SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2019, 07:02 PM   #21
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: LSJ Throttle Body Swap w LE5 Throttlebody Adapter Plate

With several years passing since your original post, you have a history on this mod. Care to share before and after results like any time trials (0-60 mph/96.5 kph?), fuel mileage, etc?

Its also a good thing not sticking a turbo or supercharger on without extensive research. As you may know (or not), anytime anyone slaps on a turbo or supercharger without extensive research on understanding the difference between naturally aspirated and forced induction usually blows up their engine. At the least, lean out fuel mixtures once positive boost is created, resulting in melting pistons from lack of serious tuning. With Saturns, stock pcm/ecm modules cannot be tuned so a piggyback module is needed along with at least one other sensor. Redlines(?) with stock supercharger comes tuned but not everything is spelled out. In the tuned ecm, a two or three bar map sensor is needed to measure positive pressure when a turbo or super charger generates boost. Normally aspirated engines suck air all the time so a vacuum is always present and the stock map sensor only measures one bar. Attempting to add a super or turbo charger without upgrading the ecm and map sensor guarantees a blown engine or at least melting pistons from leaned out fuel mixtures. In EFI systems, electronic components are the keys to mods - ecm tuning (if possible) along with a different map sensor to tell the ecm the change from vacuum to boost so the ecm knows when to push more fuel in to adjust for the greater volume of air forced into the cylinders. No one has to accept anything I write. Just read specs of any stock engine with boost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2019, 07:45 PM   #22
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member
Samtherecordman is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
With several years passing since your original post, you have a history on this mod. Care to share before and after results like any time trials (0-60 mph/96.5 kph?), fuel mileage, etc?

Its also a good thing not sticking a turbo or supercharger on without extensive research. As you may know (or not), anytime anyone slaps on a turbo or supercharger without extensive research on understanding the difference between naturally aspirated and forced induction usually blows up their engine. At the least, lean out fuel mixtures once positive boost is created, resulting in melting pistons from lack of serious tuning. With Saturns, stock pcm/ecm modules cannot be tuned so a piggyback module is needed along with at least one other sensor. Redlines(?) with stock supercharger comes tuned but not everything is spelled out. In the tuned ecm, a two or three bar map sensor is needed to measure positive pressure when a turbo or super charger generates boost. Normally aspirated engines suck air all the time so a vacuum is always present and the stock map sensor only measures one bar. Attempting to add a super or turbo charger without upgrading the ecm and map sensor guarantees a blown engine or at least melting pistons from leaned out fuel mixtures. In EFI systems, electronic components are the keys to mods - ecm tuning (if possible) along with a different map sensor to tell the ecm the change from vacuum to boost so the ecm knows when to push more fuel in to adjust for the greater volume of air forced into the cylinders. No one has to accept anything I write. Just read specs of any stock engine with boost.
I agree 100%!!! Plus, you will never get better fuel millage then a "Naturally Aspirated" engine in my opinion and experience! Hi Five!
Agree again on boosting, you "must" upgrade the internal parts if you plan on doing so, as your engine will not last more then that so call Saturday Evening Drive or Late Friday Spin .... LoL!

I did not mention but I do have that Jet Mass Air Flow Sensor.

Saturn Ion 3 Quad Coupe 3 with Sports Appearance package with Aura Pro Bass Shakers under the front seats, Kenwood Excelon Mono Amplifier and Infinity Kappa Perfect and I'm In Heaven!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Samtherecordman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Samtherecordman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Samtherecordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:08 PM   #23
Samtherecordman
Advanced Member
Samtherecordman is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post

The best fuel millage I will tell you this summer. The most I ever did is up to 800 Km on full gaz tank. That is driving like an absolute granny all the way.

Acceleration I will tell you in two days or so. The car needs oil change and get the Rechargable Air Filter Fully Clean! Its gonna be ripping pave even if I have Winter Tires On!!!

Love my Lil-Ion!!! ♥♥♥

Saturn Ion 3 Quad Coupe 3 with Sports Appearance package with Aura Pro Bass Shakers under the front seats, Kenwood Excelon Mono Amplifier and Infinity Kappa Perfect and I'm In Heaven!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Samtherecordman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Samtherecordman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Samtherecordman is offline   Reply With Quote