SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2000, 09:48 PM   #1
Slidder
Slidder is on a distinguished road

Default Audio System Capacitors

I'm looking for feedback for those of you that have installed "high end" aftermarket stereo systems. I'm running 4ea (6 1/2S) 3-ways with a 4-channel RF Amp (Power 400a4) and am getting ready to install a 10" Kappa sub with a second RF amp (Punch 250a2 or 360a2, not sure yet) which I'll run bridged. Should I intall a 1/2f cap or just wait and see if the sub dims the lights when it hits? I'm not sure when the right time is to add a cap. Also don't want to waste $100 if I can help it! Thanks in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Slidder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Slidder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2000, 10:39 AM   #2
Saldana SC2 2K
Saldana SC2 2K will become famous soon enough

I installed a Eclipse 650w X 5 amp and did not add any caps, have no problems. I dont think you have to use any caps.. Just make sure the power cable going to the amp is big enough to handle the power. Also best to use the car frame for gnd then running it from the batt..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saldana SC2 2K's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saldana SC2 2K reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2000, 10:46 AM   #3
Slidder
Slidder is on a distinguished road

Right now I'm running 8-gauge power and ground wire. Still trying to decide whether to go to 4-gauge or not. The ground is hooked to a great place on the underside of the truck on the frame.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Slidder's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Slidder reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-26-2000, 05:31 PM   #4
JasonD
JasonD is on a distinguished road

Allways good to hear other Saturn owners talking about installs.

Caps are not only to prevent headlight dimming they also help the overall quality of sound in your car. They add a more continuous flow of power to your amps. in may case a 1 farad cap gave my subs a much harder "HIT". Caps can also act as relays in the stereo system helping to get rid of some unwanted noise. As for the dimming though, the cap is only a bandage for a much larger problem. If you do get dimming a cap will only mask the real problem, which is a lack of power coming from the alternator. This strain on your alt will eventually lead the alt to fail, as did one of mine(with another nearing failure)
But if you want better sound and harder hitting base then get one. Also look into a new alt(depends on how loud you listen to music) I am near deaf.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JasonD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JasonD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-26-2000, 05:38 PM   #5
JasonD
JasonD is on a distinguished road

Thought I recognized the name. Just came back from Sounddomain. I tried to post a reply to your cap message there, but that message board does not let me post for some reason. There are defeinitely some good posts with good advice over there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JasonD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JasonD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread