SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2007, 10:15 PM   #101
DeMAN
Advanced Member
DeMAN is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Default Re: Drove a Camry today

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp326 View Post
Either way, the G8 is the successor to both the Bonneville and the Grand Prix, both of which offer/offered V8s, so it's only the nameplates being discontinued. It's not the price, it's the product.
I hope you are right. I still don't see anyone paying $30k for the G8 for the reasons mentioned above + residual value. Yes, people like to know that a car of $30k-$40k range will hold some type of value.

The V6 was suppose to cost around $25k. Now I'm reading the the G8 GT will be under $35k. Thats lots of wiggle room.

I'm liking what I see in the G8, but there will still be people that asked if its the new GrandAm. Thats what people remember about Pontiac, not the cute little Solstice.

The Solstice is only outselling the Sky by a little over 2k cars, even though Pontiac has > twice the dealers

DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2007, 11:35 PM   #102
c152driver
c152driver is on a distinguished road

I test drove a Camry Hybrid yesterday. I'm considering it along with the Aura, which I test drove a couple of weeks ago.

I've never owned an import before. I also think this might have been the first time I've ever driven a Toyota.

I can kind of see why GM has been losing ground.

First, I was really impressed with the Aura XR I test drove. Comparing the Aura to a conventional Camry, the Aura would win, hands down. I like the styling of the Aura better. To me it has way more "personality" than a Camry. A Camry to me is the ultimate vanilla generic car.

However, the hybrid is a very compelling option to me. That's why I chose to test drive the hybrid Camry. The Aura XR would be a step down in gas mileage from my V6 Olds Alero. After driving the hybrid Camry, a conventional drivetrain seems somewhat dated to me. While it wasn't super peppy and the ride wasn't nearly as sporty as the Aura, I found the interior to be very pleasant and could see myself driving it every day. Plus, here in Colorado, the federal and state tax credits on the Camry hybrid add up to almost $3000. The Aura Greenline isn't eligible for these credits. GM, to me, really seems to be making a half-hearted attempt with their hybrids. With gas prices where they are, and where I expect them to be into the future, the 40/38 rating of the hybrid Camry is very compelling.

So for me, it seems to be boiling down to the stylish, fun to drive Aura, or the more environmentally friendly, albeit somewhat bland (in handling and looks) Camry hybrid.

Tough call.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to c152driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help c152driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
c152driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:18 AM   #103
ShorelineGL
ShorelineGL is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA Green Line
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by c152driver View Post
Plus, here in Colorado, the federal and state tax credits on the Camry hybrid add up to almost $3000. The Aura Greenline isn't eligible for these credits.
For the record the Aura Greenline DOES qualify for the Federal credit. I don't know anything about Colorado's tax law, but the Federal credit for the Aura Greenline is $1300 and you would be eligible for it anywhere in the US.

I am a very happy Aura Greenline owner in Washington state.

I was very impressed by the Camry Hybrid by the way. It is a true dual mode hybrid, as opposed to the Aura GL. I decided I wasn't prepared to go quite that far $$$$ wise, but it was an impressive car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShorelineGL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShorelineGL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShorelineGL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:52 AM   #104
c152driver
c152driver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShorelineGL View Post
For the record the Aura Greenline DOES qualify for the Federal credit. I don't know anything about Colorado's tax law, but the Federal credit for the Aura Greenline is $1300 and you would be eligible for it anywhere in the US.
Thanks for clarifying that. I must have been looking at an old web page. The documentation I found for the Colorado tax credits specifically excludes "mild" hybrid systems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to c152driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help c152driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
c152driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:11 PM   #105
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by piney View Post
I'd counter with: If you keep a car more than 4 years you are cheap and should make better money so as to afford to swap out of cars.
If I had more money I'd just buy a nicer car.
My current Saturn is the first car I've ever owned that had less than 75K miles when I bought it.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:16 PM   #106
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMAN View Post

I know all of this. The G8 just may have the problem of being a Pontiac. People are not going to go running to a $30k Pontiac. You would have thought GM learned from thr GTO. I Will blame the Dealers on the GTO instead of GM. They were greedy asking people for well over sticker. Results, GM had trouble moving 25k GTO's over a two year period
The G8 is a 4 door so it should do better. There isn't going to be that many G8s anyway.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:30 PM   #107
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMAN View Post
I'm liking what I see in the G8, but there will still be people that asked if its the new GrandAm.
Nah, people will be asking if it's the new Grand PRIX! They already asked if the G6 is the new Grand Am and why they just didn't call the G5 the Sunfire.

I concur with the other points in your post, though.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:41 AM   #108
likeneverbefore
likeneverbefore will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR898SL2 View Post
Nah, people will be asking if it's the new Grand PRIX! They already asked if the G6 is the new Grand Am and why they just didn't call the G5 the Sunfire.

I concur with the other points in your post, though.

at least ppl don't ask if the Aura is the new L series

Saturn Sales Counsulant, Saturn Of The Lehigh Valley

QUOTE saturncanuck
Are you buying a car or a discount?

In a month, you're not gonna look in your driveway and say, "Check out my discount."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to likeneverbefore's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help likeneverbefore reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
likeneverbefore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:04 PM   #109
sixsigma
sixsigma is on a distinguished road

What is an L series?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sixsigma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sixsigma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sixsigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:12 PM   #110
likeneverbefore
likeneverbefore will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsigma View Post
What is an L series?
My point exactly

Saturn Sales Counsulant, Saturn Of The Lehigh Valley

QUOTE saturncanuck
Are you buying a car or a discount?

In a month, you're not gonna look in your driveway and say, "Check out my discount."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to likeneverbefore's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help likeneverbefore reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
likeneverbefore is offline   Reply With Quote