SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
turbobuick33
Advanced Member
turbobuick33 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
Default How can I tell if the inner tie rods are bad?

How can I tell if the inner tie rods are bad?

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to turbobuick33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help turbobuick33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
turbobuick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
ssewall
ssewall is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Default Re: How can I tell if the inner tie rods are bad?

Disconnect the outer tie rod end from the knuckle, flex the rod up, and let go. Repeat upper left and right. If it drops after letting go the inner end is bad, but success doesn't necessarily mean it's good.

What kind of problem are you experiencing?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssewall's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssewall reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Only test I know of requires you to remove the TRE from the knuckle and raise it up a bit, if it falls under it's own weight it's bad. There ought to be some kind of shaking test as well but I'm not sure.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

I was also wondering what the exact min/max play spec was on the inner/outer tie rods. I have been getting the lifetime alignments from Firestone and last time we brought in our '02 SL1 they claimed they could not align it unless we replaced all the innner/outer tie rods. When I asked them how they knew they were bad, they just told me there was "too much" play, and were unable to quote exactly how much "play" was acceptable.

The car seems to handle ok for the most part and had ~130k miles on the original suspension. So Its not completely unrealistic that they might need replacing, I just suspect its their way of 'upselling' me on the service.

Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

My way of checking tie rods is to jack up the side you are testing and grab the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock and try to move the tire back and forth from left to right, If its "tight" and does not have any movement the joints are good, If theres a noticeable movement from excessive play (back and forth) a joint is worn it can be the inner tie rod or the outter tie rod or both.

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:00 AM   #6
turbobuick33
Advanced Member
turbobuick33 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

I bought the inner tie rods today at Autozone and I noticed that one tie rod is really tight and I can't move it by hand. But the other one I can move it with my hand with light force up & down, left & right.. Is this normal? Should new tie rods have no movement at all?

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to turbobuick33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help turbobuick33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
turbobuick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:32 AM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

They should be very difficult to move before being installed, you have 1 bad one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:31 AM   #8
batmangsxr600
batmangsxr600 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveeagle View Post
I was also wondering what the exact min/max play spec was on the inner/outer tie rods. I have been getting the lifetime alignments from Firestone and last time we brought in our '02 SL1 they claimed they could not align it unless we replaced all the innner/outer tie rods. When I asked them how they knew they were bad, they just told me there was "too much" play, and were unable to quote exactly how much "play" was acceptable.

The car seems to handle ok for the most part and had ~130k miles on the original suspension. So Its not completely unrealistic that they might need replacing, I just suspect its their way of 'upselling' me on the service.
Reading your response got me thinking. Maybe someone could help me better understand. I work in a tire shop n when we see too much play I thought it was the ball joints? Normally I note it as check front end steering/suspension but reading it could be the tie rod do they both have the same symptoms of needing replacement? (School me)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to batmangsxr600's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help batmangsxr600 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
batmangsxr600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:58 AM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Attempting to move the tire slightly left and right as turning will allow feeling the play in the combination of outer tie rod end, inner tie rod, and steering rack bushing. Determining exactly what has failed takes more work.

Lower ball joint is checked with a pry bar. One or both wheels off of ground and then pry up on bottom of knuckle to compress spring and strut, should not move. Pry between LCA and knuckle bottom and it does not take a lot of force to see if the lower ball is loose.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote