SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2007, 09:44 PM   #1
YooperSky
YooperSky is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Squeaking Instrument Panel

The instrument panel in my Redline has developed squeaks. Too bad the entire thing is made of plastic. The noise is coming from the area around the gauges rubbing the rest of the unit. After only 2000 miles it's almost constant and obviously more bothersome with the top up. My dealer has checked with Saturn and they have no service bulletins on this. Before I take it in and end up having the dash removed or whatever, has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you solve it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to YooperSky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help YooperSky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
YooperSky is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2007, 11:31 PM   #2
skydrive
skydrive is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY
Default Re: Squeaking Instrument Panel

My SKY has about 1200 miles on it with nary a squeak to be heard from anywhere. However, I've had dashboard squeaks on other vehicles and it's usually something simple and obvious like something rubbing against something else (such as a wiring harness that is out of place). If it's a constant problem and easily detected by the technician, I'd say they will be able to locate and correct it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to skydrive's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help skydrive reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
skydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:57 PM   #3
pdough
Advanced Member
pdough will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

If you can narrow it down to what part is squeaking, try some felt tape between the two parts that are rubbing. I know its not what you want to hear but it is better than having someone rip the dash apart... Its probably all the dealer will do anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pdough's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pdough reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
coolvue
coolvue is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperSky View Post
The instrument panel in my Redline has developed squeaks. Too bad the entire thing is made of plastic. The noise is coming from the area around the gauges rubbing the rest of the unit. After only 2000 miles it's almost constant and obviously more bothersome with the top up. My dealer has checked with Saturn and they have no service bulletins on this. Before I take it in and end up having the dash removed or whatever, has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you solve it?
I had the same problem. It's the "chrome" ring around the gauges. I popped off all parts (as I recall) and glued the ring to the other plastic it meets. No more squeak!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to coolvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help coolvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
coolvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:49 AM   #5
WE0H
WE0H is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line
2004 VUE 3.5L
Thumbs Up Re: Squeaking Instrument Panel

Good to read this. The GF's '08 RL has a rattly cluster. She will be happy to hear the solution. The Satty dealer (Brooklyn Park Saturn in Minnesota) said they wouldn't take it apart to fix the rattle even though the car only has 1k miles on it...

Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WE0H's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WE0H reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WE0H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
ToledoEngineer
ToledoEngineer is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY Red Line
1992 SL1

I've got the automatic and it's that chrome plating around the shifter that squeaks, after 15,500 miles on an '08 RL. I think the squeak started around 10-12k but it's always sporadic and never consistant. must just be certain roads i have to go down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ToledoEngineer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ToledoEngineer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ToledoEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:29 PM   #7
WE0H
WE0H is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line
2004 VUE 3.5L
Thumbs Down Re: Squeaking Instrument Panel

We found out Saturn Of Brooklyn Park Minnesota said they will not attempt to repair the cluster rattle. I gave them a print with info from this thread about gluing it, but they said no, they will not do that.

So much for a warranty on a car with only 1000 miles on the ODO...I'll have to fix it myself.

Does anyone know of any good Saturn dealers somewhat close to Minneapolis Minnesota?

Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WE0H's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WE0H reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WE0H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:28 PM   #8
SC2Sick
Advanced Member
SC2Sick will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WE0H View Post
Does anyone know of any good Saturn dealers somewhat close to Minneapolis Minnesota?
Inver Grove Heights. Only place I've ever let touch my car, well the DD at least.

sixthsphere.com owner
1997 Saturn SC2 Turbo
sixthsphere.com/showthread.php/89737

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2Sick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2Sick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2Sick is offline   Reply With Quote