SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
turbobuick33
Advanced Member
turbobuick33 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
Default How do I remove the wheel bearing race?

I removed the wheel bearing and the race is stuck inside. What is the best way to remove the race?

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to turbobuick33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help turbobuick33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
turbobuick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2014, 10:39 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: How do I remove the wheel bearing race?

Is this a front bearing, are you talking about the outer race? Best way to remove that is with a press.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:06 AM   #3
turbobuick33
Advanced Member
turbobuick33 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Is this a front bearing, are you talking about the outer race? Best way to remove that is with a press.

Yes it is the front bearing and the outer race of the bearing is stuck inside. I'm using the harbor freight wheel bearing press tool. I tried using the adapters to press out the race and it didn't work. I was thinking of using a chisel but I'm afraid I might score up the surface then the bearing won't go in easy.

http://www.harborfreight.com/fwd-fro...ers-66829.html

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to turbobuick33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help turbobuick33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
turbobuick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:18 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Snap ring removed? Clean out rust behind race. Find a press, Harbor Freight has several and 12 ton usually does the job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #5
slapshot 11
slapshot 11 has a spectacular aura aboutslapshot 11 has a spectacular aura aboutslapshot 11 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL1

What I did to facilitate removal of the outer race is to find a thick steel washer with a outside diameter just barely smaller than the hole in the knuckle. I did have to do some grinding and trial and error to get the right size. Maybe one could find a socket to fit, I could not. Anyway, then that washer will just catch the edge of the outer race and with a press it can be pushed out. I liberally applied Kroil before and during the process, and it came out with a bang.. Like oldnuc said, make sure the snap ring on the outside side of the knuckle is removed, and it is then pushed out towards the side of the snap ring. The real critical part of the whole job is to press the hub in perfectly straight, sometimes a 2 man job. Go very slow and keep a close eye on how straight the hub is going in. You do not want to cock the hub in the inner race of the bearing when pressing the hub in. Remember, the INNER RACE must be supported when pressing the hub into the bearing. If you do not, you will be doing this job again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slapshot 11's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slapshot 11 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slapshot 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:29 PM   #6
GeekOnTheHill
GeekOnTheHill is a jewel in the roughGeekOnTheHill is a jewel in the roughGeekOnTheHill is a jewel in the roughGeekOnTheHill is a jewel in the rough

There are some car repair jobs I pay other people to do. That's one of them.

-Richard

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GeekOnTheHill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GeekOnTheHill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GeekOnTheHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:23 PM   #7
td1238
Master Member
td1238 will become famous soon enoughtd1238 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Back when I had my '51 Chevy, I always used a king pin and a hammer. Must use a king pin because unhardened steel won't work well.

The first bearing I replaced on my '99 Saturn I used a press. The Chinese garbage failed in a year, and not having access to that press again, I used the old hammer method to replace the failed Chinese bearing with a good American made Timken bearing. The Chinese bearing failed in under a year (more like 6 months), and the Timken bearing is still silent in probably 2 years.

Since then I replaced both front wheel bearings on a friend's '96 Saturn using the hammer method. It should actually be called the hammer and vice method. Here it is:

Using a hammer and a hard steel drift, and wearing safety glasses, hammer out the race by giving a solid blow alternately 180 degrees apart. Keep alternating. Do not stay on one side or the race will hang up and possibly stick worse.

You will need a device or array of metal or wooden blocks assembled with an opening in the middle to place the knuckle assembly over, so that the bearing can be driven down into the opening.

Once it is out, clean the opening and dress off any protruding rust. Oil it well and oil the new bearing. Place the new bearing into the opening. Press it in with a larger sized vice. Use the old bearing to press it in the final amount so that it is recessed.

I have also hammered in bearings with good success, but the blows must be flatly against the outer race only. They should never ever ever be against the inner race so that the blows flow through the balls, or the balls and races will be destroyed. Also, a flat drift is best, as there is a small risk of distortion of the race. It is better to use a vice to press in the new bearing, and to use the old bearing as a final pressing aid.

WEAR SAFETY GLASSES! Parts are under extreme pressure, and things can blow apart violently.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to td1238's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help td1238 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
td1238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:06 AM   #8
BIGGUNDOCTOR
BIGGUNDOCTOR has a spectacular aura aboutBIGGUNDOCTOR has a spectacular aura aboutBIGGUNDOCTOR has a spectacular aura about

1998 SW2

Do you have a MIG welder? If so , run a bead around the inside of the bearing race being careful not to blow through the race, and turn it upside down. It will fall out when the bead cools, and shrinks. We did this a lot for bearings in tight places when I worked at Jelly Belly Candy. We used a TIG, but a MIG will also do it.

I just did mine at work, and used a press instead of the welder because I also do blacksmithing ,and want to forge the race into something.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BIGGUNDOCTOR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BIGGUNDOCTOR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BIGGUNDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote