SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 06:09 PM   #41
Mobstarr
Mobstarr is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
Default Re: Aura Vs Camry

test drove the camry and it didt appeal. so much hype to. even when i heard my best friend get excited about it at the L.A. Auto show, i was trying to get glimpses of it. it truly did seem appealing the first few times i saw it, then that died when this july i got into a car accident and totaled my 2000 Corrola. Loved that car. So i thought, well let's get a camry now. test drove it. i couldn't afford anything more than 24k so it was th V4. Wow!!! that sucked. Road noise Smell of plastic over leather. Plastic here, there, everywhere. that was imediatly a heart-breaker. Sisters got a nice 2003 Accord... Better interior, but the 07's look boring outside. While i test drove the Accord, we drove by the Saturn dealer ship and the Arua was beautiful. it was the XE Black and man. Had to see it. Had to drive it Had to look around in it... had to love it. Bought it. every one has tons of opinions here. But mine will not waver. This ride is Dope! and seriously test one out. you may not change your mind but you'll cross off more than half the negatives on you list. Navs are for whimps by the way. OnStar's been fun. MY OPINION!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mobstarr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mobstarr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2006, 09:18 PM   #42
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky
Which sedans do you think are really attractive? It's OK to say that you choose a car for exterior aesthetics but we need examples.

I like the exterior of the Aura and the interior of the Camry. I think the best looking exterior of all the mid size sedans is the new Sebring.

I would choose the car that had the most comfortable driving position and was the quietest on the highway.
Chrysler 300C, BMW 3 and 5 series, Audi A4 and A7, Chevy Impala, Alfa Romeo 159, the G6 and Aura. They may not be the most gorgeous cars out there, but they have something going on that the Camry can't capture.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-07-2006, 10:34 PM   #43
AgmLauncher
AgmLauncher is on a distinguished road

The matchbox-sized wheels on ALL Toyotas make me giggle.

I wouldn't be suprised if Toyota offered SMALLER wheels on their trim packages as if it's a good thing....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AgmLauncher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AgmLauncher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-07-2006, 10:39 PM   #44
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn_69
What mid-size car do you find to be not bland?
Oh yeah, forgot to mention the Subaru Legacy GT. That's probably my favorite midsize sedan, by far! I liked the Audi A4 a lot too before they gave it the butt ugly oversized grille.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-07-2006, 11:23 PM   #45
mkaresh
Advanced Member
mkaresh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSales
Reliability huh? As a former Toyota service consultant I can tell you the Toyota reliability is a myth.... does anyone remember the oil gelling issue? I will give them credit they did right by the customers on that issue. I even replaced one engine that had been driven 20,000 miles in 14 months without an oil change.. Toyota still picked up the bill on the repair. They acknoloweged the problem and took care of it. but everyone saying the Camry is a reliable car has never worked in a Toyota service department. For some reason customers give Toyota a pass on the small things that break and hammer GM for them. In the eyes of many Toyota can do no wrong... and GM does everything wrong....
You're got to look at how CR's survey is worded to know how much impact this can have. Respondents are allowed to decide whether a problem is serious enough to report. I've written about this here:

http://www.truedelta.com/pieces/cr_survey.php

I'm not making the same mistake in my own research.

That said, how a company responds to problems is at least as important as how many problems there are. I've personally had bad experiences with GM (1989), Ford (2003), and Chrysler (right now) in this area.

When it started out, Saturn was much better than the Detroit norm at owning up to problems and doing the right thing. Is this still the case?

truedelta.com -- need more Saturns!
More useful reliability information -- first info on Aura and Outlook
Price comparisons, quick and thorough

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkaresh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkaresh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-07-2006, 11:31 PM   #46
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Maybe I'm just weird, but I think this is a much nicer looking car than the Aura!

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...php/photo/8400

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...php/photo/8401

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-07-2006, 11:40 PM   #47
mkaresh
Advanced Member
mkaresh is on a distinguished road

Let's hope most people disagree, as the public didn't exactly fall in love with the L-Series.

truedelta.com -- need more Saturns!
More useful reliability information -- first info on Aura and Outlook
Price comparisons, quick and thorough

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkaresh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkaresh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2006, 07:53 AM   #48
SKYGUY10066
SKYGUY10066 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2
Maybe I'm just weird, but I think this is a much nicer looking car than the Aura!

Um....YES you ARE weird

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SKYGUY10066's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SKYGUY10066 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2006, 04:10 PM   #49
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:

It needs a bigger grill and lights and more chrome!

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2006, 04:17 PM   #50
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgmLauncher
The matchbox-sized wheels on ALL Toyotas make me giggle.

I wouldn't be suprised if Toyota offered SMALLER wheels on their trim packages as if it's a good thing....
Smaller wheels= bigger tires= smoother ride and less damage caused by potholes and curbs. Toyota buyers are not little kids who want 20 inch bling bling wheels.
Give me 15 inch steelies and 65 series tires any day.
The Camry comes with 16s

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2006, 04:23 PM   #51
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn_69
Chrysler 300C, BMW 3 and 5 series, Audi A4 and A7, Chevy Impala, Alfa Romeo 159, the G6 and Aura. They may not be the most gorgeous cars out there, but they have something going on that the Camry can't capture.
How about the Altima, Malibu or Fusion?
The new Impala looks great in blue.
The Camry looks odd from the front but I like the look of the high beltline. It makes it look larger than it is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2006, 04:25 PM   #52
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
Oh yeah, forgot to mention the Subaru Legacy GT. That's probably my favorite midsize sedan, by far! I liked the Audi A4 a lot too before they gave it the butt ugly oversized grille.

Okay, I do like that one, too. But the headlights are bordering on large and there's chrome in that widemouth grille. It looks like a cross between a Bonneville and an Accord, but I do like it. I love frameless side windows, too.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2006, 04:32 PM   #53
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky
How about the Altima, Malibu or Fusion?
The new Impala looks great in blue.
The Camry looks odd from the front but I like the look of the high beltline. It makes it look larger than it is.
The Fusion is okay, the new Malibu - the one in the spy pics - looks promising...the Altima? No. Looks like a 7/8 scale K-Mart version of the Maxima. There is someone near where I work that has an '07 Impala SS in that really beautiful blue, he has 20'' rims on it. Now normally, I don't like anything over 18'' but these aren't "Pimp My Ride"-looking. That car is totally badass and the exhaust sound....oh dear God. Rev it again and I'll need a smoke.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2006, 05:25 PM   #54
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member

Surprisingly, I kind of like the Ford Fusion in person, even though I think it looks too boxy and angular in photos. It seems sleeker in person. But I wouldn't buy a car built in Mexico.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2006, 05:50 PM   #55
spartsguy29
spartsguy29 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMAN
One thing that I did dislike about the Aura was the multi-color interior in the top model. The armrest and dash one color and the seat being two color that really doesn't match the rest of the interior.
The G6 has been out long enough to take care of any room issues.

I liked the overall look, but there is know room for error when you are going against the Camry.

The Aura needs a 4 banger too. Price and gas mileage is going to mean everything
Wouldn't that have comparable fuel mileage to the V6 just because of the weight of the car? I think the 2.4 might have been a good choice but I think it still might be underpowered and overtaxed.

You get what you pay for. This applies in all aspects of life, like it or not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spartsguy29's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spartsguy29 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2006, 10:19 PM   #56
Greenhornet
Greenhornet will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMAN
Make no mistake Aura will be going headup with Camry
Here are the interior demensions on both cars. Both are close with Aura leading in some and the Camry in others

I have seen both cars and like them both. I think except for name GM has finally put something on the road that can compete. Aura will have an uphill battle with camry avg monthly sales of 40k per month.

Aura

Seating (Standard)5Seating
(Optional)N/ATow Capacity (Standard)1000Tow Capacity (Maximum)1000
Headroom (Front)39.4
Headroom (Row 2)37.4
Hiproom (Front)53.0
Hiproom (Row 2)52.2
Legroom (Front)42.2
Legroom (Row 2)37.6
Shoulder Room (Front)55.9
Shoulder Room (Row 2)54.0
Seating (Maximum)5

Toyota Camry

Seating (Standard)5Seating
(Optional)N/ATow Capacity
(Standard)1000Tow Capacity (Maximum)1000
Headroom (Front)38.8
Headroom (Row 2)37.8
Hiproom (Front)54.6
Hiproom (Row 2)53.9
Legroom (Front)41.7
Legroom (Row 2)38.3
Shoulder Room (Front)57.8
Shoulder Room (Row 2)56.9
Seating (Maximum)5

People don't buy cars because of very small differences in interior dimensions. They buy because of percieved value for the buck and standard and optional equipment. They also buy because of how the car's styling appeals to them. Ride and drives are a huge factor and that is where the AURA can kick Camry's butt.

The Camry is a very good car to be sure. But it is an appliance, like driving a very good toaster or refrigerator, it is dull, bland, white bread and mayo. The Accord is much nicer but neither can hold a candle to the AURA, which is an authentic European bred sports sedan, exciting, fun to drive, great handling, presice steering, powerful, solid, terrific brakes, the list goes on and on. Of course there will be people who will prefer Camry, more of the them will prefer AURA. That high volume stuff is Chevrolets business. SATURN wants the enthusiast VW or Volvo driver or the guy[or girl] who would buy a BMW,Audi or small Merecedes but can't afford it. This car will appeal to those specific sports sedan buyers. Yes

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greenhornet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greenhornet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2006, 10:52 PM   #57
AgmLauncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet
People don't buy cars because of very small differences in interior dimensions. They buy because of percieved value for the buck and standard and optional equipment. They also buy because of how the car's styling appeals to them. Ride and drives are a huge factor and that is where the AURA can kick Camry's butt.

The Camry is a very good car to be sure. But it is an appliance, like driving a very good toaster or refrigerator, it is dull, bland, white bread and mayo. The Accord is much nicer but neither can hold a candle to the AURA, which is an authentic European bred sports sedan, exciting, fun to drive, great handling, presice steering, powerful, solid, terrific brakes, the list goes on and on. Of course there will be people who will prefer Camry, more of the them will prefer AURA. That high volume stuff is Chevrolets business. SATURN wants the enthusiast VW or Volvo driver or the guy[or girl] who would buy a BMW,Audi or small Merecedes but can't afford it. This car will appeal to those specific sports sedan buyers. Yes
This is why I bought the Aura. It's an affordable luxury sport sedan. If I had had the money, I definitely would have purchased a CTS-V. So the Aura fits in nicely with that niche of car buyers.

Quote:
Smaller wheels= bigger tires= smoother ride and less damage caused by potholes and curbs. Toyota buyers are not little kids who want 20 inch bling bling wheels.
Give me 15 inch steelies and 65 series tires any day.
The Camry comes with 16s
But the question then becomes, what was the point of redesigning the look of the Camry? Clearly one of the (attempted) objectives was to make the car visually appealing or else they wouldn't have spent so much money on a re-design intended to be eye catching. There's no point in doing that if you're just going to ruin the look with small wheels. 16's are fine on smaller cars like the Corolla, but they just look silly on larger cars like the Camry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AgmLauncher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2006, 10:59 PM   #58
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet
That high volume stuff is Chevrolets business. SATURN wants the enthusiast VW or Volvo driver or the guy[or girl] who would buy a BMW,Audi or small Merecedes but can't afford it. This car will appeal to those specific sports sedan buyers. Yes
Then why does the G6 look more like a sports sedan than the Aura? The Aura looks more like the old folks version with its chrome trime and many spoke wheels, etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2006, 11:06 PM   #59
AgmLauncher

No offense but in no way does the Aura look more like an old folk's version of the G6. A dozen alloy spokes is NOT the same as a crap load of tiny wires found on 1980s oldsmobiles.

Frankly, I think my black Aura XR with chrome trim looks 100x sportier than the bland G6.

Maybe if the G6 actually looked like this it would be sportier than the Aura, but right now I don't think it cuts it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2006, 11:18 PM   #60
plane
plane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
LOL! Sorry, but both look pretty bland to me. The Aura looks like a glorified Dodge Stratus. I think the Pontiac G6 is sleeker than both the Aura and the Camry. (Although the G6 still has too much of the "bugeye" look with its large headlight assemblies.)
IMHO, the Saturn Aura is distinct and far better looking inside and out.
The Saturn has a distinct - aggressive yet refined - front end unlike nothing else on the road, far better than the Camry.
The back end is very similar in shape to the G6, not surprising since it is the same platform, but with chrome trim and different tail lights.
The Aura interior photos don't do it justice.
The console is nicely wrapped, the gauges are excellent and fit and finish is superb.
Who else has Morrocan leather for only $100? it's luxurious and durable.

I think that when people try to lump the Aura in with the Camry it's a sign truly of how far GM has come in such a short time. Yes, the Aura is truly competitive, and the new Malibu and CTS are just around the corner.

Watch out for GM on a roll!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plane's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plane reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread