SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2000, 02:06 AM   #1
grumpy
grumpy is on a distinguished road

Default Fuel gauges

i drive a 1994 SL-2. the only problem i am having with it is that my fuel gauge is malfunctioning. whenever my tank gets to be about half full, the gauge reads that the tank is close to empty. in fact, the gauge fluctuates fairly rapidly between below empty and half full whenever i drive it without more than a half a tank of gas. and on top of that, whenever the tank is about 1 quarter full, the needle drops below empty and stays there until i fill it up again. but when the needle drops to below empty and i park or drive uphill, the needle begins to go to where it should be. Please help me solve this problem. i live in california and the gas prices just went up again so i can't afford to fill up my gas tank every three days because the fuel gauge is malfunctioning.

sincerely
tyler r.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2000, 07:03 AM   #2
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

My 99 SL started behaving like this and it turned out to be the fuel gauge itself in the cluster not the sending unit in the tank. The retailer was able to diagnose it quickly.

I hear that the older instrument cluster can be serviced. The 99 version must be replaced as a unit if anything goes bad.

If you need a cluster, you might want to try joeybagodonuts (www.saturnusedparts.com).

Mine was randomly dropping from 3/4 to nearly empty at weird intervals. Stopping and restarting the engine usually would clear it for a few weeks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2000, 11:37 PM   #3
grumpy
grumpy is on a distinguished road

thank you for your advise BobL. i will be contacting Joeybagodonuts soon and i will see if he can help me.

thanx again

grumpy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread