SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
dustinv123
dustinv123 is on a distinguished road

Default 2000 Ls2 was running fine... now wont start!! Will crank, not turn over...

I have a 2000 ls2 in good condition... I drove to work the other night and it started fine, now it wont turn over. It cranks well but doesnt seem to be getting either spark or gas. The fuel pump is only 2 years old, all the fuses seem to be in order, I think its a plug issue but I cant find the darn things. help!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dustinv123's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dustinv123 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dustinv123 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2009, 04:05 PM   #2
KLS1P
KLS1P is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2004 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2000 Ls2 was running fine... now wont start!! Will crank, not turn over...

Which engine?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KLS1P's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KLS1P reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KLS1P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
dustinv123
dustinv123 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2000 Ls2 was running fine... now wont start!! Will crank, not turn over...

24 valve v6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dustinv123's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dustinv123 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dustinv123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
KLS1P
KLS1P is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2004 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Might be the CPS. fdryer will be along soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KLS1P's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KLS1P reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KLS1P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:22 AM   #5
V8GoneDOHC
V8GoneDOHC is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
1993 SL2

Agreed, fdryer will be along for the answer but as far as finding the plugs, there are no wires on these wonderful Saturn's of ours they are hiding under a coil boot, on the four-cylinders there are six small bolts to remove (any hand tool will do to remove them) and then it simply lifts straight up with a pop revealing the plugs underneath, you can then pull the plugs and check for spark. The 6 cylinder is the same except I don't know exactly how many bolts there are but I would assume it's the same idea, a handful of machine thread bolts running up each side of these coil packs. From my understanding, the one's on the firewall side of the engine take a lot of work to get to but the ones on the front are easier.

Please note I'm not near the level of diagnostic beastliness of the guys on this forum, just trying to answer your question about where to find the plugs :P Sounds like spark or fuel to me as well, how's the fuel filter? Any codes/lights?

Formerly;
1993 Saturn SL2
2000 Saturn LS1
1989 Mercury Cougar XR-7 Supercharged
1985 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0L V8

Currently;
2014 Ford Focus SE Sport
2002 Ford Taurus SEL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to V8GoneDOHC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help V8GoneDOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
V8GoneDOHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:28 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ok, where was I?

There doesn't seem to be any need for my input as the consesus seems to be pointing to the crank position sensor (CPS).

Just to be sure its the right call, find the fuel test valve (on the fuel rail) that's covered by a black plastic cap, leave the ignition key in the ON/RUN position, remove the cap covering the schrader valve, cover the valve loosely with a rag while depressing the valve stem expecting a healthy spray of fuel. Fuel spray means the fuel pump and pressure are available to the injectors. A dribble or no fuel out the valve means a fuel issue; fuel pump fuse, pump relay, wiring, pump, and/or ground.

The cps is located next to the oil filter and can be measured for resistance with a multimeter. Resistance is approximately 700-1200 ohms, an open or no reading of resistance means a DEAD cps. Replace it from any auto store.

If you're anywhere near 100k miles, the car's due for plugs, water pump, and timing belt replacement. Expensive if done by Saturn, less so by a shop and cheaper if doing it yourself with lots of time, tools and instructions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote