SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2014, 09:19 PM   #1
turbobuick33
Advanced Member
turbobuick33 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
Default Questions about an 04 ION

Im looking to buy an 04 ION 5-speed with 150K miles on it. How reliable are these cars? Does the 5-speed manual trans have shifter cables like the Saturn SL2? How good are the 2.2 echo motors? Do they have a timing belt or chain? Are there any other common problems with these cars?

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to turbobuick33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help turbobuick33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
turbobuick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2014, 10:39 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Questions about an 04 ION

They're 300k+ cars. The ecotec engines are bullet period as long as they're maintained and a few simple rules are followed. The manual does have cables, but we have yet to see a problem on here with them. These engines have a timing chain, which by 04 all the issues with it were worked out.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:55 AM   #3
kevin.st56
kevin.st56 has a spectacular aura aboutkevin.st56 has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

i would imagine these cars being long lasting cars, besides the few minor issues here and there (comes regularly with any vehicle really). i bought mine with 139k miles 3 years ago, and im at 219k miles now, and it still runs as if its brand new.

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
94 Honda civic automatic "VTEC yo"
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe) {Wrecked}

"A problem clearly stated, is a problem half solved."

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevin.st56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:48 PM   #4
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

No joke these are one of the best engines ever made.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
kevin.st56

2003 ION-2 Sedan

expecially with how hard i usually drive it too lol

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-24-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
peepsion
peepsion is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I bought my 04 ion manual almost two years ago and have no regrets at all. The 2.2 ecotec motor is probably one of the best motors GM ever made. I work for a chevy dealer and we see these cars come in with 200k+ all the time. And the manual 5 speeds are great transmissions. The only downfall of the ions is that they are pretty good at warping brake rotors depending on how you drive them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to peepsion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help peepsion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
peepsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
kevin.st56

2003 ION-2 Sedan

some of the common issues i seen are mainly bushing (sway bar bushings, tie rod end, and swaybar end links) go bad pretty quick, but they are relatively cheap and easy to replace. if you ever do have to replace them, dont get anything less than Moog. they cost a little more, but its worth it from what i hear. the coil pack (07 ions have the coils individual) and the ICM that mounts on top are faily common to fail, and simple to replace. idk if common or not, but the altenator went out in my ion at around 150k-180k miles, but thats not hard to replace either, and not too expensive (around $100 at autozone).

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #8
truck1985
truck1985 is a jewel in the roughtruck1985 is a jewel in the roughtruck1985 is a jewel in the rough

2004 ION-3 Sedan

I have owned a 2004 Ion with the 5spd manual since 2007. It had about 50K miles on it when I bought it. It now has over 150K on it. I've had problems with the timing chain, the tensioner went bad. The new tensioners that they sell now fixed some sort of defect that happened in like one of every several thousand cars that came off the line. That problem is very rare, so I guess I'm just lucky. Other than that one problem, everything else has either been normal wear or due to my wife not listening to me (she over heated the engine by taking it on the highway when she knew I had to wait til payday to buy the new radiator it needed and blew the head gasket and warped the head, that was big fun to fix). I personally drive a 2004 Chevy Cavalier, which has the same engine (except the Cavalier has a power steering pump on the left side of the engine that isn't on the Ion since the Ion has electrically assisted power steering) and the only issue I've had with it was caused by a previous owner partially stripping the wires that come off of the ICM and then just leaving them as-is, not even electrical tape on them. Corrosion got to them and caused an intermittent stall/no start problem. I'm getting ready to buy my wife a new van (since we're having a third baby next spring) and planning to keep both my Ion and Cavalier because they are so reliable and easy to work on. The ecotec, if properly maintained, I would say that it a very good/solid/reliable engine.

Truck1985
2004 Saturn Ion3 Manual
1992 Saturn SC Auto
No mods

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to truck1985's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help truck1985 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
truck1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #9
Tyguyhihi
Tyguyhihi is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

It is generally a reliable drivetrain. I pull a flat deck trailer with my 04 Ion regularly, it has a habit of bottoming out the rear suspension... 270,000 km on it and I've never had to go beyond changing the spark plugs. Not even a tranny oil change. The body has its quirks, but it's a great car for the cost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tyguyhihi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tyguyhihi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tyguyhihi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:44 AM   #10
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyguyhihi View Post
Not even a tranny oil change. .
Good luck with that method

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:12 PM   #11
Tyguyhihi
Tyguyhihi is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysvue View Post
Good luck with that method
Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tyguyhihi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tyguyhihi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tyguyhihi is offline   Reply With Quote