SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
midway
midway is a jewel in the roughmidway is a jewel in the roughmidway is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default SAAB Bankrupt

According to NADA SAAB has filed for bankruptcy, liquidation is the actual term associated with the filing. I wonder how this will affect us that own Saturns with SAAB engines and maybe other components. Is there an aftermarket source that will be able to step in and supply parts that we will need. Just thinking out loud here. I feel that there will be some aftermarket source for parts, just not sure, so many of the parts I have needed were dealer only, not in the aftermarket.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to midway's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help midway reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
midway is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: SAAB Bankrupt

Given that most Saabs as of late are ripoffs of other G.M. vehicles, I'd say your Saturn (or anything else for that matter) which has Saab parts will be fine.

As for 70s 80s and 90s Saabs before G.M. had to corrupt it up, it's a possibility.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
Werks11
Werks11 is on a distinguished road

I think we knew that a couple years ago ....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Werks11's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Werks11 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Werks11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

While its parent company has all but declared bankruptcy protection, Saab's North American distribution arm is not following suit, at least not voluntarily.

They have instead turned to a third party administrator to handle all creditors, basically buying time. Saab NA could still be forced into bankruptcy proceedings or choose to join its parent company in the liquidation process on its own accord. Time will tell. Thirty days, to be exact.

Whatever transpires, the long term outlook is grim indeed as another brand prepares to become history.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:28 AM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
As for 70s 80s and 90s Saabs before G.M. had to corrupt it up, it's a possibility.
Scratch that 90s part. GM started in '89/'90. One of the things I learned while researching upgrades to a '89 900 SPG.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Bloomberg is reporting today that Mahindra is interested in buying part or all of Saab. Of course having an interest and getting the deal done are two completely different things.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...-mahindra.html

There are other interested parties as well, including a Turkish concern.

Can GM block a sale when the company is in bankruptcy?

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:44 AM   #7
emilybart
emilybart is on a distinguished road

Automobile maker Saab has had a rough couple of years. During 2009 and 2010, General Motors bankrupted and then sold the company. Now, recent proprietor Swedish Automotive is trying to complete another round of bankruptcy filings. Now, a judge has denied Saab's petition to bankruptcy protection, which means there is a very real possibility the car maker will fold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emilybart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emilybart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emilybart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
mike08vue
mike08vue is on a distinguished road

I was under the impression that SAAB had already folded. I know that dealers in the US had to declare their unsold stock (new cars) as used and sell without warranty--or offer a third party add on warranty. Officially, there are no SAAB dealers left here.

2008 Vue RL--traded
2011 Volvo C30--mine
2011 Volvo XC60-wife's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike08vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike08vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mike08vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by midway View Post
According to NADA SAAB has filed for bankruptcy, liquidation is the actual term associated with the filing. I wonder how this will affect us that own Saturns with SAAB engines and maybe other components. Is there an aftermarket source that will be able to step in and supply parts that we will need. Just thinking out loud here. I feel that there will be some aftermarket source for parts, just not sure, so many of the parts I have needed were dealer only, not in the aftermarket.
When Saturn folded, nothing changed. Parts in warehouses, distribution centers, GM dealers taking over stock from closed Saturn stores remain. What parts remain may or may not be known only to GM other entities may have bought a portion of remaining Saturn parts for cheap to reap any profits in the aftermarket supply sector. Remember, retail prices charged do not reflect the actual cost of items manufactured, just the "suggested list price" that all dealers apply for pure profit against buying the same part at "discounted" prices elsewhere while still allowing anyone else an opportunity to make some money selling the same genuine Saturn part. Its business 101.

The discontinued S-series since 2001 still show members here finding parts without too much difficulty. You may be surprised to find that "dealer only" is not true for everything. You can buy an ignition key made from Home Depot or have a genuine Saturn key made from GM; the only thing separating the two is the Saturn plastic key cover otherwise the actual key portion are the same. Both keys fit to operate the lock cylinder. There are many online aftermarket sellers stocking genuine Saturn key blanks, remotes, engine/xmission parts, etc.. All OEM unless you're interested in cost effective aftermarket parts that are comparable in quality but at a lower price. There is no such thing as using only genuine Saturn parts.

BTW, the previous posts spreading rumors about Saab folding may be nothing but rumor mongering. A simple Google search turns up more recent info about Saab restarting their factory again; http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...#axzz2jJbSojGQ. Whether this continues is still a matter of conjecture. Since GM sold Saab before filing for bankruptcy protection back in 2010, Saab floundered until it reformed itself with a new operating plan. Since GM held Saab for approximately 10 years, it can be presumed that L300 engine parts are in plentiful supply. It remains to be verified whether or not Saab stays in business.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
midway
midway is a jewel in the roughmidway is a jewel in the roughmidway is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Since I started this thread almost 2 years ago, I will say that I have had no problems finding parts, there are multiple outlets out there for parts. The aftermarket stores, Advance, AutoZone and others seem to be supplying more and more parts. Probably one of those things like what I say in the truck dealer business, other businesses make the individual parts for the oem to assemble into an engine or transmission, things like axles are usually made by and outside vendor, even switches, electric motors, most of the parts are more or less aftermarket before the oem assembles them. At this time I would say we will have most of the parts needed for quite sometime to come.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to midway's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help midway reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
midway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:16 PM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ Well said. ^

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote