SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2008, 06:40 PM   #1
KawaiiBoricua
KawaiiBoricua is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2
Default i know theres the engine swap guide, but...

Im having a hard time understanding which engine from what year would be best to do a turbo set-up on. IM getting ready to get a new engine, but i want to know what year engine is the best overall. im planning on rebuilding the engine anyway and install aftermarket low-compression pistons, cams and everything. So its gunna be rebuilt anyway, but from all u great people i would prefer your input. Im installing this engine in a 93 SC2 and what i was gunna go for was the 2002 engine, and i have a 97 tranny, (first will that work?) if i have to change the tranny, i will, but im wondering if that one will fit. im also going to get the wire harness and ECU from the 2002, any other ideas from you guys? i really appriciate any help ^_^

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KawaiiBoricua's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KawaiiBoricua reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KawaiiBoricua is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2008, 07:06 PM   #2
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1
Default Re: i know theres the engine swap guide, but...

the best engine to use is the one you get for cheap. There's not really a significant enough difference in blocks to worry about it, though the '00-'02 has a reinforcement that makes it slightly stronger. This won't be an issue unless you're pushing BIG hp numbers.

Cranks are a trade-off - '91-'98 is lighter, so the engine can rev slightly faster, but the '99-'02 crank has seperate counterweights that help smooth the engine slightly. The difference isn't really enough to worry about one over the other.

There are more aftermarket options for the '91-'98 heads (5-bolt exhaust, wider head), and they have wider passages that likely flow better. '96-'98 won't have the hole for the 1st gen gauge cluster temp gauge.

Frankly, I wouldn't do wiring harness & computers from a '00-'02 - they have the PCM and BCM.

A '97 manual transmission will work fine.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:37 PM   #3
KawaiiBoricua

1993 SC2

okay thanks for the info, i think i will go for the 00-02 block, but will the wireing harness and ECU for my 93 will work for the 00-02 block? im planning on rebuilding the tranny as well, as i will have them both out and i wanna take the time to rebuild everything clean. I do want the engine to run smoother so i think i will go with the newer block.

Any other thoughts from anyone else? All the ideas are very idea into helping me decide what is best for my car maybe ill post a pic soon...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help KawaiiBoricua reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2008, 05:55 AM   #4
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

The PCM won't care about the block but, you'll probably be better with a second gen block because accessories are easier to find. You also won't have to deal with the possible presence of the hole for am AIR system. The reinforcement that PurdueGuy mentioned can be added to an older block. I've seen instructions for doing it...somewhere.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
KawaiiBoricua

1993 SC2

thanks, but on my 93 saturn, there is no cable to connect to the vacume solinoid, i looked everywhere for the connecter and i cannot find it, so my egr valve is not fuctional. I think im going to get another wire harness, but i have no idea were that cord is. it all started when that Vaccume solinoid broke, but it wasent even fuctional in the first place, any other ideas as to why that would be? Any other ideas? Ill post pics when i can

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-18-2008, 07:32 PM   #6
Drdla99SL2
Drdla99SL2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaiiBoricua View Post
Im having a hard time understanding which engine from what year would be best to do a turbo set-up on. IM getting ready to get a new engine, but i want to know what year engine is the best overall. im planning on rebuilding the engine anyway and install aftermarket low-compression pistons, cams and everything. So its gunna be rebuilt anyway, but from all u great people i would prefer your input. Im installing this engine in a 93 SC2 and what i was gunna go for was the 2002 engine, and i have a 97 tranny, (first will that work?) if i have to change the tranny, i will, but im wondering if that one will fit. im also going to get the wire harness and ECU from the 2002, any other ideas from you guys? i really appriciate any help ^_^
ummmmmmm low compression pistons?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Drdla99SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Drdla99SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Drdla99SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
KawaiiBoricua

1993 SC2

already thought of it...too slow

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-18-2008, 08:00 PM   #8
KawaiiBoricua

1993 SC2

this is the car in question, and how do i get a gallery to upload all of my pics on here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1399.JPG (79.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1400.JPG (73.2 KB, 10 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!