SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 03-13-2015, 11:51 AM   #1
tink65
tink65 has a spectacular aura abouttink65 has a spectacular aura about

Default engine removal through bottom

How much clearance do I need to drop the cradle and the rest of the works and pull it out? I know the correct answer is "as high as you can get it", but someone has a number out there. My two ton jack stands will get to about 24 inches but I can brace the car higher if needed
tink65 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2015, 12:30 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: engine removal through bottom

The engine/transmission mounted to the cradle is about 3ft tall (maybe 4" below the strut mount height). Might be able to drop it 2" onto the cradle by removing the lower dog bone under the crankshaft (along with it's mounts) and the transmission mount, but you'll still need to find another 6" or more of lift from your current 24".

Might be real close with 28" of lift by pulling the setup out the side instead of out the front.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:12 PM   #3
tink65

Out the side makes perfect sense, and I may have room in the shop to do that. I measured my jacks and they're 28" on the highest peg, it may not be a bad idea to just build a trussed platform of 4x4s to set the car on.
Wish I had a lift....
Old 03-13-2015, 01:50 PM   #4
blue92
blue92 will become famous soon enoughblue92 will become famous soon enough

1992 SL1
1998 SC2

If you dismantle the engine in place, you can just lift it out in pieces.
92 SL1 original owner
94 SL2 Homecoming
98 SC2 White Hot
02 SC2
blue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:02 PM   #5
54packman
54packman will become famous soon enough

1998 SW2
2000 SC2

if you dont have a hoist it comes out easier out the top,,, if you have an auto trans you dont even have to move the tranni back, just support it with a small floor jack,, manual transmission you have to slide the transmission away from the motor a bit to get clearance to put it back in
54packman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:14 AM   #6
tink65

My reasoning for dropping the engine is as follows- I need to pull the trans to clean the new clutch plate that's being oiled by the poor rtv joint of the rear main seal plate. I had to drop the cradle two inches anyways to clear the gearbox to move the trans far enough out so I could work. Being cheap, when I pull the tranny I'm not pulling the axles so I don't lose any fluid. NOW I need to remove the !manifold, and that requires pulling the fuel rail, PS pump, and motor mount to make room and rotate the engine. Everything is easier with the motor out of the car at this point, and it'll let me really get in there with some engine degreaser too.
Height is not an obstacle. I can build whatever I need to get the car in the air, and if it really pisses me off I'll just pick the whole thing up with my chain hoist