SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion

Old 09-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
slow-poke
slow-poke is on a distinguished road

Default Electric Power Steering

The Saturn Vue EPS units are becoming quite popular with the vintage car crowd. I recently installed EPS from a 2003 Vue in a 66 Mustang.

I have made countless modifications to this car and this is the best one to date.

The EPS units are plentiful (and inexpensive) in the bone yard. Fabrication and installation is not difficult if your somewhat handy.

I designed a controller that automatically adjusts the assist level with speed, one finger in the parking lot and sports car feel from 5MPH up. Much better feel than hydraulic (no floaty feeling on the highway)

Details on the installation are starting in post #97 in the Mod and Custom thread at the Vintage Mustang Forum.

If any of you have used but good units, likely be some buyers.

Please feel free to add ideas or critique

If there are any GM class 2 experts reading this please PM me I have a few questions.
slow-poke is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Electric Power Steering

Are you seeing, hearing, reading any issues related to these EPS units with brush problems (wear)?
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:37 AM   #3
slow-poke
slow-poke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Are you seeing, hearing, reading any issues related to these EPS units with brush problems (wear)?
I have done a fair bit of reading and brush wear does not seem to be an issue. That being said GM has a recall on numerous EPS units, but the bad units are well documented if you do a google search.

The good Koyo units with the metal box from the Vue, Equinox etc have a good reputation, some people report having several hundred thousand miles with no issues.
slow-poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Well, there's brushed and brushless motors with the (presumed first generation) brushed motors having their teething problems as written in this article; http://www.searchautoparts.com/motor...power-steering. There are some members posting EPS problems with varying outcomes. My only familiarity is with industrial servo motors used in a 3-axis (x-y-z) application using 3-phase AC power. The control and feedback circuits are similar with the industrial version having a little more power. My guess is downsizing circuitry and mechanical engineering adapted these controls for steering to eliminate hydraulic systems.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote