SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2019, 08:56 PM   #1
PaulR
PaulR will become famous soon enough

Default Another flex pipe repair or a new exhaust section?

After less than four years, it is time to replace my leaky exhaust flex pipe again. What is the my option? Weld another piece in or buy an aftermarket section from the catalytic converter back to the first joint in the system. It is about a hundred and twenty dollars to have someone graft another flex piece in, and $95 for this replacement part. The thought of crawling around like a snake on the ground trying to replace this piece has little appeal to me at this point in my life. And alas, of course the replacement exhaust is not made of stainless steel. This guy has been selling these things on eBay, so has anyone on this forum replaced theirs with this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (43.3 KB, 12 views)

PaulR

2008 XR3 5 speed, heated seats, leather, premium sound , 18" wheels, center armrest
2008 XE5 CEL Special Edition, 5 speed, heated seats, panoramic moonroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2019, 11:38 PM   #2
eric08
eric08 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Another flex pipe repair or a new exhaust section?

I did purchase this to replace one on an XR coupe, or at least it looks like the one. Canadian seller on eBay. Other than a little trimming, as it was an inch or two long, it bolted up fine and seemed of good quality. However, the most important thing to know is longevity, and I cannot speak to that as it's only been in service for 500 miles at this point. I too have no love for exhaust work anymore but I was already crawling around for other issues so I went ahead with it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eric08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eric08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eric08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:20 PM   #3
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

I've gone the route of having mine replaced in stainless a few years back now and also removed the secondary cat which was behind it. Before that I had replaced the flex pipe 3 times and just got annoyed with replacing a failing part.

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:13 PM   #4
PaulR
PaulR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric08 View Post
I did purchase this to replace one on an XR coupe, or at least it looks like the one. Canadian seller on eBay. Other than a little trimming, as it was an inch or two long, it bolted up fine and seemed of good quality. However, the most important thing to know is longevity, and I cannot speak to that as it's only been in service for 500 miles at this point. I too have no love for exhaust work anymore but I was already crawling around for other issues so I went ahead with it.
Thanks for your responses. Yup, this vendor is from Canada and I figured some trimming of the new part was necessary. How did you get the sensor out of the old pipe without destroying it? Could you also reuse the original clamp? I have the stainless steel replacement gasket that goes in between the new section and the catalytic converter.

PaulR

2008 XR3 5 speed, heated seats, leather, premium sound , 18" wheels, center armrest
2008 XE5 CEL Special Edition, 5 speed, heated seats, panoramic moonroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:52 PM   #5
eric08
eric08 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
Thanks for your responses. Yup, this vendor is from Canada and I figured some trimming of the new part was necessary. How did you get the sensor out of the old pipe without destroying it? Could you also reuse the original clamp? I have the stainless steel replacement gasket that goes in between the new section and the catalytic converter.
I used an oxygen sensor socket and a breaker bar. It was stubborn but did finally come loose. Actually the worst part ended up being trying to fish the pigtail all the way up into the cavity above the starter and cv shaft. Fun times lying on your back!

I wanted to reuse the old clamp very badly as it is a band style and would have been preferable to the traditional shackle style I ended up having to use. I spent extra time trying to cut everything apart in such a way that the new pipe would slide in place but there was too much atrophy afoot and I had to abandon that plan. I ended up cutting the muffler inlet just beyond the OE clamp and still had some fit issues due to age/deterioration. One of the reasons I detest doing exhaust work. For locales where rust is not an issue I think this may be a fairly straightforward swap of components, but at any rate measure carefully and if your inlet is in better shape than mine was and you're better at making relief cuts than I apparently was then you may be able to use the OE clamp. Worse case, you're off to the parts store for clamps/or adapters to get the ends to mate. I figure since the OE muffler appears to be a unicorn I will have to bring it to a shop if/when the muffler fails to have something welded in anyway so in the end I felt better about having to carve it.

The studs that hold the flex pipe to the cat may break on you. I applied very little pressure with just my palm on a 3/8 ratchet and all three snapped when I first began looking into the extent of my exhaust issue. Good news is if they do break there is some clearance to thread them out the top of the flange. A trip to the hardware store for bolts of the appropriate length/thread will have you snugged up and on your way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eric08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eric08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eric08 is offline   Reply With Quote