SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 12:34 PM   #1
spork
spork is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Dizzy L Power Steering Pump

I was having a problem with the car making a groaning noise when making a left turn. I took it in for that, and for the center kick panels coming loose. They tried some sort of adjustment to the power steering pump based on a TSB.. it didn't fix the problem, so they have ordered a new pump. As I was talking to another guy waiting on his car, a 2001 L, he said he had the power steering pump replaced on his earlier. Sounds like there might be a problem with the pumps.

In addition to that, they re-attached the kick panels, but have new ones on order due to defective velcro attachments.

I'll follow up when they have installed the new pieces.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spork's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2002, 12:45 PM   #2
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

I had a low squeal when I turn to the left. More like a whistle. They changed the hoses (Larger diameter) and the pump did not fix the problem. The field engineer stated that the pump has been known to have problems or just the hoses but it did no good in my case. They finally (After SKYJAY posted with the same problem) changed the power steering rack and the noise went away. PS That is an ordered part would take about a week. So if the new pump dosen't fix you may want to see if they will replace the power steering rack. Also could be the air bag coil winding. They changed mine before the rack didn't make a difference. Good Luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-04-2002, 03:29 PM   #3
NEWLW300OWNR
NEWLW300OWNR is on a distinguished road

Default steering whistle..

I have the whistle as well on my 2001; dealer said it's normal, but we all know it's a bad rack. If I owned the car, rather than leased it, I'd insist on getting it replaced...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NEWLW300OWNR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NEWLW300OWNR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2002, 09:15 PM   #4
skijay
skijay is on a distinguished road

I am getting the groaning sound AGAIN from the left turns!!!! It was fixed once but now is back. I have to make an appointment again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to skijay's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help skijay reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2002, 09:51 PM   #5
MightyJoe
MightyJoe is on a distinguished road

You sure the moaning isn't the sound of the tires slipping on the ground in a low speed turn? Like turning the wheel when stopped will make a noise as the tire is resisting movement. Just an idea.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MightyJoe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MightyJoe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2002, 08:31 AM   #6
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Have seen a thread on this relating to the steering rack as the cause.

Mine works fine (so far).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2002, 01:00 PM   #7
spork

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I made sure my tires were fully inflated to 32 lbs b4 I went to Saturn with the problem. They had around 26lbs in them since they had not been filled since summer when it was hot. Still made the sounds with 32lbs of pressure. The car doesn't make noise any more after their procedure, even though they are going to replace the pump anyway. I noticed drips on the driveway after the car was parked over night. I popped the hood, and saw where there was a mess where they had bled the power steering line at the rack. There was also some slop where they got spastic at the power steering resevoir. It doesn't appear to be leaking, just that they were a bit sloppy when they bled the lines.

Also having a periodic problem with the check engine light coming on if I take a hard turn at high speed.. like on a cloverleaf. Light goes away once car is stopped and restarted. I don't know what could be causing it, so I'll have them look at that when the pump is replaced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help spork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2002, 03:07 PM   #8
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Dizzy

The light came on when you take hard turn? Sounds weird, but I heard about the L's current engine oil pan design is insufficient to hold the oil in proper level in hard cornering during OLOA event....don't know if they're related.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2002, 03:17 PM   #9
L300Boy
Master Member
L300Boy is on a distinguished road

I havent been able to set off my check engine light, but my "washer fluid low" light flickers sometimes during hard turns and over sudden bumps. I thought this was the check engine light for a while, but they are right next to each other almost.

Are you sure it wasnt this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L300Boy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L300Boy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2002, 03:24 PM   #10
Harry
Advanced Member
Harry is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Arrow

Lights flickering under cornering or bumpy road driving usually means a fluid level is almost low enough for the sensor to go off on a flat road, or perhaps a bad contact or a fuse about ready to blow. Something isn't full or isn't fully connected, etc.

My wiper fluid started flickering and that told me it was low, so I topped it up.

Brake light flickering usually means thin pads, not time to top up the fluid.

If the check engine light is flickering on cornering it could of course be a gazillion things. If loose gas caps can cause it to go off then what couldn't it be?

I will always remember the oil pressure light coming on when watching local, low tech racing events. As they braked hard into every corner, the oil light would come on and you could see it from the grandstand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2002, 03:46 PM   #11
spork

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

No, it's the check engine light with a wrench on it. It's a one shot that stays lit until the car is shut off. No flickering at all. All fluid levels are where they should be. Only thing I noticed was that the first time it happened, I pulled into my driveway and the car was stumbling a bit, like a misfire or something. It only did that one time. I am running a couple of tanks of gasohol through it to remove any moisture that might be in the fuel system due to cold weather condensation. I'll go back to regular and see if it persists.

Also, this is a 4cyl, not the V6.

Regardless of that, I will have them check it when the install the power steering pump.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2002, 03:53 PM   #12
L300Boy
Master Member
L300Boy is on a distinguished road

Speaking of steering pumps, my car has a slight high-pitched squeek. It pulses and sounds like the belt. From further inpection, it seems to be coming from the streering pump on the belt -- not 100% sure. I dont get any weird noises when i turn though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L300Boy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L300Boy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2002, 04:02 PM   #13
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Dizzy

Spork: It's the I4 which turns on the wrench?! That's really interesting.......but it's not un-traceable if it's the SES light since it should set a flap in the PCM.

I really wonder what sensors have been tripped in your cornering effort. Maybe the Fuel tank pressure switch or your fuel cap is not locking tight?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread