SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2018, 12:39 PM   #1
mjollnir79
mjollnir79 is on a distinguished road

Default New oil, old filter, can I replace the filter if there's oil in the car?

Hello everyone.

I wanted to start doing my own oil changes in my 2006 saturn ion. I've done oil changes countless times in other cars. However after I drained my oil, put the plug back in and on to the filter... I'm usually used to just unscrewing the filter with my hands or a oil filter wrench but with an ion it's right under the hood. Well, after I push fresh oil in I realised I didn't have a large enough socket to get it off. When I pick one up, can I take out the filter while there is full oil in the car?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjollnir79's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mjollnir79 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mjollnir79 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2018, 01:52 PM   #2
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: New oil, old filter, can I replace the filter if there's oil in the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjollnir79 View Post
Hello everyone.

I wanted to start doing my own oil changes in my 2006 saturn ion. I've done oil changes countless times in other cars. However after I drained my oil, put the plug back in and on to the filter... I'm usually used to just unscrewing the filter with my hands or a oil filter wrench but with an ion it's right under the hood. Well, after I push fresh oil in I realised I didn't have a large enough socket to get it off. When I pick one up, can I take out the filter while there is full oil in the car?
Yes, you can replace the filter after changing the oil. You'll lose very little oil - especially if you let the engine sit for a while beforehand.

If you plan to keep the car any significant amount of time, you should consider buying the special shallow socket for the oil filter cap. A regular 32mm socket is far too large and won't work because the intake manifold prevents it from being placed squarely on the oil filter lid. You can find the special socket at most auto parts stores for under $10.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 178K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 187K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:09 AM   #3
02 LW300
02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: New oil, old filter, can I replace the filter if there's oil in the car?

Next time change the filter first, a small amount of dirty oil drains into the sump when you remove the filter. The special socket is a good idea.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car, now if I can only quit hitting deer. I have hit two this year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:51 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If your oil filter cap is on top of the filter housing as shown in the drawing below, yes you can replace the oil filter whether the engine has oil in it or not.
Attached Images
File Type: gif TifToGif.gif (38.3 KB, 1 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:48 PM   #5
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

The socket I purchased from O'Reilly's is found in the link below. The hex on the oil filter cap is large - 32mm. Although the socket looks like as if it's an impact type don't let it's appearance fool you, it is not.

https://www.lislecorp.com/specialty-...r-gm-2-2l-32mm

FWIW, I remove the filter while the oil is draining. The cap and housing are then cleaned of the old oil remnant prior to to installing the new filter and o-ring seal. There is no need to wait until the engine oil drain plug is reinstalled to do those things.

294,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote