SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
Churchmore
Churchmore is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
Default LED's in the instrument panel

Hi, I can't seem to find one of the threads about replacing the incandescent dash bulbs with LED's, but I wanted to ask if the turn siginals in the dash were tinted green or if the bulb is green. Sorry if this has been asked already, I'm new to the forum. Oh, I have a 92 SL2. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Churchmore's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Churchmore reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Churchmore is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2007, 02:59 PM   #2
xupthree60
Master Member
xupthree60 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: LED's in the instrument panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchmore View Post
Hi, I can't seem to find one of the threads about replacing the incandescent dash bulbs with LED's, but I wanted to ask if the turn siginals in the dash were tinted green or if the bulb is green. Sorry if this has been asked already, I'm new to the forum. Oh, I have a 92 SL2. Thanks
the bulb is clear

3x CFR SCCA autocross champion with a 95 SL2 & 98 SC2

Currently own a 02 L200 with no plans to mod.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xupthree60's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xupthree60 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xupthree60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
Churchmore

1992 SL2

Oh, so getting a blue LED would be pretty pointless then I suppose...well thanks for the help anyways.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Churchmore reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-02-2007, 06:19 PM   #4
Exto
Exto is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1998 SL2

a blue LED would chage the color a little, just probably not as much as you're looking for. Btw, my avatar is of my dash after a blue LED conversion, if you want to know what it'd look like.

I agree with Henry Ford on automotive color options. I'll paint it any color you like, as long as it's black.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Exto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Exto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Exto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:49 AM   #5
Churchmore

1992 SL2

Wow that looks pretty cool....do you have a bigger picture...did you keep your indicators green?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-03-2007, 10:01 AM   #6
dragon370
dragon370 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

what bulbs do you guys who do that use? from where? are they availible in colors other then red? and how are they installed? i know this has come up before i couldnt think what was said before tho...

Brendan
1997 SC1- "Stacy" dk green, 5spd, Motegi, Kuhmo tires

Under the most rigorously controlled conditions, the Saturn will do as it damn well pleases.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dragon370's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dragon370 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dragon370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 03:44 PM   #7
Churchmore

1992 SL2

Hi, I'm gonna get my LEDs from http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm under miniature and wedge. Be sure to look up click on the identify the bulbs link and the cross reference link. (they should just be the WLEDs though). They are the same socket as the original bulbs, so they just plug right in. Thats how I'm gonna do it, some of these guys might have done it a different way and might think I'm an idiot for this hahaha...oh well

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-03-2007, 03:47 PM   #8
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Hi, I'm gonna get my LEDs from http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm under miniature and wedge. Be sure to look up click on the identify the bulbs link and the cross reference link. (they should just be the WLEDs though). They are the same socket as the original bulbs, so they just plug right in. Thats how I'm gonna do it, some of these guys might have done it a different way and might think I'm an idiot for this hahaha...oh well
A lot of people used that site. The bulb that shines down on the gauge face is 1.79 #74 w/base I think. That's what I have written down.

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:25 AM   #9
Churchmore

1992 SL2

What do you mean by "1.79 #74 w/base"?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-05-2007, 12:01 PM   #10
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
What do you mean by "1.79 #74 w/base"?
I don't remember what the 1.79 is for, #74 w/base is the bulb on superbrightleds

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-05-2007, 12:01 PM   #11
Moist
Moist is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Wrench Re: LED's in the instrument panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon370 View Post
what bulbs do you guys who do that use? from where? are they availible in colors other then red? and how are they installed? i know this has come up before i couldnt think what was said before tho...
I asked the same question. This is the link I was sent. I haven't done it yet but it doesn't look that hard to do. Hope it helps.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96399

Carpe Dium Baby!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Moist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Moist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Moist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:08 PM   #12
quiksc2
Master Member

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moist View Post
I asked the same question. This is the link I was sent. I haven't done it yet but it doesn't look that hard to do. Hope it helps.
Instead of soldering, when you take the old bulbs out, pull out the metal clips on each side with pliers and the old bulbs pop right out. Trim the plastic like in the directions, then slide the LED into the base, with the leads sticking up in the pathway like the bulbs did. Then shove the metal clips back in, making sure they contact the leads. I used blue tinted bulbs for mine, but this method should work for LEDs.

DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-05-2007, 01:44 PM   #13
Moist
Moist is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Wrench Re: LED's in the instrument panel

This might help...

Carpe Dium Baby!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Moist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Moist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Moist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:23 PM   #14
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

i used those LEDs from superbright. a couple of the white ones burned out in a few weeks and a couple more would just flicker randomly and eventually burn out.

1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geartooth94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geartooth94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
geartooth94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:51 AM   #15
Churchmore

1992 SL2

Has anybody changed the color of the indicators from green?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-10-2007, 08:05 PM   #16
Wingmn
Wingmn is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
2009 Outlook XR

I left the "opera" lights, turn signals, high beams, any indicator, left them all normal white incand. Just changed out the backlit guages to Blue. Pictures are on my photos.

93 SL2a (My work shuttle) 225k
09 FWD Outlook (Wife's vehicle) 82k
13 Ford Fusion Hybrid (New family shuttle) 31k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Wingmn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Wingmn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Wingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:49 PM   #17
Churchmore

1992 SL2

Well I got my blue LEDs in, so I'm gonna test em out for a while to see if I like em...I had another question, for the center console (A/C and heat) some of the lights went out, and I was wondering if there was a thread about how to replace those lights. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-17-2007, 08:54 AM   #18
ajs_saturn
Advanced Member
ajs_saturn will become famous soon enoughajs_saturn will become famous soon enough

2001 SL1
2001 SC1

i bought the white gauge faces and they didn't tint the turn signal lights or high-beam lights so i get a bright incandescent beam shining in my eyes. so i was thinking about getting a couple greens and a blue from superbrightsleds.com. i saw some twist socket leds on there. one question... the incandescent lights behind the A/C controls are also twist sockets right? how many are there, cuz i wanna make those blue or white

2001 SL1 5spd - DOHC swap and MS in the works
Bought 02/27/14

2000 SL 5spd
Bought 04/05/05
Sold 06/14/10

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ajs_saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ajs_saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ajs_saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:56 AM   #19
quiksc2
Master Member

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Colored Sharpie...

DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2007, 07:18 AM   #20
Churchmore

1992 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_saturn View Post
i bought the white gauge faces and they didn't tint the turn signal lights or high-beam lights so i get a bright incandescent beam shining in my eyes. so i was thinking about getting a couple greens and a blue from superbrightsleds.com. i saw some twist socket leds on there. one question... the incandescent lights behind the A/C controls are also twist sockets right? how many are there, cuz i wanna make those blue or white
Hi, When I installed the twist in LEDs from superbrights, it turned the turn signals and hight-beam light blue as well (I'm just waiting to someone to tell me what type of lights are behind the A/C contols as well so I can get those and one more blue LED for the gas gauge). If you would like I could post a picture of my dash...I have another question, I took out the opera lights, and I was wondering if it was possible to paint the needles with UV reactive paint so the light up as well with out the use of the opera lights. Or would it just make more sense to put them back in?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!