SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Mods

Old 03-28-2006, 10:39 AM   #1
cpformula
cpformula is on a distinguished road

Default Anyone take a non redline Ion and make a redline Ion?

Just curious if anyone has converted their non supercharged Ion Quad Coupe to a Redline QC by adding the supercharger.....
cpformula is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2006, 05:56 PM   #2
lone_wolf
lone_wolf is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Anyone take a non redline Ion and make a redline Ion?

I don't think there's a supercharger for the 2.2 Ecotec's yet, so it's not really possible.. Unless you want swap the 2.0 supercharged in.. I think it would be easier to sell your 2.2 Ion, and just buy a redline.
Red 2005 Ion-3 coupe
lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:40 PM   #3
IonNinja
Advanced Member
IonNinja is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan

it would be more cost effective in my opinion to just turbocharge the car...you can't run the same amount of boost so you'd see about half the power gains. Not worth it IMO...

I do know there was a Cavalier on cobaltss.net that was taking the supercharger from the IRL and creating his own custom setup.
2005 Saturn Ion 2 Sedan
IonNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:47 AM   #4
cpformula

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonNinja
it would be more cost effective in my opinion to just turbocharge the car...you can't run the same amount of boost so you'd see about half the power gains. Not worth it IMO...

I do know there was a Cavalier on cobaltss.net that was taking the supercharger from the IRL and creating his own custom setup.
Understanding it probably isnt cost effective..... Ive seen 6cyl to v8 swaps in Camaros and Firebirds. Just wondered if anyone has done a Redline motor swap in an Ion.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:06 PM   #5
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf
I don't think there's a supercharger for the 2.2 Ecotec's yet, so it's not really possible.. Unless you want swap the 2.0 supercharged in.. I think it would be easier to sell your 2.2 Ion, and just buy a redline.
On the contrary....From Pace Performance....although it isn't cheap, you could make a RedLine 4 door with this.
"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:53 PM   #6
ion skater6912
ion skater6912 is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan

not sure is that one would fit, but check out speedmafia.com they have a stage 2 kit for close to that price i believe, and the stage 3 can put out crazy boost
after school is out, this summer when i get some hours at my job i'm getting the stage 2 kit
2005 ion sedan
Tsuedo exhaust, 17" motegi ff7s, eibach springs, copertop stb, recaros, ported LSJ manifold, ZZP downpipe, coupe front end swap
ion skater6912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 02:19 PM   #7
synthkat
synthkat is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Actually, RSM Racing has a supercharger kit for the Ion's too. They claim a 60hp gain. Follow this link:

http://www.rsmracing.com/ion.htm
- Synth
synthkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 02:31 PM   #8
saturn_69
Master Member

Whoa. The GM Goodwrench one is cheaper, looks more stock (I guess that's a duh comment) and makes a 110 hp boost. Yeah. I know which one I'd go with.
"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau
Old 03-30-2006, 05:29 PM   #9
IonNinja
Advanced Member

2005 ION-2 Sedan

that GM kit does not fit an Ion

also you wont see 110HP from that kit either...GM will not put out a supercharger kit that produces more power than the Redline. Its also not possible either because you cannot run the same amount of boost on the 2.2 as you can on the 2.0.
2005 Saturn Ion 2 Sedan
Old 03-30-2006, 08:50 PM   #10
cpformula

This thread has thoroughly been hijacked...

The question was.....

Has anyone converted an ION to a Redline? I'm not looking for alternatives such as GM kits etc....
Old 03-31-2006, 11:52 AM   #11
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpformula
This thread has thoroughly been hijacked...

The question was.....

Has anyone converted an ION to a Redline? I'm not looking for alternatives such as GM kits etc....
It hasn't been hijacked. Well, that's what we're discussing. You have to get the supercharger from somewhere, right? What other place than GM? Any other supercharger wouldn't be a RL supercharger. It would be cheaper to buy the Redline than to build up a QC into a Redline. There's alot more there than just a supercharger; you need a 2.0L engine, a different transmission, fuel pump, springs, shocks, brakes.....the list goes on.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:56 AM   #12
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
that GM kit does not fit an Ion

also you wont see 110HP from that kit either...GM will not put out a supercharger kit that produces more power than the Redline. Its also not possible either because you cannot run the same amount of boost on the 2.2 as you can on the 2.0.
I don't see why it wouldn't fit, the 2.2 in a Cavalier is the same one that's in the Ion - as long as you don't have drive by wire, which is '05 and up. As for the 110hp, that's GM's claim, not mine - I just repeated it. It says that it will boost your stock 2.2 to 250hp, and if the standard 2.2 is 140hp, then that's a 110hp jump. Of course they'd sell a part that could give you more power than a Redline, they do it all the time with their V8 crate engines, why not with the Ecotec? Remember, how fast you want to go is proportional to how much you want to spend.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:27 PM   #13
ion skater6912
ion skater6912 is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan

well back to you point, like said you would need more than just the super charger, you would basicly have to re-do a ton of stuff, its probably cheaper to just trade in your non redline to get a redline
2005 ion sedan
Tsuedo exhaust, 17" motegi ff7s, eibach springs, copertop stb, recaros, ported LSJ manifold, ZZP downpipe, coupe front end swap
ion skater6912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:20 PM   #14
wiseguy3501
wiseguy3501 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion skater6912
well back to you point, like said you would need more than just the super charger, you would basicly have to re-do a ton of stuff, its probably cheaper to just trade in your non redline to get a redline
But whats the fun in that??? To me its more fun to build up a car by hand. Like in the next couple of weeks I'm installing springs, front and rear swaybars, and a strut tower brace. Then I'm gonna save my money for a while and get the stage two supercharger system from speedmafia.com. Then if stuff starts breaking, like tranny, I'll swap in the RL tranny.

But in reality, you can build up on our cars for about the same price it would be for a RL. And thats with the cost of my car, $15,500. Lightly used but fully loaded. An Ion-1 can be quite a bit less than mine. And the RL base price.......about $20,000+
wiseguy3501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:40 PM   #15
Red4Coupe
Red4Coupe is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe

The stock Getrag trans (F23-M86) is sufficient to handle 250hp. Hahn Racecraft has a 2003 Cavalier thats running 400hp and high 12's in the quarter with the same transmission as we have. The biggest thing that breaks the transmission is the 1 wheel burnouts and wheel hop. Do yourself a favor and spend 1500 bucks for the Quaife LSD then get some poly engine mounts to reduce wheel hop and you should be on the fast ticket.

Oh yeah, just FYI. The Redline transmission is geared for track style racing meaning top speed and fairly tall gearing. Ours is geared a bit lower providing a good bit of torque for acceleration. It's not necessarily better, just a bit stronger.
Project RedH4wk
Projected 350-400 hp Turbo Ion QC2
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2137028

...'YOU BUILT ME, constructed by desire, perfected by hatred.'
~Atreyu
Red4Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 01:55 AM   #16
syphrus
syphrus is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Cheaper to buy a redline and twincharge it.
Example: Streetfire Clip
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...C296E45939.htm
syphrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 03:05 AM   #17
IonNinja
Advanced Member

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn_69
I don't see why it wouldn't fit, the 2.2 in a Cavalier is the same one that's in the Ion - as long as you don't have drive by wire, which is '05 and up. As for the 110hp, that's GM's claim, not mine - I just repeated it. It says that it will boost your stock 2.2 to 250hp, and if the standard 2.2 is 140hp, then that's a 110hp jump. Of course they'd sell a part that could give you more power than a Redline, they do it all the time with their V8 crate engines, why not with the Ecotec? Remember, how fast you want to go is proportional to how much you want to spend.
the engines may be both ecotecs but there are a few small differences between the engines & ecu that prevent this kit from working correctly with our ions.

and it would defeat the purpose of the Redline if you could buy an Ion 2 for 15K and throw the GM kit on it. Not to mention its still not possible because you can only run about half the boost that the Redline is running. I'm willing to put a good amount of money on it that you wouldn't see more than 200 crank hp with that kit.
2005 Saturn Ion 2 Sedan
Old 04-01-2006, 11:15 AM   #18
wiseguy3501

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

According to GM ecotec handbook, if you swap out the connecting rods and pistons, plus a few other parts you can hit up to 400 HP reliably. If you use FI. Not to mention the different pistons change the compression of the engine. 9:1 or lower depending on the pistons you use. You can also a use a 150 shot of nitrous oxide with this stronger setup.

If GM had developed it for our cars we'd know it. I bet the main reason that the supercharger kit wouldn't work is mainly the ECU programming. Even tho certain lines have to go certain places. The cavalier has the intake on the right of the engine, not the left like ours.

Last edited by wiseguy3501; 04-01-2006 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:23 AM   #19
syphrus
syphrus is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
the engines may be both ecotecs but there are a few small differences between the engines & ecu that prevent this kit from working correctly with our ions.

and it would defeat the purpose of the Redline if you could buy an Ion 2 for 15K and throw the GM kit on it. Not to mention its still not possible because you can only run about half the boost that the Redline is running. I'm willing to put a good amount of money on it that you wouldn't see more than 200 crank hp with that kit.
What about the SpeedMafia Procharger Kit?
syphrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 11:28 AM   #20
wiseguy3501

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by syphrus
What about the SpeedMafia Procharger Kit?
Personally I would want to whoop a RL if I had the speedmafia kit. But the issue is the compression the engine creates. Ours are high compression, 10:1, I think. If we reduce the engines compression to say 9:1 we can really take advantage of the forced induction without problems. Meaning, we could slaughter a RL.