SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #21
cverstij
cverstij is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2008 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Next Gen Aura put on hold!

You cannot tell me that their financial situation had absolutely NOTHING to do with the suspension.

What's up with the CPA thing anyway?

Last edited by cverstij; 06-27-2008 at 05:05 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cverstij's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cverstij reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cverstij is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2008, 09:59 PM   #22
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Money had everything to do with the Aura being on hold. GM don't have the luxury of investing in cars that don't give them a positive return on their investment.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:41 PM   #23
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_Rules View Post
GM has put the Insignia based Aura on hold as of last week. There is no apparent reason why it was put on hold.
Because they can't even sell the current version?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:14 PM   #24
TechnoAura
TechnoAura is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
Money had everything to do with the Aura being on hold. GM don't have the luxury of investing in cars that don't give them a positive return on their investment.
That is absolutely correct. Money had everything to do with GM's decision to put the next generation Aura on hold. GM lacks funding. Investors are running in the opposite direction! Who wants to invest in a company whose stock is the lowest it's been over 30-years? Unfortunately GM's current product portfolio, as great as it may look, is not enough to bring in the investors.

2011 Buick Regal CXL RL2
Previous Saturns:
2007 Aura XE, Auto, Techno Grey with Grey Cloth
2005 Ion III, Manual, Black with Grey Leather
1999 SL2, Manual, Dark Blue with Grey Leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TechnoAura's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TechnoAura reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TechnoAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:15 AM   #25
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Not a good sign... Remember what I said about GM getting a return on investment for a Saturn versions of a platform.

The Aura represents ~15% of GM mid size sales on the Epsilon platform, with the G6 and Malibu with 85%. It cost GM the same to update the Aura as the Malibu, but the profits from the G6 and Malibu will give 6 times the return.

When the money gets tight, tough decisions will be made. I really was looking forward to driving this car...
That's partly correct ... the design & engineering would be comparable, but the cost for tools and equipment is where the big money is. The big question is how "scalable" are these manufacturing investments? e.g.; if it takes (3) production lines to produce the Malibu, but only (1) to produce Aura, then 2:1 is more likely ratio than 6:1

Additionally, if the Aura is more of an Opel clone (as was the 2008 Vue), then the economies of scale might have this become a re-badged Opel, or even be made in Europe (as is the Astra).

GM is not likely to kill-off Saturn before taking the ax to Buick (overpriced sibling to the late Oldsmobile, r.i.p.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:40 PM   #26
VWCarcrazy
Advanced Member
VWCarcrazy is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Sorry, but I am not overly disappointed with the news. My Aura is only 1 month old. The design is only 2 model years old. I don't mind if my Aura is not too obsolete for a year or 3. Maybe if GM/Saturn put some better marketing, particularly advertising the gas mileage of the 4 cylinder. If they did, maybe they would sell better. There were over 200 Auras on my local Saturn dealers lot, and only 2 Malibus at the Chevy dealer. Guess which one made me a better deal by almost $4000 for basically the same car. And we like the overall Saturn styling better. My wife is going ga-ga with the XM radio, so I guess I will spring for the subscription once the initial 3 months is up. She is not crazy about the Verizon car telephone however. So far she has gotten 3 calls, and all were wrong numbers (using up the minutes, too). 1500 miles and I am still impressed that the 2.4L is every bit as peppy as the 6 cylinder Sebring we traded in, and we are averaging a little over 29 mpg for a 50/50 mix of city/hwy on an engine not even broken in yet (and I am no feather-weight on the gas pedal, as my wife reminds me - and I push 70 mph on the freeway and will turn on the AC as necessary).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VWCarcrazy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VWCarcrazy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VWCarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:30 AM   #27
steadler
steadler is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWCarcrazy View Post
.... There were over 200 Auras on my local Saturn dealers lot, and only 2 Malibus at the Chevy dealer. .
Malibu vs aura

I live in Montreal.
For the same price,on a 4cyl. a Malibu gets stabilitrak and convenience pack.
How in the world are they going to sell the Aura ?
It's basicly the same car..... No wonder why they sell more Malibu's

Malibu
VIN: ******
Stock Number:
Exterior Colour: Golden Pewter Met
Interior Colour: Ebony Sheer Suede Interior
Engine: 2.4l 164 Hp L4 Dohc Vvt
Transmission: 4-speed Automatic Transmission
Option Package: Preferred Equipment Package
Options:

* Front Bucket Seats With Seatback Pockets
* 6-way Power Driver Seat Adjuster
* Remote Vehicle Start
* Window, Express Up/down Driver
* Body Colour-body Side Mouldings
* Electrochromic Inside Rearview With Compass
* Stabilitrak
* Power Adjustable Pedals
* Engine Block Heater
* Driver And Passenger Front Heated Seats
* Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
* P225/50r X 17" All Season Tire
* Billing Credit For Gmcl/ipc
* Rear Reading Lamps
* Universal Home Remote
* Leather Wrapped Shift Knob
* Preliminary Invoice

$27,555.00

Aura
VIN: ****
Stock Number:
Exterior Colour: Bronzed Pewter
Interior Colour: Ebony Light Neutral Cloth Interior
Options:

* 8-way Power Driver Seat
* Lock Control, Entry Remote, Keyless Entry, Start
* Interior Trim Accents - Burnt Harvest Burl
* 17" X 7" 5-spoke Sterling Silver Painted Wheel
* 17" X 7" 5-spoke Fascia Chrome Wheel
* Steering Wheel Radio Control, Accessory

$27,145.00

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steadler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steadler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
steadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:04 AM   #28
lbhskier37
lbhskier37 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadler View Post
Malibu vs aura

I live in Montreal.
For the same price,on a 4cyl. a Malibu gets stabilitrak and convenience pack.
How in the world are they going to sell the Aura ?
It's basicly the same car..... No wonder why they sell more Malibu's

Malibu
VIN: ******
Stock Number:
Exterior Colour: Golden Pewter Met
Interior Colour: Ebony Sheer Suede Interior
Options:

* 6-way Power Driver Seat Adjuster
* Remote Vehicle Start
* Window, Express Up/down Driver
* Body Colour-body Side Mouldings
* Electrochromic Inside Rearview With Compass
* Stabilitrak
* Engine Block Heater
* Driver And Passenger Front Heated Seats
* P225/50r X 17" All Season Tire
* Rear Reading Lamps
* Universal Home Remote
* Preliminary Invoice

$27,555.00

Aura
VIN: ****
Stock Number:
Exterior Colour: Bronzed Pewter
Interior Colour: Ebony Light Neutral Cloth Interior
Options:

* 8-way Power Driver Seat
* Lock Control, Entry Remote, Keyless Entry, Start
* Interior Trim Accents - Burnt Harvest Burl
* 17" X 7" 5-spoke Sterling Silver Painted Wheel
* 17" X 7" 5-spoke Fascia Chrome Wheel
* Steering Wheel Radio Control, Accessory

$27,145.00
Canada seems to get hosed by all the car companies. In the US an Aura is cheaper than a similarly equiped Malibu because you can usually get cash back on the Aura. I was reading the VW forums that a new Jetta costs $8,000 more in Canada for the same equipment as it does in the US. You Canucks need to boycot Canadian dealers and jump the boarder to buy cars until the car companies stop trying to screw you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lbhskier37's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lbhskier37 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lbhskier37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:08 AM   #29
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbhskier37 View Post
Canada seems to get hosed by all the car companies. In the US an Aura is cheaper than a similarly equiped Malibu because you can usually get cash back on the Aura. I was reading the VW forums that a new Jetta costs $8,000 more in Canada for the same equipment as it does in the US. You Canucks need to boycot Canadian dealers and jump the boarder to buy cars until the car companies stop trying to screw you.

Yes, agreed.

Also, a local dealer advertises heavily that their new and used vehicles are also on sale to Canadian Customers, we are somewhat close to the border.

Everyone should come here, and take advantage of our incentives and the dealers large inventory.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:52 AM   #30
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Considering the new tooling is sitting there waiting to go on the line, I doubt money was the hold up. Rumor has it, they are waiting for certification of the HCCI system.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:07 AM   #31
VWCarcrazy
Advanced Member
VWCarcrazy is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

As I stated, the Aura was over $4000 less than the similarly equiped Malibu. This is primarily due to the $2500 rebate on the Aura, and my qualifying for the GM X-Plan (able to buy at GM partner invoice). Plus the dealer gave me high book for my trade-in. They obviously want the 2008 Aura's sold. The Malibu is in short supply, due primarily to slow pipeline ramp-up and ample advertising for the Malibu (and the Car of the Year award). The dealers are selling at invoice and the car does not qualify for the X-Plan currently (limited availability vehicle). Now, let me see, would I pay $4000 for Stabilitrak? No! The only positive for the Malibu was the ability to get a black cloth interior, also not a reason to spend the extra money. Comparibles:
2008 Aura: Sticker $20,695. Purchase price (without trade) $17,281
2008 Malibu: Sticker $22,125. Dealer offer (without trade) $22,225 and a comment - "These are in such short supply, just be glad we're not charging extra over sticker". Price difference (taking out the $440 convenience OPTION package on the Malibu, NOTE the Malibu @ $21,835 has a higher base price than the Aura @ $20,695 ): $4504.
No contest! Winner and still champ - AURA!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VWCarcrazy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VWCarcrazy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VWCarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:31 AM   #32
dishdude
dishdude is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I found the same thing when I was looking VWCarcrazy. Plus I think the styling on the Aura is a lot nicer than the Malibu. There are a few interior details that I wish the Aura had, such as the dash top bin, the lighted gear indicators on the center console, and the green instrument lighting. But, I love my Aura and know I made the right choice!

2008 Saturn Aura XE I-4 Techno Gray

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dishdude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dishdude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dishdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #33
steadler
steadler is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotIonDrvr89 View Post
Yes, agreed.

Also, a local dealer advertises heavily that their new and used vehicles are also on sale to Canadian Customers, we are somewhat close to the border.

Everyone should come here, and take advantage of our incentives and the dealers large inventory.
BTW it's not only cars that are higher for no reason ( C$ being almost par).

Importing can be complicated because they have to be on a cnd DOT approved list otherwise they won't issue plates so you can't drive them.

Some canadians got caught with this issue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steadler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steadler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
steadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:50 AM   #34
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn_69 View Post
Considering the new tooling is sitting there waiting to go on the line, I doubt money was the hold up. Rumor has it, they are waiting for certification of the HCCI system.
Purchasing the equipment is just half the cost. The installation training and setup cost the rest of the investment. The equipment just doesn't jump into place and produce Insignia's...

Like I said GM is in "ratchet down mode". Everything stops and they will re-evaluate everything. Stop all expenditures and plug the holes. Then when things look better, go forward with all projects that are guaranteed to make money.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:40 PM   #35
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadler View Post
BTW it's not only cars that are higher for no reason ( C$ being almost par).

Importing can be complicated because they have to be on a cnd DOT approved list otherwise they won't issue plates so you can't drive them.

Some canadians got caught with this issue
So it's not very cost effective?

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #36
cverstij
cverstij is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2008 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Purchasing the equipment is just half the cost. The installation training and setup cost the rest of the investment. The equipment just doesn't jump into place and produce Insignia's...

Like I said GM is in "ratchet down mode". Everything stops and they will re-evaluate everything. Stop all expenditures and plug the holes. Then when things look better, go forward with all projects that are guaranteed to make money.
You took the words right out of my mouth.....thank you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cverstij's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cverstij reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cverstij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:29 PM   #37
Chevy_Rules
Chevy_Rules is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:

The equipment will be installed no matter what. But, it doesn't have to be building the Aura. It can build the new LaCrosse. So it is a moot point that since the equipment is there, the Aura is going to be built no matter what. The equipment can build any Epsilon II car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chevy_Rules's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chevy_Rules reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chevy_Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:58 PM   #38
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cverstij View Post
You cannot tell me that their financial situation had absolutely NOTHING to do with the suspension.
Sure I can...I may not be correct, but I can tell you anything I want to.

The stamps and dies for the body panels are completed and awaiting fitting to the line. I don't think they'd just trash millions of dollars of stamping equipment, and I simply expressed doubt as to money being the reason it was halted. I didn't say it wasn't money, just that I think it was something else. There is no need to prove me wrong, I am merely posing another line of reason.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-30-2008, 03:03 PM   #39
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_Rules View Post
The equipment will be installed no matter what. But, it doesn't have to be building the Aura. It can build the new LaCrosse. So it is a moot point that since the equipment is there, the Aura is going to be built no matter what. The equipment can build any Epsilon II car.
The line can produce the Lacrosse, but the stamps and dies cannot. I think they are holding off on the Aura to release the new LaCrosse first.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-30-2008, 03:29 PM   #40
lbhskier37
lbhskier37 is on a distinguished road

I'm still thinking its being delayed to announce some new powerplant with it, hybrid, HCCI, or diesel. CNN is reporting that congress is talking about moving the CAFE standard increase to 35mpg up to 2015 instead of 2020. If that happens GM is going to need to do something fast. As it is right now GM looks like the bad guy in the whole fuel economy game and announcing real class leading fuel economy in a real affordable production vehicle would probably go very far to get their stock price back up. Right now the only thing they have announced for the near future is a Volt, and if anyone thinks it will be affordable for the average american before the middle of next decade, they are dreaming. An HCCI, diesel, or real hybrid Aura would be something GM could pull off in a hurry and really be affordable, I am still betting it will be diesel because the powerplants are already developed and proven in europe an only need tuning for emissions to be sold here, whereas HCCI is totally new and unproven and a full hybrid would be more expensive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lbhskier37's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lbhskier37 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lbhskier37 is offline   Reply With Quote