SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2006, 01:16 PM   #81
chrisl0
chrisl0 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Aura Has Unexpected Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrgION03
True. Hopefully the Edge pricing will come down a bit though...it seems pretty high for a 5 passenger domestic suv. I think the base price is higher than the Honda Pilot's, which comes with 3 rows of seating.

I know it's supposed to be "upscale", but Ford and upscale don't mesh well. No one will cross shop an Edge with a Lexus RX330, etc...
I did the same with the Lincoln and I got sticker shock with the pice being over $50k. I think the Edge shouldn't cost more than $32k fully loaded and the Lincoln no more than $43k.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chrisl0's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chrisl0 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chrisl0 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2006, 09:44 PM   #82
CptMatt
CptMatt is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdp326
That was only estimated, possible prices. They did that to gauge how people reacted to different prices--they weren't the actual prices. Ford will take what they learned from the build your own exercise to set actual prices closer to when the car comes out.
Ford did the same thing with the Fusion and, according to an Automotive News article back then, they garnered a LOT of helpful information. The estimated prices, because of the feedback of this pre-build-your-own, became the actual prices. Ford has made use of the "possible future options" input in announcing new options for the 2007 model year.
Its because of that, that the Fusion/Milan/Zephyr has been the one bright spot in the Ford lineup.

GM is blowing a very big portal for vehicle input with their current Internet policy. But then again, over the years, GM has a rep for focus-grouping cars to death, rather then getting honest input from the Average Joe on the street.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CptMatt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CptMatt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CptMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:43 PM   #83
kilcher
Advanced Member
kilcher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl0
Well let me use a example. I went to the Ford website to build a Edge (fully loaded cost $36k) anyway its not suppose to come out for months and months but they know the price and let you see what it offers and how much it will cost you. They even had a "Future Options" list to gauge what people would like to see in later models. I liked that I could get all that information and early. GM I don't see why they can't do the same? Many others do it but they refuse.
I'm not saying this applies to you but a lot of people get pissy if anything changes. What if they build their car online and when it's released the same car ends up costing $2000 more? Or what if they have their heart set on a certain color but when it's released that color is no longer available?

I can understand why companies are reluctant to release information that may change between now and the date the product becomes available.

However, all of the information for the Aura should be online Monday and if it's not then I would agree, GM/Saturn has to get it together.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kilcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kilcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kilcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:34 PM   #84
chrisl0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilcher
I'm not saying this applies to you but a lot of people get pissy if anything changes. What if they build their car online and when it's released the same car ends up costing $2000 more? Or what if they have their heart set on a certain color but when it's released that color is no longer available?

I can understand why companies are reluctant to release information that may change between now and the date the product becomes available.

However, all of the information for the Aura should be online Monday and if it's not then I would agree, GM/Saturn has to get it together.
I agree with that, so why can't they just put a disclaimer on it that says this information can change between now and the time the vehicle is released?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help chrisl0 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-21-2006, 09:39 PM   #85
CptMatt

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
I agree with that, so why can't they just put a disclaimer on it that says this information can change between now and the time the vehicle is released?
Like Ford did on the Fusion and has on the Edge sites.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help CptMatt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-22-2006, 08:32 AM   #86
chrisl0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptMatt
Like Ford did on the Fusion and has on the Edge sites.
Yea and I am fine with that. I just want the option to build the vehicle and as long as I see the disclaimer I am ok with the price or options changing somewhat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2006, 07:35 PM   #87
kilcher
Advanced Member
kilcher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You obviously give people more credit than I do. For most people that's not enough. If they even bother to read it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kilcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kilcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kilcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:11 PM   #88
chrisl0

Quote:
You obviously give people more credit than I do. For most people that's not enough. If they even bother to read it.
Well I am so desperate for information that at that time it doesn't bother me as much as others.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-23-2006, 03:04 AM   #89
Privix
Privix is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:

I'm sorry, BIMO, from the side prfile it reminds me of the L Series with the nose stretched with a glimps of Mercedes thrown in... From the back it looks like a Corolla... That is what I see... However, it looks clean and has a clean interior... Now to see the finished product....

"I'd like to thank my parents for making this night possible. And my children for making it necessary."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Privix's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Privix reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Privix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:59 AM   #90
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04AWDV6VUE
RWD, V-8 Power, American Style, Road Presence. They are such simple things, but I guess they are too simple for GM and Ford to get. The LX family of cars are amazingly solid, powerful cars.
Thanks Mr Marketing Guy. Now explain why Chrysler made cars that I can't see out of because the windows are so small. Or why the Ford Five Hundred and Chevrolet Impala have more interior room and trunk space.
Road presence?

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:01 PM   #91
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
But then again, over the years, GM has a rep for focus-grouping cars to death, rather then getting honest input from the Average Joe on the street.
Aren't focus groups honest input from the average Joe on the street?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-23-2006, 01:24 PM   #92
mmg
mmg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky
Aren't focus groups honest input from the average Joe on the street?
Honestly though... who has time to participate in a focus group? students, the unemployed, retired people, stay-at-home moms... People that go to offices/jobs typically don't have time to sit in on a focus group and ironically, they're the ones that should be focused on...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mmg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mmg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:59 PM   #93
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmg
Honestly though... who has time to participate in a focus group? students, the unemployed, retired people, stay-at-home moms... People that go to offices/jobs typically don't have time to sit in on a focus group and ironically, they're the ones that should be focused on...
My sister has run focus groups and she usually gets people that would be customers of the product. In her case it was housing. She ran a lot of them on weekends and nights to get the day workers.
Stay at home moms are a great focus group for cars.
If anything GM may not focus group enough. GM cars seem to be designed without talking to potential customers at all. The ION is a nice car to drive but some of the design cues a lot of people don't like.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-24-2006, 10:25 PM   #94
CptMatt

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
It's 7/24, do you know where your Aura website is?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-24-2006, 10:35 PM   #95
CptMatt

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky
My sister has run focus groups and she usually gets people that would be customers of the product. In her case it was housing. She ran a lot of them on weekends and nights to get the day workers.
Stay at home moms are a great focus group for cars.
If anything GM may not focus group enough. GM cars seem to be designed without talking to potential customers at all. The ION is a nice car to drive but some of the design cues a lot of people don't like.
You're talking apples 'n oranges.

GM's reputation has been that they run cars through so many focus groups, that the cars come out bland and uninspiring. They try to make the car fit to everyone who looks at it rather then its target audience.
Personally, I wouldn't want a sport sedan that meets the approval of a "stay at home" mom. Most of the ones I've known can barely drive the minivan they own. Personally, I don't need 10 cupholders in a 4 door sedan.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-28-2006, 09:41 AM   #96
cdp326
Master Member
cdp326 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrgION03
Ok, forget all your numbers and hours of research that I'm not gonna read.
All it consists of are the sales numbers that back up the point that the LX cars outsell Ford's full-sizers.

Quote:
The LX cars are "popular", as in, they have put Chrysler on the map again, got people's attention, caused other automakers to raise their eyebrows...created a stir in the automotive world and caused people to say "wow, that's a Chrysler?"
I doubt it's as significant as you make it sound to be. Often people also say "It looks like you can't see out of that thing" too.

Quote:
Ford just gets bashed for making the Five-Hundred blander than anyone thought possible, and it only appeals to old people that would prob be buying domestic anyway, most likely a Crown Victoria or something...not much gain for Ford. It's a great car, horrible packaging.
Count the number of reviews of basic V6 model LX cars compared to the sporting V8 reviews. I guarantee you'll find more reviews of the sporting V8 models.

Quote:
That's all I meant.

And when I was referring to your "point"...I was talking about you criticizing Chrysler for the way they packaged the options/engines/etc. YOU may not like it, but apparantly the people that like the LX cars do since they STILL sell much better than the Fords that are "so much better."
There are also likely more fleet sales of the Chrysler LX cars.
What you seem to be saying is that people like to get less features for the money. People ignore the Five Hundred/Montego and get less features because of the reviews of the V8 LX cars.

It's not unusual for a car that has less features for the money to be a higher selling car. It doesn't mean people like getting less features more.

Quote:
Which car is better quality still remains a mystery. I wasn't talking about that at all.
Where did I bring quality up...?

"It's a car. We've invented the Pontiac Aztek."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdp326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdp326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cdp326 is offline   Reply With Quote