SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 09:32 PM   #1
DeMAN
Advanced Member
DeMAN is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Default Aura Vs Camry

Make no mistake Aura will be going headup with Camry
Here are the interior demensions on both cars. Both are close with Aura leading in some and the Camry in others

I have seen both cars and like them both. I think except for name GM has finally put something on the road that can compete. Aura will have an uphill battle with camry avg monthly sales of 40k per month.

Aura

Seating (Standard)5Seating
(Optional)N/ATow Capacity (Standard)1000Tow Capacity (Maximum)1000
Headroom (Front)39.4
Headroom (Row 2)37.4
Hiproom (Front)53.0
Hiproom (Row 2)52.2
Legroom (Front)42.2
Legroom (Row 2)37.6
Shoulder Room (Front)55.9
Shoulder Room (Row 2)54.0
Seating (Maximum)5

Toyota Camry

Seating (Standard)5Seating
(Optional)N/ATow Capacity
(Standard)1000Tow Capacity (Maximum)1000
Headroom (Front)38.8
Headroom (Row 2)37.8
Hiproom (Front)54.6
Hiproom (Row 2)53.9
Legroom (Front)41.7
Legroom (Row 2)38.3
Shoulder Room (Front)57.8
Shoulder Room (Row 2)56.9
Seating (Maximum)5

DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2006, 06:47 AM   #2
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: Aura Vs Camry

The difference in width (hip/shoulder room) is fairly noticeable. Probably has a lot to do with the design of the seats.
The 3 main Epsilon cars put together won't outsell the Camry.
I think the AURA is more or less a test for GM to see if they can build a high volume, high quality car. Once the AURA is established then Chevrolet will introduce the redesigned Malibu to compete with the Camry.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-03-2006, 07:48 AM   #3
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Aura XR Camry SE V6

That is a side-by-side comparo. Looks pretty even. It'll come down to price and preference. While the Toyota dealership experience is horrible, they do play on the price.

IIRC, the Camry V6 hauls tail. The write ups I've seen on the Aura put it a second or so slower to 60. The Toyota also has a 5 year / 60k powertrain warranty. Odd that the Aura does not have the fold down (pass-through) rear seats.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-03-2006, 08:32 AM   #4
AgmLauncher
AgmLauncher is on a distinguished road

The XR DOES have the fold down rear seats. If they didn't mention that in that comparison, they either got an odd model, or they didn't bother checking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AgmLauncher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AgmLauncher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-03-2006, 10:37 AM   #5
DeMAN
Advanced Member

1995 SC2

One thing that I did dislike about the Aura was the multi-color interior in the top model. The armrest and dash one color and the seat being two color that really doesn't match the rest of the interior.

Quote:
The difference in width (hip/shoulder room) is fairly noticeable. Probably has a lot to do with the design of the seats.
The 3 main Epsilon cars put together won't outsell the Camry.
I think the AURA is more or less a test for GM to see if they can build a high volume, high quality car. Once the AURA is established then Chevrolet will introduce the redesigned Malibu to compete with the Camry.
The G6 has been out long enough to take care of any room issues.

I liked the overall look, but there is know room for error when you are going against the Camry.

The Aura needs a 4 banger too. Price and gas mileage is going to mean everything

That should be the goal of GM. Anything else is a mistake

This is the target:
Quote:
Total Camry enjoyed combined August sales of 42,227 units, up 1.9 percent.

DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

Last edited by DeMAN; 09-03-2006 at 10:52 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DeMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-03-2006, 02:56 PM   #6
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
The G6 has been out long enough to take care of any room issues.
Room issues? I don't get it.

Quote:
I liked the overall look, but there is no room for error when you are going against the Camry.
And the Altima, Accord, Sonata

Quote:
The Aura needs a 4 banger too. Price and gas mileage is going to mean everything
The OHV V6 is probably cheaper than the Ecotec 4. Hopefully the GreenLine version will be reliable and work well.
[/QUOTE]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-03-2006, 09:23 PM   #7
BradJK
BradJK is on a distinguished road

2005 RELAY-2
2001 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by piney
Aura XR Camry SE V6
Odd that the Aura does not have the fold down (pass-through) rear seats.
Is it true that the XE Aura doesn't have a fold down rear seat.
Unbelievable, That feature is quite a factor for me while
comparison shopping vehicles!

update.
Just checked gmcanada.com and XE's & XR's do have fold down rear seats.
"rear seat functions include : fold forward seatback"

Last edited by BradJK; 09-03-2006 at 09:29 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BradJK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BradJK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-03-2006, 09:30 PM   #8
kwelz
kwelz is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

The XE, at least mine, does have Fold down rear seats.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kwelz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kwelz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-03-2006, 10:38 PM   #9
piney
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwelz
The XE, at least mine, does have Fold down rear seats.
Just goes to show how much research MSN puts into their site's info...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-03-2006, 11:28 PM   #10
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMAN
The Aura Green Line will get the mpg up, unfortunately you'll have to pay extra for it.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-04-2006, 05:41 AM   #11
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

Even if the Aura can compete with the Camry, it will take years for Saturn to knock the king off its throne, if its even possible?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-04-2006, 07:21 AM   #12
y2chuck
Advanced Member
y2chuck is on a distinguished road

I looked at an 07 Camry SE and XLE a few months ago. Took the XLE out for a spin as well. The Camry is simply in a league of its own. It's a fantastic car inside and out. I don't think any mid-size will knock the Camry off it's perch anytime soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to y2chuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help y2chuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-04-2006, 08:30 AM   #13
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2chuck
I looked at an 07 Camry SE and XLE a few months ago. Took the XLE out for a spin as well. The Camry is simply in a league of its own. It's a fantastic car inside and out. I don't think any mid-size will knock the Camry off it's perch anytime soon.
A problem with the Camry I see is that a loaded V6 (leather, moonroof, fancy radio) runs above $29K US. All the competition is under $28K, plus there seems to be no deals on the Camry. The Camry is lower priced if you get a 4 cylinder but I think the power to weight ratio is marginal in that case.

The Aura XE is a relative bargain in this case because you do get a good amount of power (I would guess it's not as smooth as the DOHC engines) and can still get leather, moonroof, sat radio etc. You lose the ESC though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-04-2006, 09:00 AM   #14
y2chuck
Advanced Member
y2chuck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky
A problem with the Camry I see is that a loaded V6 (leather, moonroof, fancy radio) runs above $29K US. All the competition is under $28K, plus there seems to be no deals on the Camry.
Doesn't seem to matter as they only have a 10 day supply of them on dealer lots.

Camry sold 41,892 units in July with an average selling price of $22,558 while the G6 did 17,516 units at an average price of $21,625. doesn't look like people mind paying the price premium for them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to y2chuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help y2chuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-04-2006, 09:20 AM   #15
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2chuck
Doesn't seem to matter as they only have a 10 day supply of them on dealer lots.
True, I'm suprised they even stay that long. I don't see any Camrys or Corollas on the lots around here. OTOH the Highlander has been left behind and plenty are available at discounts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-04-2006, 10:32 AM   #16
DeMAN
Advanced Member

1995 SC2
Thumbs Up Re: Aura Vs Camry

Quality or being associated with quality is the reason that Camry does so well. They went after the European cars instead of our car when it came to quality. Then they found a way to give you same or better quality at a much lower price. That all equal to 42k per month in sales.
If you take Malibu, G6, and Aura total sales together will come close to Camry.

Its funny how we have to put three cars together to equal the Camry sales and the Malibu isn't on the new Platform yet.

This is how GM looks at it offering more. Now GM will need to streamline and basically use the same engines and trannys across the board to make things be OK. The quicker the better.

I would expect Aura to avg about 8k-10k per month in sales when people find out about the car. Not Camry sales but pulling there weight among the trio.

DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-04-2006, 03:43 PM   #17
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMAN
I would expect Aura to avg about 8k-10k per month in sales when people find out about the car. Not Camry sales but pulling there weight among the trio.
10K would be pretty good. There's a chance this year that the Camry will be the best selling car since the 1978 Caprice.
I looked at the Kia Optima today. It's a pretty good price for a roomy car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-04-2006, 04:31 PM   #18
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

Another think to keep in mind is Camry's resale value. What will I be able to get for a Aura in three years? My VUE was only worth half of what I paid after three years.Whats a three year old L going for?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-04-2006, 05:46 PM   #19
gmhashope
gmhashope is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan

The old Camry used to be just plain, now the new one is just plain ugly. I'd take an Aura over it any day of the week. While, the Aura will not knock the Camry off of its throne, it will draw a lot of import buyers to the Saturn brand.

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than liked for who I'm not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gmhashope's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gmhashope reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-04-2006, 07:23 PM   #20
piney
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt
Another think to keep in mind is Camry's resale value. What will I be able to get for a Aura in three years? My VUE was only worth half of what I paid after three years.Whats a three year old L going for?
Its resale will be dependent upon many factors, most at the control of GM:
  • How many teething problems they have
  • How many get dumped in rental fleets
  • How many incentives GM has to give away in the coming years
  • Their durability
  • Demand for them

Not too many Camri are in rental fleets and there are precius few deals on them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread