SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2011, 10:54 PM   #1
cort_dizzle
cort_dizzle is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
Default overheated, idling hot, a/c related? HELP!

hey there guys,
ok so the other day i did a stupid thing by accidentally letting my car idle parked for longer than 30minutes. (long story, dont ask)
so it of course overheated.
my main concern right now is that it idles very hot, the temperature needle jumps up really high, almost in the red H area... the vehicle (a 2002 saturn SL1) does have coolant in it but im worried there's something else wrong.

additionally, i have been noticing that my A/C is acting weird. i live in southwest Florida and it is very hot here. when my car is traveling at normal speeds the a/c blows cold and is fine. when i stop and my car is idling normally it seems to be fine but once my idling slows and the rpms drop, the air feels very warm and that is also when my temperature needle jumps up and starts to get closer to the red H area. its kinda freaking me out.

what could be wrong and what do you recommend i do? any help is soooo appreciated! thank you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cort_dizzle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cort_dizzle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cort_dizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2011, 02:05 AM   #2
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2
Default Re: overheated, idling hot, a/c related? HELP!

First off, while extended idling is not particularly good for a car, with a properly functioning cooling system, it should not hurt it (you should be able to idle all day long, with the a/c on, in 100 degree heat).

From what you report (reduction in a/c performance and temperature rising when stopped) it sounds like your fan is not functioning. The fan is necessary not only to control engine temperature, but also for the a/c.

Whenever the a/c is on, the fan should be on, so: start the car and turn on the a/c. Open the hood and take a look. If the fan is on, it should be obvious (it's very loud, you can see it spinning, and you can feel quite a lot of airflow into the engine bay).

Report back with the results and we can go from there. But, if it's not working, the first (easiest) thing to check is the relay. Make sure the horn works. Then swap the horn and a/c relays in the fuse box under the hood (they're labeled in the underside of the cover). If the fan now starts working and the horn doesn't work, all you need is a new relay.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #3
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

What ^^^he^^^ said.

With the AC on, engine temp should be very stable (except during initial warm up) because the fan should be running and all temp swings are controlled by the thermostat.

If the AC is off, it's normal operation of the temp gauge to move up before the fan kicks on.

Though it sounds like the fan may be suspect, it's not unusual to notice a slight drop in AC performance at idle. This would be an even greater change if you are low on AC charge or have any other AC issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
ehunter
ehunter has a spectacular aura aboutehunter has a spectacular aura about

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco 5sp Engine rebuild with the help of people here at 177K due to 500mi/qt oil consumption. After 2yrs I am back to 40mpg+ after discovering the refirb head I used was bad. Car runs better than a top. Now at 214k.

1996 SL2

Testing just the fan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnFFEFrlXlo
Testing the coolant fan system:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4pSWFE4kdQ

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ehunter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ehunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

With A/C off and car not moving (or moving very slow) you can expect the temp gauge to slowlyclimb to just under 3/4 scale and then the fan should come on and the temp gauge drop to just under 1/2 scale when the fan will turn off. This will repeat until that car starts moving over about30 mph, or the A/C is turned on.

You have a 2002 so the ECTS should be OK, and the temp indications are not unexpected if the fan/circuit is bad.

As noted above the fan relay is a simple check, also check fuses, and if they is not the issue, the next most common is a bad (or very weak) fan motor, especially in parts of the world where A/C is used 11 months of the year.

If the car is not moving and the fan is not working, the A/C will shut down on high pressuire to self protect.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:15 PM   #6
cort_dizzle

2002 SL1

the fan does work/is working but my temperate gauge slowly creeps bast the 3/4 mark and almost into the red when im idling at stop lights. the air will blow almost warm at that point.

last summer i did not have this issue as i would sit in my car in the parent pick-up line for about 20-30 minutes with the A/C on full blast waiting for my daughter to get out of school.

i did buy one of those cans of A/C recharge last year to give it a boost because it wasnt "kicking as much ass" as it thought it should. i tried to use the can again recently (on a warm night) but the pressure gauge showed that it was fine...

what could cause the A/C to be warm in general (especially during idling) and the car to overheat or get so close to the red warning mark? it shouldnt blow WARM air, i would expect it to just get a little weaker.

i am on VERY limited funds but i want to get fixed what needs to be fixed so i dont have larger repairs in my future

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cort_dizzle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-02-2011, 11:47 PM   #7
jim147
jim147 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
2008 AURA XE

I would recheck that fan and also see if anything got sucked up against the condenser. Your not moving air through the radiator and condenser with the fan for some reason.

jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jim147's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jim147 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jim147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:58 PM   #8
TwinRevver
Advanced Member
TwinRevver is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1995 SL1

the core in front of the radiator is restricted from road junk its needs to be cleaned out thoroughly

now with problems and getting a newer car but not a saturn :(
My 95 SL2 white top of the line car Priceless..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TwinRevver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TwinRevver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TwinRevver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #9
cort_dizzle

2002 SL1

thanks guys. i will look into these things tomorrow, though im not super sure where these parts are located... lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
cort_dizzle

2002 SL1

ok so awesome news (sarcasm)
the fan is now not working! what the hellll man!
there are a few fuses that seem to pertain to the a/c and fan. there are 30 something fuses that are slender and green and also a/c and fan fuses that are larger square and grey. they had different numbers on them so i didnt want to swap them and blow something up. i did switch the green one with the horn and that didnt do anything. how would i test the motor to see if it's dead? it seems to be free of debris and moves freely also (i gave it a little spin). could the electrical connection also be bad?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #11
Falkkon
Falkkon is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1

Maxi and Mini fuses are usually transparent so when you pull one, you could see if the little metal S under the tinted clear plastic of the fuse is broken. If it is, replace one that has the same number marked on the top of it. Checking fuses is always a good idea, but you're probably looking at a cooling fan relay.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Falkkon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Falkkon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Falkkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #12
cort_dizzle

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkkon View Post
Checking fuses is always a good idea, but you're probably looking at a cooling fan relay.
is that the little wirey connector to the fan motor?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #13
SilverSpoon
SilverSpoon is on a distinguished road

So I actually just went through something like this. It was a very strange thing because I acutely took the motor out and bench tested it and it was working perfectly out of the car. So I put it back in and did all the other suggestions to get it working after crossing the motor of the problem list. I changed the ECTS, cleaned the connector, cleaned all grounds, checked all the relays and fuses, did some test with a multimeter and all checked out so I was at a point where it wasn't adding up. I finally decided to change the motor regardless of working or not because I just assumed it was old anyways and might go out soon. After taking it apart again and changing the fan motor it actually started working. As far as I can tell a weak motor will actually not work in the car at all. So while bench testing it yielded a good result the power flowing through the car is not enough to power a weak or laboring fan motor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SilverSpoon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SilverSpoon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SilverSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #14
Falkkon
Falkkon is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=944485 is a picture of the fan relay. It's pretty much plug-n-play, like the fuses, except relays are basically electrically operated switches, much like how some cars can switch off their headlights after you exit the car (without having to do so yourself).

SilverSpoon, you're correct that even though you might have adequate power flowing to the motor, if one of the components of the fan motor itself is burnt out, the motor itself wont function properly. Much like a speaker that has a little cut in the rubber - you can hear sound out of it, but it just won't sound the way it should. I should have thought of it when you posted your problem.

As far as your problem goes, Cort, keep chasing the cheap stuff first - fuses, a trip to the junkyard for the relay, THEN tackle the fan itself. Good luck.

~JP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Falkkon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Falkkon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Falkkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:53 PM   #15
Omen44
Omen44 is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XR
Default 09 Saturn outlook. Over heating

Okay here is my issue. I have an 09 Saturn Outlook. 2wd. XE. I had an issue with the car overheating. I found out a bad water pump. I changed out water pump and thermostat. New coolant. New oil. New thermostat which I bought from GM. New water pump.
My wife tell me it's overheating again yesterday. I find a severed high pressure hose coming from the housing for the thermostat. Replaced that last night. Now when you drive it, it hovers around 210 degrees. And then slowly creeps up. The. Drops back to 210. Fans work. And now I have no idea what's going on. The fan even keep running when I turn car off because it's running hot.

Please help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Omen44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Omen44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Omen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:02 PM   #16
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Mileage? Using a/c when observing 210F operating temperatures? Is coolant being released thru the coolant reservoir cap? Any debris blocking the a/c condenser coils, impeding air flow?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:13 PM   #17
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You have posted in the wrong forum.

Your vehicle is an Outlook. You have posted in the S Series.

You need to repost in the correct forum section to get the accurate responses you want.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote