SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
turbobuick33
Advanced Member
turbobuick33 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
Default Does anyone use Super Tech oil from Wal-Mart?

Does anyone here use Super Tech oil from Wal-Mart? Who makes the Super Tech oil?

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to turbobuick33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help turbobuick33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
turbobuick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Does anyone use Super Tech oil from Wal-Mart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobuick33 View Post
Does anyone here use Super Tech oil from Wal-Mart? Who makes the Super Tech oil?
I used it for decades on my Toyota. 430,000 miles of it without any engine issues at all. Never burned any oil, good compression, etc. However, with our Saturn's and their piston oil control ring defect I now only run synthetic.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:34 AM   #3
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2

Yeah, I use it in my SC2. Mainly just because I figure if its gonna burn it, might as well put cheaper stuff in it. Never had any problems with Super Tech either.

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

1989 Mustang LX, Unknown mileage(JY engine in it when I got it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ninetynineSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ninetynineSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ninetynineSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:43 AM   #4
trouttrooper
trouttrooper has a spectacular aura abouttrouttrooper has a spectacular aura abouttrouttrooper has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

When I first got my Impala it had 60,000 miles on it. I used Super Tech oil and was burning 1 1/2 quarts every 3,000 miles. Just for the heck of it I switched to Quaker State High mileage oil (red jug) when the car was around 80,000 miles and almost immediately the oil consumption dropped to 1/2 quart every 5,000 miles. It stayed at that consumption rate until I sold the car with 240,000 miles.

I have no idea the who what where why's of it all. I'm no spokesman for Quaker State by any means. The only reason I picked QS is it was the cheapest "high mileage oil" I could find at the time. I did all my own oil changes at 5,000 mile intervals and always used AC Delco oil filters so the only change was the oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trouttrooper's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trouttrooper reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trouttrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

I use it, but only for topping off. No complaints.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 07/25/18: 229,023 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
10Miler
Advanced Member
10Miler is on a distinguished road

I used to use it with no problems, but have been using the high mileage Castrol as I feel it has better detergent qualities.

I believe it is made by different companies depending on where in the country you buy it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 10Miler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 10Miler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
10Miler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
fritcr
fritcr is on a distinguished road

I have had the same thing happen to me as trouttrouper. It was my mom's Montana minivan. It never used any oil to speak of and one day she said the oil light was on. I was like WHAT!!! Don't drive it.
I went over and checked it and it was not touching on the stick. Put some oil in and a week later it was a quart low again. I got to talking to her and someone had changed the oil for her..found out he used Tech from walmart. I didn't think much of it until it used another quart. I changed the oil myself back to valvoline and a wix filter. That was over 100 k ago and it has not used over 1/2 quart between changes since.
I'm the same as Trout...no affications with anyone (i'm a computer tech actually) Just what happened to me. So take it as you will. I only use Valveoline.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fritcr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fritcr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fritcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritcr View Post
I have had the same thing happen to me as trouttrouper. It was my mom's Montana minivan. It never used any oil to speak of and one day she said the oil light was on. I was like WHAT!!! Don't drive it.
I went over and checked it and it was not touching on the stick. Put some oil in and a week later it was a quart low again. I got to talking to her and someone had changed the oil for her..found out he used Tech from walmart. I didn't think much of it until it used another quart. I changed the oil myself back to valvoline and a wix filter. That was over 100 k ago and it has not used over 1/2 quart between changes since.
I'm the same as Trout...no affications with anyone (i'm a computer tech actually) Just what happened to me. So take it as you will. I only use Valveoline.
If someone had put Kendall in your car would you argue? If not I have news for you. Same stuff. It's no better/worse than any other non-high end (PAO) synthetic lube. It's been discussed widely on BITOG. It just costs less due to the marketing power of Wally World. Just price out any oil there compared to any other outlet. They can't touch them on price. i.e. Mobil 1 0-40 Euro for $6.47 qt. Just try to buy it anywhere else close to that. You can't. I even had the guys at Advance try to BS me and tell me the M1 0-40 at Wally is not the same as theirs. Theirs was a premium version and wally's was "recycled". Something I confirmed through direct contact with Exxon/Mobil to not be true.
Sometimes due to a change in additive packages an engine will use more oil right after a brand change and than settle down after one or two changes.
But the Wally s^&t is no worse or better than the QS you put in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
fritcr
fritcr is on a distinguished road

Could be for sure...It would have to be close because of standards. I'm just stating what happened to me or should I say my mom. Maybe it was more of just changing to another brand than anything I don't know. It's valveoline for me....except the BMW and that gets castrol synth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fritcr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fritcr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fritcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
FredM
FredM is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Switched to super tech last year for both cars.

Consumption went up, but from what I've read that's to be expected initially. For the '02, which was only using 1qt+ every 3k miles, I was a little surprised at how much more it started to use.

The '00 is on it's second round with super tech, consumption was high before and seams to be the same for now. I will give it a few more tries and see how it goes.

For the '02, it's due for a change now. Hopefully will get to it this weekend (but the '00 needs brakes). Anyway, my hope is to see the consumption return to normal or maybe even improve a bit on the '02 with the next few changes. Not sure what to expect with the '00. It used close to 3qts every 3k miles -- I would like to see that drop a little.

Neither a borrower nor a lender be... -- William Shakespeare

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FredM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FredM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #11
bobyjones
Advanced Member
bobyjones is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouttrooper View Post
When I first got my Impala it had 60,000 miles on it. I used Super Tech oil and was burning 1 1/2 quarts every 3,000 miles. Just for the heck of it I switched to Quaker State High mileage oil (red jug) when the car was around 80,000 miles and almost immediately the oil consumption dropped to 1/2 quart every 5,000 miles. It stayed at that consumption rate until I sold the car with 240,000 miles.

I have no idea the who what where why's of it all. I'm no spokesman for Quaker State by any means. The only reason I picked QS is it was the cheapest "high mileage oil" I could find at the time. I did all my own oil changes at 5,000 mile intervals and always used AC Delco oil filters so the only change was the oil.
Ive had the same experience with pennzoil high mileage oil i think its the same manufacturer

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobyjones's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobyjones reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #12
bobyjones
Advanced Member

1999 SL2

has anyone seen the youtube video of why to not use walmart lube centers to change your oil...? cause they use supercrap and destroy engines

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bobyjones reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #13
bobyjones
Advanced Member

1999 SL2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjHwfv0NKKk

then this one: after 2 years of getting oil changed at walmart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7tiVhliIDA

supertech turned to jello

never ever using this crap in my car you people r crazy if u still do after u watch this

Last edited by bobyjones; 02-05-2013 at 03:13 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #14
bobyjones
Advanced Member

1999 SL2

whhoooo wee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqXvL1NYIKE

this guys knows nothing

wrenchbender320 7 months ago

Supertech oil gave my car lifter noise bad, changed oils and it went away,but if you drive a ****box on its last leg use supertech

W806D 1 week ago

Who ever told you ST oil is no good, is a total piece of ****ing ****.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #15
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by underthehood View Post
It just costs less due to the marketing power of Wally World. Just price out any oil there compared to any other outlet. They can't touch them on price. i.e. Mobil 1 0-40 Euro for $6.47 qt. Just try to buy it anywhere else close to that. You can't.
Dirty little thing most people don't know or understand. But you are correct. Having once worked for a manufacturer that sold over 50% of its product to Wal-Mart/Sam's, I know, first hand this, to be true. Not just marketing involved.

Manufacturers will bend over backwards to give Wal-Mart a DIFFERENT price for products because they WANT their business BADLY. They can't afford to lose Wal-Mart's business. So, they bend over and take it from Wal-Mart and sell them product for less than they would other retail outlets. This is bad for competition (the smaller retailers or mom and pop shops). Wal-Mart (and Target) have gotten around this to some extent by having products made that can only be found at Wal-Mart. Same product, just slightly different look. This is WHY (if you care about fair competition) you shouldn't buy at Wal-Mart/Target/K-Mart, etc...

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 07/25/18: 229,023 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #16
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSaturn02 View Post
Dirty little thing most people don't know or understand. But you are correct. Having once worked for a manufacturer that sold over 50% of its product to Wal-Mart/Sam's, I know, first hand this, to be true. Not just marketing involved.

Manufacturers will bend over backwards to give Wal-Mart a DIFFERENT price for products because they WANT their business BADLY. They can't afford to lose Wal-Mart's business. So, they bend over and take it from Wal-Mart and sell them product for less than they would other retail outlets. This is bad for competition (the smaller retailers or mom and pop shops). Wal-Mart (and Target) have gotten around this to some extent by having products made that can only be found at Wal-Mart. Same product, just slightly different look. This is WHY (if you care about fair competition) you shouldn't buy at Wal-Mart/Target/K-Mart, etc...
May be true but when you make as little as I do, and struggle for every cent of that pittance you do make than every cent of that pittance has to buy as much as it can. Sadly it's the world we live in. But almost every large retailer does some of this. Craftsmen Tools, Die Hard, Kenmore, Up & Up,................get the picture? The other companies shouldn't be throwing stones either

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #17
KingRex
Advanced Member
KingRex will become famous soon enoughKingRex will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2

I read somewhere it's just Penzoil in a different bottle.

I use it top off only. Otherwise I run Valvoline Synthetic Blend, the stuff in the red bottle. Every Saturn engine I put that in loves it.

"The Homecoming King"

Saturns Saved: 18

Saturns Owned: 2

1999 SL2 HCE 175K
1994 SL2 HCE 135K
1999 SL2 Silver 125K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KingRex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KingRex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KingRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #18
underthehood
Master Member

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRex View Post
I read somewhere it's just Penzoil in a different bottle.

I use it top off only. Otherwise I run Valvoline Synthetic Blend, the stuff in the red bottle. Every Saturn engine I put that in loves it.
I have done much research on it. It is Kendall in a Wally bottle. Comes from the same tanks and distributor. Which BTW also markets MAG and ACCEL oils. And IIRC Wolfshead too

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #19
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

When you buy bulk oil from any distributor you can order up any blend you want. Small refineries will also custom blend. It makes no difference which refiner is selling the stuff but what does make a difference is which base stock and what additive package. The fact it comes from a tank at the Texaco refinery or bulk terminal means absolutely nothing at all. Until you know the base stock grade and additive package you know nothing. You can guess the additive package and base stock from oil samples if you ask for a complete analysis.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #20
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

Just my 2 cents. I have used super tech (Synthetic) oil for 9 years now with no problems. I do my own oil changes BTW. I did put it in my daughter's 2000 Mitzu when I saw the engine was way down (like 2 quarts) and noticed it did not go down that way since. Synthetic oil is such a big step up from ordinary oil anyway.

God knows what you get when you depend on the integrity of someone else who's working on your car. Even with something as simple as an oil change - if they accidentally put the cheap oil in your car do you think they would drain it out if and when they discovered it? Would they put ordinary oil in knowing you paid for synthetic just to make a bigger profit? Look at the guys on youtube doing phony coolant changes, acting as if they are doing it with the machine but really doing nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ...ture=endscreen

Its a sad fact.

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote