering is perfect and then worry about how to do the rest. I would use a junkyard bumper.

Whats the backside of our bumper skins look like?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1.9 sohc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1.9 sohc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1.9 sohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:05 PM   #5
dummo
Master Member
dummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nice

1997 SW2

At first glance and by the title of this thread it seems like you want to eliminate the 'SATURN' from the back of your car.

"Sanding the "Saturn" on the rear fascia"

Why not ...

"Light Up the "Saturn" on the rear fascia" - I bet you get more responses

or...

"Naked Hot Girl wants to see a Light Up the "Saturn" on the rear fascia"

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

Last edited by dummo; 11-18-2015 at 12:12 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:03 PM   #6
98SatSl2
98SatSl2 has a spectacular aura about98SatSl2 has a spectacular aura about

1998 SL1

Johnny: I'd sand it so that the letters would be gone so I could put basically a 4th brake light there. Fetchit said it perfectly.

Fetchit: That's pretty much exactly what I want to do. After I get the lettering cut/sanded, I was just wondering if an led strip would "be too much" on the electrical side. I have a relatively limited amount of knowledge about tapping into another system and piggybacking off it. I was wondering if it'd "draw too much."

1.9 sohc: I thought about using a dremel and cutting it out, but I figured if I used a belt sander or something similar I'd be able to sand the back down flush so that majority of saturn would be gone.Then I could either file the edges or use a dremel to make the edges smooth and clean. Then I was gonna basically use caulk (or something along those lines) to fit against the saturn so that the leds would be more of a group light rather than indicia leds being seen. If I remember correctly, it's just smooth, not painted skin.

Dummo: I didn't know how else to word it, haha. But if I can edit the title, you let me know.

Also, after looking for brake lights I stumbled across the strip people put across the bottom of tailgates that have reverse, brake, and turn lights..despite only about 8 inches being visible, I thought it'd be even more awesome to use that compared to a normal red light.

98 Forrest Green manual SL1- Rufus
-06/14/11-5/25/14-rear ended
98 Maroon manual SL1- Daphne
-96k miles-115k (10/23/15)- 140k (4/9/18)
-06/12/14-current

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98SatSl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98SatSl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98SatSl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:26 PM   #7
1.9 sohc
1.9 sohc has a spectacular aura about1.9 sohc has a spectacular aura about1.9 sohc has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL

When sanding and even with a dremel watch out because much heat at all will melt the plastic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1.9 sohc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1.9 sohc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1.9 sohc is offline   Reply With Quote