SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2000, 04:45 PM   #1
abkaiser
abkaiser will become famous soon enough

Default Oil cap size and periodic maintenance

Got two questions:

1) I get my oil changed at Valvoline stations (although I'm probably going to switch to getting it done at the dealers because of other posters comments, and because: Every time they go to pump in new oil, I hear them complain that the hole to dump the oil in is too small. Apparently the pump nozzle they use is bigger than the oil fill hole, and after evey oil change I have to smell the spilled oil for a few dozen miles, even when they pump slow and carefully. Has anyone else experienced this? I have a 99 SC2. Would I just be better off going to the dealership?

2) I've got 26K on my car. I bought it new. Where can I get a listing of recommended times for car tune-ups? Can I wait till 100K? Or do I do the 30, 60, and 100K check-ups? How much do they usually cost? (Yes, I'm new at this...)

Thanks,

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to abkaiser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help abkaiser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2000, 11:28 PM   #2
RugRatSW2
RugRatSW2 is on a distinguished road

How big does that filler hole have to be? Scary on how they would handle replacing/filling the tranny ATF through the dipstick.
You're thinking right. Vote with your wallet by going someplace else - your current mechanic has no common sense.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RugRatSW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RugRatSW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-08-2000, 11:30 PM   #3
Iceman

Andy...my only experience with the quick change artist was that they stripped the threads on my oil plug, put in an oversized one, leaked a lot than had to replace the pan. I have 2 Saturns, have used two dealers for all of my maintenance and found the service is excellent and reasonable...and if something goes wrong they will stand behind the work.

Your dealer should be able to give you the schedule for mx, the only one I found that was a little pricey was the 60000mi check. But when you get used to mx which for the most part is under $25.00 for all of the other checks, ou get spoiled.

The only problem I have had in 72000 mi is a leaking top trans seal, which I did not have to fix right away, but got sick of the fluid on the drive. I just can't complain about the service or the cost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Iceman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Iceman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 03-09-2000, 01:41 PM   #4
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Run, don't walk away from that place before they wreck your Saturn. spilling oil all over is just inexcuseable - sounds like the Wal-Mart place around here. every time I'd have my 94 Mazda in, it would stink for 2 days until the spilled oil burned off the exhaust pipes.

The kind of shop you described would probably put old style anti-freeze in your car instead of DexCool.

Your tuneup interval is normally 30K for spark plugs and air filter. Also, 30K for auto trans fluid and filter if you have auto. By all that's holy, don't let one of the quik lube places have at your tranny. Your filter is external, and no reason at all to open the pan.

Unless your Saturn dealer is a ripoff or incompetent (mine's first rate), take your SC to the dealer. You'll be glad you did.

Once let Jiffy Boob try to rotate the tires on my previous SL. Guess what, they put an air wrench on the plastic hubcap nuts thinking they were metal lug nuts.

Enjoy your saturn.

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread