SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
toots61
toots61 is on a distinguished road

Default 2003 saturn vue VTI transmission

Recently purhcased a 2003 saturn vue (from local saturn dealer) with only 28K miles, one previous owner. Car was in immaculate condition, back seat was never even sat in. Not knowing too much about saturns, I talked with the service manager and asked some questions about timing belts, etc. Not once was this issue with the VTI transmissions ever brought up. They even agreed to do a 30K complete service on the vehicle as part of the deal only to find out later that Saturn recommends a complete flush of the transmission with an additive at 30K for this transmission. That part of the service didn't happen. Car now has 31K miles on it and already have had to replace the battery, a solenoid switch in the steering column and yet another switch that had something to do with the brake lights ($475). In doing some research about these problems, I discovered all of the looming problems with the VTI transmission and the pending class action lawsuit. I feel really taken and now I don't know what to do because it is not a matter of if it is just when I can expect major problems to the tune of $6,000. I can either buy an extended warrantly on the transmission (around $1,700) or just sell the vehicle. That may be my best plan of action. Either way I'll never buy another Saturn!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toots61's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toots61 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toots61 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2008, 01:05 PM   #2
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line
Default Re: 2003 saturn vue VTI transmission

The highest failure rates for the VTi are in the AWD version. Less so in the FWD. There are some that will try to put the fear of God into you over the transmission but not all of them will fail, so the "it's not if, but when" arguement is more emotional than factual. In reality, no one but Saturn knows what the failure rate is. Most rational estimates put it at around 20 percent or so for the AWD version. I know this isn't exactly calming, but if you're not having a trans problem now, you're worrying about milk that has not even spilled.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
toots61
toots61 is on a distinguished road

That is true...no problems yet and it is a FWD. Just reacting on alot of stuff that I've been told and read about. I've actually talked to the dealership about this and am hopeful that there will be some sort of compromise if there happens to be an impending problem. With my luck, I will be in that 20%!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toots61's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toots61 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toots61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:26 PM   #4
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Proctor View Post
I know this isn't exactly calming, but if you're not having a trans problem now, you're worrying about milk that has not even spilled.
Tell that to the long list of folks who have reported failures here. At least you can sell the car without dumping another 5+K into it if the VTI hasn't yet failed. There is no way I'd advise someone to hang onto one of these things. It is an accident just waiting to happen. Sell it while you can, chalk it up to experience, and do more research next time.

I also got boned by Saturn's crappy AWD system for the same reason. I was lazy and didn't do any research before I bought it. Now, 2 years after the purchase it is worth less than half what I paid for it. Go Saturn....meh. Never again.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:34 PM   #5
tml
tml is on a distinguished road

i have a 2003 saturn Vue FWD VTi trasnmission i think its going on sure i have 95000 miles on it and at stup lights it slams into the gear or from reverse to drive it will do it to is this a sign of it going

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tml's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tml reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:48 AM   #6
TimDart
TimDart is on a distinguished road

I could not live with a car that MIGHT have an issue that's SO very expensive to fix.

Won't a failure wipe out all the market value of the car? Why put $6K into a car whose
value is less than $6K?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TimDart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TimDart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TimDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:13 AM   #7
linx3566
linx3566 will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE Green Line
Mad Re: 2003 saturn vue VTI transmission

It is a shame that such a chronic problem is not addressed by Saturn and fixed properly. Overall the vehicle is a good car but the transimission makes it unreliable and no fix. Kills the value of the car. Other OEM would have fixed the transmission but Saturn is " a different car company"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to linx3566's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help linx3566 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
linx3566 is offline   Reply With Quote