SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2007, 10:56 PM   #1
farmasis
farmasis is on a distinguished road

Default Ok, we are getting close

to having to think about an oil change. (~2500 miles)

Is everyone gonna trust the oil life monitor, or change on a regular basis?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to farmasis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help farmasis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
farmasis is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2007, 12:03 AM   #2
Gwenzilla
Gwenzilla is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Ok, we are getting close

I think my service contract says I have to.

Saturn family stable:
- 2007 Outlook - AKA "Lambchop"
- 2003 Vue
- 2006 Ion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gwenzilla's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gwenzilla reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gwenzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:53 PM   #3
ThePlainsman
Advanced Member
ThePlainsman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwenzilla View Post
I think my service contract says I have to.
Yup, I'll go in at 3,000.

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2008 Acura RDX-Tech, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather
2002 Nissan Altiima V6, loaded, including HIDs and heated leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ThePlainsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ThePlainsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ThePlainsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:57 AM   #4
grambo
grambo is on a distinguished road

I've always planned on going in at 3K - but I really want to try Gwen's dealership. She seems so pleased with them. By the time I drive cross-country, I'll be way over 3K.

What to do, what to do?

Seriously, the local dealership offers a great program. If you have all of your routine service work (as prescribed in the owner's manual) at the dealership, they extend the powertrain warranty for life. Kinda hard to pass up that action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to grambo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help grambo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
grambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:25 AM   #5
MatthewD102
MatthewD102 is on a distinguished road

GM has spent a lot of money developing the oil life monitoring system. There are several monitors on the vehicle just for oil life including monitors that watch, mileage, age, spark plug fires, engine starts and stops, running temperatures, idle temperatures, etc. In fact most of my customers are ranging from 4,000 - 8,000 miles between oil changes. The system was developed to lower the cost of ownership. Beleave in the system, it's there to benefit you, not the dealership. Just to give your a short story of proof, I had a customer who's son would come home from school and move his car out of the driveway everyday to play basketball at home. He only got 2,500 miles till his first oil change, and then 2,800 miles on his next, however, when I explained how the oil life monitor works, and told him to park his car on the street to cut down on the start and stops, he's now getting close to 5,000 miles between oil changes. Your oil life is not just depended on mileage. It's completely based off of driving habbits. Trust in the system, it was designed to save our customers money, along with many other features on the vehicle that you will see in the future.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MatthewD102's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MatthewD102 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MatthewD102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:46 AM   #6
Outlook IL
Outlook IL is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XE

Going in Monday at 2800 miles, then I will trust the monitor!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Outlook IL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Outlook IL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Outlook IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:12 PM   #7
4time saturn fa
4time saturn fa is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.0L

well....i must say that i am in a similar perdiciment....2,800....my wife has a malibu with an oil life monitor....all i know is that the monitor goes more than 3k before you need to change

Andrew!

2007XR outlook--FULLY loaded
2003 vue 3.0L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 4time saturn fa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 4time saturn fa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
4time saturn fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:34 AM   #8
page2171
page2171 will become famous soon enough

I don't have an Outlook (yet?), but in my Malibu I kind of trust the oil life monitor...I change the oil when it gets down to about 25%.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to page2171's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help page2171 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
page2171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:42 AM   #9
MrBiz
MrBiz is on a distinguished road

I've always been a 3,000 mile change the oil type of guy. I went out of my way to ask the Service Manager at my dealership about when to change. I fully expected her to say to change it at 3,000 miles, but she said to change it whe the oil life moniter said to. I'll probably change it earlier anyway.

Biz

2007 Saturn Outlook XR AWD
2004 Saturn ION 2
1996 Saturn SL 2
1992 Saturn SL 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MrBiz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MrBiz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MrBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:36 AM   #10
Audialize
Audialize is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Aren't you guys also signed up with Onstar and get your monthly diagnostics? It gives you a percentage of where you are with your oil as well. You can request a diagnostics whenever you want. Not sure how expensive it is to change the oil on an Outlook, but I myself used to hate the costs of changing oil all the time.

2002 SC1 Black - 17'' Enkei Shoguns Customized Black - Traded /cry

2007 Ion 2 QC Black - 6,207 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Audialize's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Audialize reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Audialize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:17 AM   #11
farmasis
farmasis is on a distinguished road

My oil life monitor from Onstar is 77% at almost 3,000 miles. At this pace, I will near 10K before needing a change.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to farmasis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help farmasis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
farmasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:24 PM   #12
WopOnTour
Advanced Member
WopOnTour will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmasis View Post
My oil life monitor from Onstar is 77% at almost 3,000 miles. At this pace, I will near 10K before needing a change.
That may be but the ability of an oil to do it's job really doesn't have a direct correlation to accumulated mileage. (e.g. if you car idled for long periods during the day, that would not be reflected on the odometer, but resulting ash deposits collecting in the oil WOULD BE altering the ability of the oil to do it's job properly)

There is absolutely no need to change your oil more frequently than the oil life index indicates. That's why it's there. Just make sure WHEN an oil change is completed that it gets updated back to 100%.
I would urge you to read the section entitled "Engine Oil Life System" in your owners manual
HTH
WopOnTour

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WopOnTour's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WopOnTour reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WopOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:59 AM   #13
Rock1219
Rock1219 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

Everyone in my service department said to trust the oil life meter. They said you won't void your warranty if you use the meter and bring it in when the meter gets to around 10% to 20%. I plan on changing the oil at 3000 miles and having the dealership put synthenic in but after that I will be trusting the meter. Espically since I use Royal Purple Synthetic Oil. It's a waste to through out good oil because your at 3000 miles.

Jon

Outlook XR AWD
Midnight Blue
Gray Leather w/ 2nd row Captain chairs

Aura XR
Black Onyx
Black Leather Seats

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rock1219's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rock1219 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rock1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:32 PM   #14
WopOnTour
Advanced Member

There's even no real reason to have it changed at 10% or 1% for that matter (unless it's convenient for some reason) When it hit's 0% you will get an indicator or message, and you should have the oil changed ASAP but within the next 600 miles (1000 km) This is as stated in your owners manual BTW.
HTH
WOT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help WopOnTour reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-23-2007, 02:05 PM   #15
Gwenzilla
Gwenzilla is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2003 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by WopOnTour View Post
.....This is as stated in your owners manual
....Oooohh great! are you inferring that I'm supposed to actually read the owners manual !
I guess there is a first time for everything

Saturn family stable:
- 2007 Outlook - AKA "Lambchop"
- 2003 Vue
- 2006 Ion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gwenzilla's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gwenzilla reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gwenzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:36 AM   #16
Ryster
Ryster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audialize View Post
Aren't you guys also signed up with Onstar and get your monthly diagnostics? It gives you a percentage of where you are with your oil as well. You can request a diagnostics whenever you want. Not sure how expensive it is to change the oil on an Outlook, but I myself used to hate the costs of changing oil all the time.
My '06 Chevy Impala has OnStar and I do receive the monthly diagnostic email. Not sure how trustworthy it is in terms of oil life. For example, my Impala's oil was last changed at 7,600 miles. I now have 9,600 miles. The oil life monitor currently says 65% (and it was reset at 7,600 miles...I checked before I left the dealer).

In any event, my March OnStar diagnostic report confirmed the oil life at 65%, and then estimated the next oil change will be needed at 19,200 miles. That would be a 12,000 mile oil change interval. There is no way I would let the car go 12,000 miles between oil changes, regardless of what the computer says. I will not go more than 5,000 miles between changes. If I have dropped 35% in 2,000 miles I would expect it to reach 15% or so by the time I hit 5,000 miles on this oil (which would be 12,600 miles on the odometer).

OnStar is way off this time around.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ryster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ryster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ryster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:15 PM   #17
WopOnTour
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
My '06 Chevy Impala has OnStar and I do receive the monthly diagnostic email. Not sure how trustworthy it is in terms of oil life. For example, my Impala's oil was last changed at 7,600 miles. I now have 9,600 miles. The oil life monitor currently says 65% (and it was reset at 7,600 miles...I checked before I left the dealer).

In any event, my March OnStar diagnostic report confirmed the oil life at 65%, and then estimated the next oil change will be needed at 19,200 miles. That would be a 12,000 mile oil change interval. There is no way I would let the car go 12,000 miles between oil changes, regardless of what the computer says. I will not go more than 5,000 miles between changes. If I have dropped 35% in 2,000 miles I would expect it to reach 15% or so by the time I hit 5,000 miles on this oil (which would be 12,600 miles on the odometer).

OnStar is way off this time around.
The Onstar report is just an "estimate" based on your trend of usage over the last 2000 miles.If the ambient conditions stayed the same, and you kept driving the way you have been- it will be pretty close.However, seasonal changes will affect things like peak engine temps and engine temperature cycling, and even one "trip cycle" that differs significantly from your most recent usage patterns (long trip, or more frequent short trips-depending on what you're doing) could see the % remaining drop more quickly than anticipated.

It's not really "the computer" telling you your remaining oil life, in a sense it's the engineers that designed your engine. (they should know a little something about it) It's based on a lot of sound scientific research, modern oils and oiling system technologies. The rest of your scheduled maintenance requirements are directly affected by this as well, so you car should be inspected as per the Maintenance I and II schedules at least every 10 months (dependant on the time intervals between your oil life index indicator) For more info look under the heading "Scheduled Maintenance" in your Owners Manual.

Feel free to change your oil more frequently than recommended but essentially it's unnecessary inconvenience and expense and maybe even considered wasteful to some people these days.

HTH
WopOnTour

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2007, 10:48 PM   #18
outlook7j100001
outlook7j100001 is on a distinguished road

TRUST THE OIL LIFE MONITOR!! A lot of time, money, testing and research was done to develop the monitor. One of the "greenest" things you can REALLY do is NOT WASTE oil!! Changing prior to the monitor wastes money and oil!! I do lot's of freeway driving and got over 10k miles before the light went on...AND dipstick still did not indicate low oil! The monitor is "smart" enough to know how you drive and makes the decision on when you need to change. The powertrain is fully covered if you follow the monitor!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to outlook7j100001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help outlook7j100001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
outlook7j100001 is offline   Reply With Quote