SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
irish56
Advanced Member
irish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really niceirish56 is just really nice

1999 SC1
Default GM had nearly $600,000,000 for soccer sponsorship...

...but no money to keep Saturn alive. And now they're abandoning that $600M marketing "investment"...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...e/#more-671698

That's just sad.

'95 SL1 auto (RIP)
'98 SL2 5sp (RIP)
'01 SL2 auto (RIP)
'99 SC1 auto (Mom's...keeps on truckin')

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to irish56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help irish56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
irish56 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
mike08vue
mike08vue is on a distinguished road

Default Re: GM had nearly $600,000,000 for soccer sponsorship...

And that's another reason I will stay clear of GM from now on. It seems Chevrolet management couldn't wait to get the best Saturns for their lineup. The got the Aura platform for the Malibu first and now there is suddenly a lot of Captivas (Vue) on the road. I know that it is supposed to be a fleet vehicle, but in central Ky. where I live, many are showing up that were late model used car purchases. I remember when I got one of the first Vue's around here, a 2004 and later the new style 2008, people would ask me why I didn't get a Chevy or Ford. No one around here liked them mainly because they weren't one of the " big 3 brands" Ford Chevy, or Dodge. Now, some of the same people drive the Chevy Captiva and love it. When I tell them it is basically a rebadged Saturn Vue, they look at me with disbelief and assure me that its no Saturn. Amazing!

2008 Vue RL--traded
2011 Volvo C30--mine
2011 Volvo XC60-wife's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike08vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike08vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mike08vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike08vue View Post
When I tell them it is basically a rebadged Saturn Vue, they look at me with disbelief and assure me that its no Saturn.
Isn't the Cadillac SRX a rebadged 2nd Gen VUE?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

While I might not avoid GM for my next vehicle - whenever that may happen - I agree that Chevrolet was after the best of Saturn. (You're certainly right about the Captiva being a re-badged Vue.) When I first saw the '08 Malibu cars I was dumbfounded by their near resemblance to the Saturn Aura. I asked myself, "What's the point of having these two cars competing against each other?" Years ago I was told that Chevrolet was the entry way brand into the GM family of cars. Saturn took part of that away from Chevrolet, but Chevrolet continued to have the same role to play within the corporate structure. With those two divisions - and even Pontiac to some degree - competing against each other none were well served. Indeed, each were harmed.

It seems to me that either Saturn Corp., or GM, or both, had never looked deeply into what the future might hold for the company after several years of reliance upon two basic car lines, the SC and SL. No car maker has survived with such a lack of foresight. Once the S Series had run it's course it appears that GM had no real use for Saturn anymore as it was merely being stocked with re-badged vehicles from other GM divisions. Since it's new line up of passenger cars were related to Opel brand products they looked different from their American counterparts. In so doing they could maintain a fictional Saturn identity, but in reality Saturn was no longer "a different kind of car company." One thing that remained different, however, was the customer experience - I continued to find my experiences at Saturn dealerships much more pleasant than at other GM facilities.

325,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
mike08vue
mike08vue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
Isn't the Cadillac SRX a rebadged 2nd Gen VUE?
The SRX is based on the Vue spaceframe, but shares few parts with it. The Captiva uses the same body panels and interior parts as well as most of the mechanical components. For all practical purposes, the Captiva is a Vue with Chevy badges.

2008 Vue RL--traded
2011 Volvo C30--mine
2011 Volvo XC60-wife's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike08vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike08vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mike08vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:55 PM   #6
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

It is sad, irish56. And Chevy's ambitious plan to go global would have affected Opel/Vauxhall/Holden abroad the same way it affected Pontiac and Saturn here. While I am no fan of articles from TTAC, it's evident "old GM" style thinking is still alive and well post bankruptcy.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:00 PM   #7
Nightman
Nightman is on a distinguished road

Like everything else that could have helped the US auto industry, GM sabotaged Saturn, if they had stayed to the priciples of the SL models, they might be competing with the Japaneese today. Instead the last Saturns were just rebadged Opels. I heard someone from Chrylser designed brakes that lasted 90,000 miles and they fired him.

I got a new Corolla and it has been the most trouble free car I've had. I had to take my 1993 SL 2 back to the dealer after 3 days because the ABS light stayed on and they gave me a rental while it was fixed.

After Saturn, I gave up hope that the big 3 could build a long lasting, trouble free car and went with Toyota. The only way to build a quality car in the US is to have Honda or Toyota build a plant and hire non UAW workers to build it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nightman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nightman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nightman is offline   Reply With Quote