SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2019, 05:34 PM   #21
Designie
Designie is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line
Default Re: 06 Redline will not run/idle while cold

Well I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. I have the sensor out, and I do not get any resistance between any of the 6 contacts on the switch. I started with 1 & 2, 1 & 6 then 2 & 6. Nothing. Then touched every combination of 2 contacts. Should I be seeing some resistance reading?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Designie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Designie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Designie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2019, 06:02 PM   #22
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Yes, there should be some resistance between 1&6, 1&2, 2&6. Whenever using a multimeter for resistance measurement, there are at least two resistance ranges to select from. I usually touch both probes together and expect 0.00 or 000 on the display - a short circuit with zero resistance. Most meters I use show a tiny bit of resistance from metal probes, 0.002. This is acceptable. Testing resistance function by touching probes together and seeing a displayed reading ensures the multimeter is working. This might described as a baseline test. Then measuring a sensor is next. Keep in mind - crank sensors should measure in hundreds of ohms so the higher value resistance function should be selected on multimeters. Good multimeters will display 'ERR' or something similar if the selected range is incorrect.

Test the other sensor as each sensor should have at least one resistance value, ideally three. If no resistance is measured, this implies open circuits and would correlate with no engine run with a cold engine yet somehow work just enough to get the engine to run until it warms up(?). An open circuit/zero resistance means the sensor(s) is/are broken, internal circuits failed. If this is the case, replace it. If you like, rap it against the bench a few times and measure. Immerse it boiling water and measure. Cold, heat and vibration are the normal environment crank sensors operate in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:05 PM   #23
Designie

2006 VUE Red Line

So I checked resistances, I was able to get a reading on all three circuits of each of the 2 sensors. It was really difficult to get it to read some of the contacts. It also seemed to make a difference which probe was on which contact. I thought resistance didn't matter which pin you had red on and which one you had black on.
So the readings were all pretty similar with the switch cold, except pins 1 & 2. The other combos were .68-.75 megaohms and 1 & 2 was 30. Then I submerged the sensor in boiling water and the readings fluctuated pretty wildly. So I'm not too confident in my measuring, but it definitely was reading something.

Voltage at the plug on the car was good on both circuits. 4.7v and 11.85v on both.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Designie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-07-2019, 08:47 PM   #24
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Try measuring this sensor again. Leave it in the ice box, terminals facing up in a cup or soup can of water until frozen for an hour or so and measure resistance. Freezing cold, desert heat and engine vibration shouldn't affect resistance much with a slight variance. Be sure terminals are clean and free of conductive fluids like dirty oil. If resistances very greatly from freezing cold to boiling water, replace it. This isn't an inexpensive part. Rockauto lists a GM replacement at $125. All others are much higher.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-23-2019, 11:24 AM   #25
Designie

2006 VUE Red Line

Well after about as much testing as I could do with a meter, I cannot point to anything abnormal because really the readings for resistance are strange. I have had the sensor out of the car for a couple weeks. I've had the plug tucked up under the car to try and dry it out if maybe water of something was in there.

I reinstalled the sensor again yesterday, and no change. It ran horribly and I kept restarting it and keeping it running until temp was up. Once operating temp was up to normal, of course then it runs perfect.

I am stuck trying the old "Buy a new part and try it" road. Crazy how it would just happen to go bad at the exact time I changed the water pump. It's just so beyond coincidental.

I will report back when I try the new sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-23-2019, 02:28 PM   #26
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Part failure occurs in several ways. Random failure, failure while driving, failure after letting a vehicle sit overnight or after several days, weeks or months, etc. This isn't to make you feel better but my fuel pump died one state away from home with family on board. Another family member was called to meet us to bring us home. The next day was spent haggling with the tow company refusal to tow my car when insurance authorized the tow. Towed to my choice of garage and new pump went in. Another occasion was driving home from work when my crank sensor promptly died on a three lane highway. Coasted across three lanes to a nearby exit to a grassy area off the exit road and called a family member for help. As I waited, I tested the crank sensor (the tach died as one indication of a dead sensor while at highway speed (65 mph?) and measured incorrect resistance (much higher than expected). About 30-45 minutes later help arrived and I measured the sensor again with a better reading, started up (engine cooled down a bit) drove on local streets when the engine died again, coasting into a perfect parking spot. Returned later with a new crank sensor and drove home. Mechanical and electrical parts fail in their own time regardless of when or where.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2019, 08:30 AM   #27
Designie

2006 VUE Red Line

So being very busy, I was not able to purchase the new sensor and get ti installed until now. And unfortunately, there is no change. The engine still runs like complete crap right up to the point that it reaches operating temp, then runs perfect.

I'm thinking I will try the coolant temp sensor next, pretty easy and inexpensive change out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2019, 06:11 PM   #28
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'm puzzled by zero change after replacing the crank sensor. I'm at a standstill, unable to think of the possibilities of this strange problem. Before throwing another part on the Vue, can you get hold of a reader? They're very handy with all the electronics, sensors and multitude of error codes to turn anyone around in circles. If you suspect the coolant sensor, the best way to check it is with a reader displaying before startup/cold engine temperature and after a full warmup. The cold engine temperature, preferably overnight, should show on a reader temps within a few degrees of ambient temperatures. The engine mass cooling off overnight should reflect the same coolant temperature as ambient temperature in your area. This is the baseline reference to go by with any vehicle temperature sensor using a cold engine and outside temperature for comparison.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-09-2019, 03:17 AM   #29
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Are you sure the timing belt was set correctly? Maybe you’re a tooth off.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:22 PM   #30
Designie

2006 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
Are you sure the timing belt was set correctly? Maybe you’re a tooth off.

-Robert
I suppose it's possible that it could be off. It would surprise me that it would run perfect after warm up though. It would seem that it would run bad continuously then. I will get it to TDC and recheck the timing marks though.

I don't have access to a reader. I can ask around and see if perhaps I can come up with one. Not sure if that's part of the loan a tool program at auto parts stores?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-10-2019, 11:01 PM   #31
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designie View Post
I suppose it's possible that it could be off. It would surprise me that it would run perfect after warm up though. It would seem that it would run bad continuously then. I will get it to TDC and recheck the timing marks though.

I don't have access to a reader. I can ask around and see if perhaps I can come up with one. Not sure if that's part of the loan a tool program at auto parts stores?
As if water is not muddy enough - I'll stir the pot.

What if you have loose or broken wire at CKP? I've attached diagram if you have meter and time to run wires back to PCM.

I've attached description for DTC P0336 (is this code still active)?

I've also attached extract explaining cold engine start ... key ingredients are ECT and IAT (two IAT's are used - one in air filter box - next to PCM and the other is near throttle body).

And finally a file for hard start (ECT and CKP and other possibilities).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen_2019-07-10 21.45.47.jpg (92.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg screen_2019-07-10 21.54.12.jpg (169.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 3.5 Hard Start.jpg (186.3 KB, 3 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DTC P0336.pdf (29.6 KB, 2 views)

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

Last edited by far2grumpy; 07-10-2019 at 11:07 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:58 AM   #32
Designie

2006 VUE Red Line

far2grumpy, you have been a tremendous help, I appreciate all of your information.

Unfortunately, things are going from bad to worse. I was about to start looking at the ECT sensor and the air temp sensor, I attempted to start the car to see if it would run, and of course it would not run very well. After about 4 times starting the car, I turned the key and....nothing. No click, no crank, nothing. I put the battery on the charger and even after it was fully charged, the key will do nothing. So possibly the starter decided to just now take a crap???

So that could be it for this vehicle. It is a sad case because it was my daily driver literally until I changed the leaking water pump. I just don't have the time to get to it, and now I'm just chasing issues on top of issues. Might be time to just give 'er up.

I really wanted to just sell it once I fixed the water pump to someone who could use a decent, cheap car. Now might have to give it away as a project or scrap. Kinda sucks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-12-2019, 11:28 AM   #33
Designie

2006 VUE Red Line

So I jumped across the starter solenoid terminals from the positive battery cable to the smaller wire with the nut that was under a rubber boot. I assume that should crank the starter?

I hear a click, but the starter does not turn. So I am assuming the starter did in fact go bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!