SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2019, 09:31 PM   #1
Someday
Someday is on a distinguished road

Default Seat Replacement Question

I have a 2003 Saturn L200. The driver's seat needs to be replaced. I have a manual seat, but the only seat I can find to replace it with is electric. Is the seat interchangeable (I'm not planning on using it as an electric seat, it's just the only one I can find right now)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Someday's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Someday reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Someday is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2019, 03:56 PM   #2
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: Seat Replacement Question

YES, the seat will bolt in. BUT.............Do you have this electric seat out of the donor car? If you are pulling it from a JY, you will need to bring a 12 volt power source to the JY with you. (Power drill battery works well) Under the seat, you will find a fairly large electrical connector. Disconnect it to find the important 2 wires you need to be concerned with.

You need to power up the Large Orange wire with 12 volts. The large Black wire is the ground. When this is done, the seat can be moved all the way forward using the seat controls. Seat has to be moved all the way forward to get to the back mounting bolts.

This is the first post I recall wanting to make a seat swap and not use the power seat after it's done. Those 2 wires listed above are the only 2 that are needed to control all the power seat functions. Any other wires are for the seat heater if the donor car had that option.

Any other questions just ask.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:06 PM   #3
Someday
Someday is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb6667 View Post
YES, the seat will bolt in. BUT.............Do you have this electric seat out of the donor car? If you are pulling it from a JY, you will need to bring a 12 volt power source to the JY with you. (Power drill battery works well) Under the seat, you will find a fairly large electrical connector. Disconnect it to find the important 2 wires you need to be concerned with.

You need to power up the Large Orange wire with 12 volts. The large Black wire is the ground. When this is done, the seat can be moved all the way forward using the seat controls. Seat has to be moved all the way forward to get to the back mounting bolts.

This is the first post I recall wanting to make a seat swap and not use the power seat after it's done. Those 2 wires listed above are the only 2 that are needed to control all the power seat functions. Any other wires are for the seat heater if the donor car had that option.

Any other questions just ask.
Thanks! Actually, I am having the seat shipped to me, so I don't need to worry about disassembly. I thought it would be more difficult to hook up the power seat, so I thought I'd just leave it as a manually adjusted one once I get it in the car. Sounds like it won't be much of a problem to hook up the controls. If that's the case, I'll go that route.
Thanks again for the reply.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Someday's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Someday reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Someday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:18 PM   #4
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

You will be thrilled with that power seat. I've converted 2 cars from standard seats to power seats. Big improvement. Biggest advantage: the power seat raises you up quite a bit more than the standard seat.

That electrical connector mentioned under the seat is pre-wired from the factory for power seats regardless if that was an option on your car.

You should find full time power present on that large orange wire. It's a fused power feed from the passenger side kick panel fuse box.

Let us know how we can help if you run into any issues.

2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 2.2
2004 L-Series Wagon 3.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:11 PM   #5
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Another plus of the electric seat is that they come with the heated seat elements in them.

All you need to enjoy them is either buy new switches OR get a couple from the JY. Those switches just go on the front console where the Emergency flasher switch is. You remove that console, remove the blank switches and clip the new ones in. Not quite as easy as I just said, but removing the blank switches will involve using pick tools or mall screwdrivers to release the clips that hold them in.

As said earlier, the wiring loom on the L series covers all the options, so you can add extra on to it that were not originally fitted. All just plug & play.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote