SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2018, 07:12 PM   #1
93Nelson
93Nelson is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default 97 1.9 DOHC timing chain tensioner upgrade?

I did the timing chain a year ago among other things at 226k miles.
At 236k it started making noise again so I just drove it. (I went a long time before I did the chain swap)
Now at almost 257k the noise got worse at idle and I parked it. Took it back apart and found the teeth on the lock for the tensioner are gone.
Is the any upgrade or any other options then a factory one? This was the tensioner that came with the cloyes kit.

It's a last resort to put one like that back in. I can't find any performance stuff online.

Any help would be great!

Checked oil pressure and was at 65psi cold idle. I didn't want to run it long sounding like that.

Sense I'm here, what's a good oil pump to put in?

Thanks

Sport Mod racer at Nelson Boys Racing
1997 SC2--256k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 93Nelson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 93Nelson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
93Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2018, 07:50 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: 97 1.9 DOHC timing chain tensioner upgrade?

Tensioner failure is rare. Verify the movable guide is actually free to swing without binding. Oil Pump kit: MELLING K196
Tensioner: MELLING BT327

Inspect your chain, guides, sprockets for wear.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:07 PM   #3
93Nelson

1997 SC2

The guide moves free but I will replace it. Thanks for those numbers.

1997 SC2--256k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 93Nelson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2018, 10:56 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

There is something in that chain drive that is out of spec to end up tearing up the tensioner. A bad chain will do that as will worn or out of spec sprockets. Wrap the chain 180 degrees around a sprocket and pull it tight and while maintaining tension try and pull a link away from the sprocket at the 90 degree point. If is clears more than 1/2 of a tooth away from the sprocket the chain and sprocket are scrap metal. That may mean a new timing set and the price does not imply quality either. These things are all made in Asia and quality varies with the phase of the moon. You are the quality inspector.

I have a couple of these sets to install and they do look decent. The price is right as well. https://www.ebay.com/itm/91-98-Satur...kAAOxygj5SjAVA

Last edited by OldNuc; 04-07-2018 at 11:10 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-08-2018, 10:27 AM   #5
93Nelson

1997 SC2

I like the looks of that set. I probably should do it over again since I'm here. I took the chain off and the crank sprocket. The teeth on the crank sprocket are kinda sharp on some of the edges.

1997 SC2--256k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-08-2018, 03:33 PM   #6
93Nelson

1997 SC2

Should the tensioner guide have a wobble to it? I can't remember what it was when I first took it apart.

1997 SC2--256k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-08-2018, 06:18 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Swing freely about the bolt but no wobble. If any is suspect replace it all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-08-2018, 10:52 PM   #8
93Nelson

1997 SC2

That's what I thought. I ordered a new kit. Hoping it's the quide and not the bolt. Bolt looks fine.

1997 SC2--256k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-09-2018, 12:04 AM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Sometimes you have to dress up the movable guide so it actually swings free when first installed without the chain or tensioner in place. Verify that the chain actually tracks in the centered of all 3 guides. Some of the solid sprocket kits have an incorrectly formed top guide. The one I linked is a copy of the OEM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-09-2018, 10:16 PM   #10
93Nelson

1997 SC2

I ran into that problem with the kit I bought first.

1997 SC2--256k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!