SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 09:45 PM   #81
DeMAN
Advanced Member
DeMAN is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Default Re: Aura Vs Camry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSales
Ok everyone... I've spent part of the morning educating myself on the Accord and Camry... I even looked up the Acura RL since it was mentioned earlier... The RL BASE price is $49k... I won't even compare the Aura to the RL... The RL is in a different class of vehicle... it should be compared to Caddy... Here's what I have found...

Thanks that was great info and something that should be passed on to the customer.

I didn't mean to try to compare the TL or the RL to the Aura. I only mentioned the RL because of how it came about getting realtime data navi capabilities. That was again, Honda detuned 3.5 engine for the Navi technology plain and simple. Thank God that GM seems to have found an engine of there own in the 3.6 engine now with a 6 speed tranny.

The info you presented was the correct info to post. The Mazda 6 and the Nissan Maxima falls in that group. Saturn is getting help from Nissan in that its pricing the Maxima out of the Aura market and though the Maxima is almost 80 lbs lighter.

A person can now afford the 5 year Onstar for less than what an extended warranty use to cost. Now, you said the you would bring this to the next Saturn GM meeting (5 years free OnStar)

DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2006, 09:58 PM   #82
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Quote:
So there you have it.... vehicle prices (according to www.honda.com, www. toyota.com, and www.saturn.com) with and without navigation...
Well, it depends if people pay MSRP. I got a 11.5% discound under MSPR on my 2006 CRV-SE & I'm sure I could've gotten the same type of discount on a Accord EX V6 with Nav. What does that do to the numbers?

Wouldn't it have been cooler if they just put it in as a mid-year option? It ain't like it is a lot more than a screen, a GPS thing and some software.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-14-2006, 01:48 PM   #83
SaturnSales
SaturnSales is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by piney
Well, it depends if people pay MSRP. I got a 11.5% discound under MSPR on my 2006 CRV-SE & I'm sure I could've gotten the same type of discount on a Accord EX V6 with Nav. What does that do to the numbers?
Well I guess I'm the only one that can grab a calculator to do this for you..let's see... $29400 for the Accord EX-L V6 with Nav so take $29400 x .115 = 3381 so 29400 - 3381 = $26,019... So yes it would be cheaper than the fully loaded Aura XR... However also remember I did not add ANY options when pricing the Camry and Accord unless I had to take the package to get the NAV unit. If you want just a base Aura XR it's $24,595 add in the 5 years of OnStar with the directions and connections package you get $25,791.. difference of $228.... but the Aura does cost less when comparing apples to apples.... and you don't have to haggle for the best deal....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSales's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSales reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-14-2006, 01:57 PM   #84
mkaresh
Advanced Member
mkaresh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMAN
Right now, screens are in. Right now, most of your premium vehicles has a navi.
Now, since you are a saleman, sell GM on the fact to offer the OnStar for 5 years free. 299 dollars a year is hardly going to send GM to the poor house. In fact, they would more than make take money back in increased sales.
GM is now the only one that offers a system such as Onstar. The Navi that the Acura RL actually has was part of a engine, technology swap by GM and Honda. You, know the same detuned 3.5 engine found in Vue.

Aura is definately a step in the right direction for GM, and I will never argue that. The Navi and or 5 year free OnStar would be out of the park home run for GM. I can hardly wait for the Aura Redline.
Navigation systems aren't free, why should this be? $100 year sounds very reasonable for those planning to have OnStar anyway. Frankly, I don't see how OnStar can provide this service so cheaply. They must be assuming that the average person won't use it often.

Navigation systems have continuing costs if you want to keep the road map database up to date, so OnStar is not unique on this, either. No idea how many people bother to buy the upgraded DVD/CD, or how much they usually cost.

truedelta.com -- need more Saturns!
More useful reliability information -- first info on Aura and Outlook
Price comparisons, quick and thorough

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkaresh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkaresh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-14-2006, 03:05 PM   #85
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

A navigation system seems like it should have been a no-brainer for GM. After all, it's not like the Accord just added it this year! Even the economy class Mazda 3 offers one, so why would GM even take a chance on making it an issue?

Personally, for me it would be a nice toy, but a portable GPS unit is a lot less expensive! I guess the factory nav systems offer more than aftermarket GPS systems though, right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-14-2006, 03:51 PM   #86
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2
A navigation system seems like it should have been a no-brainer for GM. After all, it's not like the Accord just added it this year! Even the economy class Mazda 3 offers one, so why would GM even take a chance on making it an issue?

Personally, for me it would be a nice toy, but a portable GPS unit is a lot less expensive! I guess the factory nav systems offer more than aftermarket GPS systems though, right?
The Mazda 3 is hardly what I would call economy class, especially when you get the Nav system (I swear if I see someone type 'NAVI' again....it's NAV, not NAVI!). To get Nav on a Mazda 3, you have to get the 'S Grand Touring Package' - which is $19,725 - then add the Nav system for $1,750...but WAIT! That requires the Bose stereo system, at a cost of $1,330. Grand Total? $22,810. Hardly economy class, and not really a bargain considering the number of competent mid-size cars you can get for that price. The question remains, are Nav systems, at their current price, really worth the cost? I totally agree that if you really, really feel you need one, buy a $300 Garmin so you can take it with you into every car you own or rent, then you don't have to worry about whether or not the car you like has it.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-14-2006, 03:53 PM   #87
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:

Wouldn't it have been cooler if they just put it in as a mid-year option? It ain't like it is a lot more than a screen, a GPS thing and some software.
That's because Honda slaps an extra 20% onto the price of their cars so buyers can feel like they got a bargain when in fact they paid 5% more than the car was worth. You couldn't pay me to own a Honda, or any other Japanese car for that matter, I much prefer American or European.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-14-2006, 06:17 PM   #88
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
A $35 OBD reader will tell you what is wrong with your car. A Nav system provides visuals and spoken directions, has phone numbers, gas stations and so much more. The newer ones in the Acuras and such also tell you where traffic is backed up & you don't have to call to see if there is a crash up ahead as the nav is always on.
How many people do you really expect to buy an OBD reader and use it?

Nav systems don't have all the other things OnStar has--airbag notification, remote door unlock (if the keys are locked in), etc.

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-14-2006, 06:33 PM   #89
y2chuck
Advanced Member
y2chuck is on a distinguished road

I'd probably never use either, but if it came down to making a choice, I'd take OnStar over a Nav system. Although you only get turn-by-turn navigation through OnStar with the $580/year package (well, that's the CDN price anyway)

I think the Aura should have one available if only because it's competitors have it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to y2chuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help y2chuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-14-2006, 07:00 PM   #90
SKYGUY10066
SKYGUY10066 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2chuck
I'd probably never use either, but if it came down to making a choice, I'd take OnStar over a Nav system. Although you only get turn-by-turn navigation through OnStar with the $580/year package (well, that's the CDN price anyway)

I think the Aura should have one available if only because it's competitors have it.
I like the screen of a nav system. I hate talking to Onstar advisors half the time they cannot speak proper english however the benefits FAR out way the benefits of a stand alone nav system. The thought of ever owning a vehicle w/o Onstar is grim. I will never let my wife drive a vehicle w/o Onstar. I feel good knowing that she can get directions, roadside, diagnostics and the like at a touch of a button. And then you have the advantage of personal calling. Onstar is a feature that is not appreciated until you have to use it...I just happen to have seen enough people use it as a dealer employee to know better myself. And I DO pay 30.95 every month for it and wouldn't have it any other way

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SKYGUY10066's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SKYGUY10066 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-14-2006, 10:24 PM   #91
DeMAN
Advanced Member

1995 SC2
Thumbs Up Re: Aura Vs Camry

I will give GM credit for being way head of the game with OnStar. Its by far better and the future for a product that every modern car should have. I do think however that there is room for both. The OnStar information should be presented on a screen or better yet on the windshield like headup display on my 97 Grand Prix. Its something again that GM is way out in front on and can do this now. GM now has the platform in which they can take technology and styling and lump them into the Aura.

DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DeMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-14-2006, 11:20 PM   #92
piney
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp326
How many people do you really expect to buy an OBD reader and use it?.
Probably about as many as use On-Star for dinner reservations....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-16-2006, 01:58 PM   #93
DeMAN
Advanced Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSales
Well I guess I'm the only one that can grab a calculator to do this for you..let's see... $29400 for the Accord EX-L V6 with Nav so take $29400 x .115 = 3381 so 29400 - 3381 = $26,019... So yes it would be cheaper than the fully loaded Aura XR... However also remember I did not add ANY options when pricing the Camry and Accord unless I had to take the package to get the NAV unit. If you want just a base Aura XR it's $24,595 add in the 5 years of OnStar with the directions and connections package you get $25,791.. difference of $228.... but the Aura does cost less when comparing apples to apples.... and you don't have to haggle for the best deal....

Why does the 07 Opel Vectra comes with a Nav and the Aura doesn't since they are the same car?

DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-16-2006, 02:49 PM   #94
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Aura uses the same basic mechanical chassis as the Opel, but the dash ass'y is based on the one used in the Malibu and G6. They don't offer nav systems.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-16-2006, 04:50 PM   #95
mkaresh
Advanced Member
mkaresh is on a distinguished road

The Aura and Vectra aren't that closely related, that's mostly GM's PR and the similar front end talking. I have wondered if the fenders and/or hood are the same.

Either way, the Aura is most closely related to the G6.

Edit: Just compared photos. These cars share no exterior pieces.

Frankly, I'm impressed that GM has made the Aura as unique as it has. Major investment in Saturn. If it doesn't pay off, I doubt they'll give the brand a third shot at a midsize car.

truedelta.com -- need more Saturns!
More useful reliability information -- first info on Aura and Outlook
Price comparisons, quick and thorough

Last edited by mkaresh; 09-16-2006 at 04:59 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkaresh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkaresh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-16-2006, 04:53 PM   #96
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
Why does the 07 Opel Vectra comes with a Nav and the Aura doesn't since they are the same car?
Because they aren't the same car. And, the Vectra costs much more than the Aura since Europeans will pay more for a mid-sized (or compact car) than we will, so they can include more stuff.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-16-2006, 08:16 PM   #97
piney
Master Member

Why can you get Nav in a Civic but not an Aura?

The TSX's nav system does this:

To help find your way in unfamiliar places, the TSX‘s easy-to-use Acura Navigation System* with Voice Recognition™ features moving map displays and a voice recognition feature that can recognize up to 600 voice commands. This system works with GPS satellites and an onboard inertial-guidance system to help keep you aware of your surroundings. The voice recognition feature makes it easy to call for help if you make a wrong turn.

I guess only foreign branded car drivers need travel directions at this price point...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-16-2006, 09:03 PM   #98
cdp326
Master Member

Quote:
Why can you get Nav in a Civic but not an Aura?

The TSX's nav system does this:

To help find your way in unfamiliar places, the TSX‘s easy-to-use Acura Navigation System* with Voice Recognition™ features moving map displays and a voice recognition feature that can recognize up to 600 voice commands. This system works with GPS satellites and an onboard inertial-guidance system to help keep you aware of your surroundings. The voice recognition feature makes it easy to call for help if you make a wrong turn.

I guess only foreign branded car drivers need travel directions at this price point...
Ford offers it in the Fusion (and Mercury Milan) and the new Chrysler Sebring have nav systems.
The OnStar Turn-by-Turn Directions (or whatever its called) does give travel directions; the difference is the screen. One advantage of the OnStar version is that since it's displayed in the Driver Information Center in the gauge cluster, there's less eyes off the road time and/or the eyes aren't as far off. With screens, they are often mounted lower in the dash. Screens, on the other hand, make it easier to enter a destination.

If you want an in-dash nav system with a screen really bad, just buy one from GM. The Buick Lucerne has an optional nav system w/ screen but has the same Black Tie radio as the Aura standard. For some reason, the 2007 Chevy Equinox (and maybe the Pontiac Torrent too) offer a nav system w/ screen, but since it has a silver finish and not black it wouldn't look quite so integrated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-16-2006, 09:48 PM   #99
DeMAN
Advanced Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp326
The OnStar Turn-by-Turn Directions (or whatever its called) does give travel directions; the difference is the screen. One advantage of the OnStar version is that since it's displayed in the Driver Information Center in the gauge cluster, there's less eyes off the road time and/or the eyes aren't as far off. With screens, they are often mounted lower in the dash. Screens, on the other hand, make it easier to enter a destination.
So agian let put the turn or screen in the window, GM done the headup display more than 10 years ago so I know they can do this now and keep the cost down especially if they go across the board. Yes the Vectra and the Aura are very much alike especially the 07 Vectra. The 06 looks more like the new Malibu.

May daughter who's in Germany rents the Vectra alot. She like the car alot and would buy one if they were here in the states. Now she can buy the Aura

DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-16-2006, 10:14 PM   #100
cdp326
Master Member

Quote:
So agian let put the turn or screen in the window, GM done the headup display more than 10 years ago so I know they can do this now and keep the cost down especially if they go across the board. Yes the Vectra and the Aura are very much alike especially the 07 Vectra. The 06 looks more like the new Malibu.

May daughter who's in Germany rents the Vectra alot. She like the car alot and would buy one if they were here in the states. Now she can buy the Aura
Yes, they are similar, but still very different. The Aura is longer, has different powertrains, a different interior, and offers different equipment. If you brought your daughter out to an Aura without showing her the front, just the back and then inside, she likely wouldn't instantly recognize it.
The HUD idea would be excellent, although it will likely be limited only to more expensive larger vehicles for a while.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread