SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Support Forum for Canadian Saturn Owners
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
patchouly
patchouly will become famous soon enoughpatchouly will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default L200 Parking Brake Issues

I have a 2001, L200. It's a great little car! However, when I bought it, I was unable to engage the parking brake. I would pull up on it but it wouldn't be far enough for it to ratchet. Well, I continued to procrastinate with this issue until yesterday.

So, yesterday, I decided to find out one way or the other what was going on. I pulled on the parking brake as hard as I could and actually got it to click three times. When I released the brake, the car rolled. The "parking brake warning light" was on, but the brakes weren't engaged. So, I released the parking brake and tried again. After several attempts, the brakes seemed to "partially" engage. Problem was, when I released them, the warning light went off, but the brakes were still engaged.

I got down under the car (or as much of me that would fit LOL), and sure enough, the cable to the rear driver's side brakes, was rusted. I wiggled and pulled on it and heard a tension/squeak noise. After checking the car, it seemed to have released "most" of the way ( it still seems to squeak, very quietly, a little bit).

Looking at how the cables hang down on each side and knowing that I live in Canada with it's cold winters, the rusting issue is not a big surprise.

My question (you knew there had to be one eventually, right?) is, has anyone else had this issue? Did you have the cables replaced and, if so, how much did it cost?

Thanks in advance guys! This looks like a great forum and a fantastic resource for we Saturn owners!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to patchouly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help patchouly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
patchouly is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: L200 Parking Brake Issues

If no one offers their personal suggestions to fix this, pm me an e-mail address so I can send you all the FSM pdf's needed and you can choose which way to address this. Saturnfans e-mail address doesn't allow large files.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
bobbyrae
bobbyrae has a spectacular aura aboutbobbyrae has a spectacular aura about

1993 SL2

Does that car have rear drum or disk brakes? If drum, you will want to make sure the shoes are adjusted correctly, then you will want to check the adjustment on the parking brake cables.

Without seeing the cables, I can't comment on how bad the rust is, but I would take the car to an indepedent brake mechanic and ask for an inspection.

Bobby Rae
Alameda, CA
1993 SL2 A/T, 80k miles, 22/33/43 mpg
1982 Accord 5-speed, 303k miles, 23/32/40 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobbyrae's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobbyrae reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobbyrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
patchouly
patchouly will become famous soon enoughpatchouly will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

fdryer, you have a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyrae View Post
Does that car have rear drum or disk brakes? If drum, you will want to make sure the shoes are adjusted correctly, then you will want to check the adjustment on the parking brake cables.

Without seeing the cables, I can't comment on how bad the rust is, but I would take the car to an indepedent brake mechanic and ask for an inspection.
I don't think it's the brakes, themselves, that are the issue. The guy told me they were brand new when I bought the car. He claims they had a brake job done on it, before they put it on the lot.

What I think happened is, there is an opening in the cable's sheath, due to rust. The cable had completely seized up. When I tried to pull up on the parking brake lever, I was unable to move the sized cable so, consequently, I couldn't engage the parking brake.

After pulling it on several times, the cable must have slipped along enough to partially engage the brakes. However, when the parking brake lever was lowered, the cable didn't slide back to it's "relaxed" position. Instead, it remained partially engaged.

Then, after I wiggled the cable, it was able to release and slide back.

Of course that's all hypothesis, as I am in no way a mechanic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help patchouly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-06-2010, 09:42 PM   #5
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Although I have never had a problem with the parking brake on my car (2000 LS1), I have had with some previous cars. Rust of the cable inside a sheath is a fairly common problem. My solution for this is the same as for many conditions. Rust-Check spray lubricant/rust preventative is available at Canadian Tire. It is similar to WD-40 but is a much better lubricant and lasts much longer. It creeps and penetrates and dissolves the rust, then continues to lubricate for months.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #6
patchouly

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by born again View Post
Although I have never had a problem with the parking brake on my car (2000 LS1), I have had with some previous cars. Rust of the cable inside a sheath is a fairly common problem. My solution for this is the same as for many conditions. Rust-Check spray lubricant/rust preventative is available at Canadian Tire. It is similar to WD-40 but is a much better lubricant and lasts much longer. It creeps and penetrates and dissolves the rust, then continues to lubricate for months.
Thanks "born again"! I'll check that out!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-07-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
AJR
Advanced Member
AJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I have the exact problem with my 2002 L200 (4 wheel discs). Interestingly enough, it's also on the driver's side housing. The passenger side is still good.

I discovered this in the winter. I could not get it unstuck for the longest time on a really cold night. Water got in and froze. Luckily, I was in Cabel's parking lot. With all the camping gear, food, hunting equipment, etc., I could have camped out in that parking lot indefinitely...or at least until the credit card was maxed out.

I've not solved the issue yet. I keep it well packed with lube and the housing wrapped tightly with aluminum foil and tape to keep the lube in and at least some water out, but I know this isn't the ultimate solution.

I wonder if cable and housings can get replaced in sections. It would be nice, rather than having to replace the entire thing. I think the part alone is about 400 bucks at Saturn.

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AJR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #8
patchouly

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJR View Post
I have the exact problem with my 2002 L200 (4 wheel discs). Interestingly enough, it's also on the driver's side housing. The passenger side is still good.

I discovered this in the winter. I could not get it unstuck for the longest time on a really cold night. Water got in and froze. Luckily, I was in Cabel's parking lot. With all the camping gear, food, hunting equipment, etc., I could have camped out in that parking lot indefinitely...or at least until the credit card was maxed out.

I've not solved the issue yet. I keep it well packed with lube and the housing wrapped tightly with aluminum foil and tape to keep the lube in and at least some water out, but I know this isn't the ultimate solution.

I wonder if cable and housings can get replaced in sections. It would be nice, rather than having to replace the entire thing. I think the part alone is about 400 bucks at Saturn.

Andy
I called a Mechanic today and was told that he could replace, just the length of cable between the main cable and the brake (The "Intermediate" cable). That single cable will cost between $79 and $120 (labour included) depending on the type of brakes I have.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2010, 08:05 AM   #9
AJR
Advanced Member
AJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouly View Post
I called a Mechanic today and was told that he could replace, just the length of cable between the main cable and the brake (The "Intermediate" cable). That single cable will cost between $79 and $120 (labour included) depending on the type of brakes I have.
Interesting...please let me know how the repair goes. I now have an independent that I might take it to for this. Saturn assured me the cable couldn't be replaced in sections as it is one long piece. I was never totally convinced of that though.

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AJR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:20 PM   #10
FutureSat
FutureSat has a spectacular aura aboutFutureSat has a spectacular aura aboutFutureSat has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL1
2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Dizzy Re: L200 Parking Brake Issues

On my 2002 saturn LW200, the parking brakes never worked. like you I just put it off and finally got around to replacing it. 4 disc brakes front & rear..

First thought- Cables which looked rusted.. replaced both sides

Parking brake still does not work..

Further inspection, there is a spring mechanism located at the bottom of the rear disc brake housing where the parking brake cable feeds into under the bottom rose bushing.. this spring looks like a tension that pull the cable back when disengaged. Passenger side had the spring, driver's side spring was missing..

added spring from scrap yard.

Parking brake still does not work.

Next up will be taking off the rear wheels and take off the calipers and discs to visually inspect the condition of the parking brakes..

Most likely after all this above ^^ was done is that everything inside the parking brake housing will be seized and rusted to crap.. Thanks Ontario Canada.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FutureSat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FutureSat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FutureSat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:57 PM   #11
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Please let us know what you find and how you resolve the problem. Two years ago I swapped out the rear drum brakes on my LS1 for rear disc brakes and I am so glad that I did it. The improvement in braking is significant. Of course, rust due to salted roads and related snow driving conditions are largely non-existent in Southern California.

Your situation has me curious because the parking brake system is not complex. I hope that all goes well for you in getting the parking brakes to work correctly again.

292,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote