SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
nmikmik
nmikmik is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2
Default Doing the radiator replacement on 98SW

I recently got this 98 (my first Saturn) from a guy that could not start it - starter was just frozen solid....
I am guessing I have a typical radiator leak from just below the top transmission line as it enters the radiator. Got to the part where I need to remove the lines & of course they are on there pretty tight. Someone "borrowed" my flair nut 13mm wrench, so I either need to find one and try again or cut the lines and replace them or put extension hoses over the cuts.
I also was thinking of installing an external transmission cooler (i already have a small one from previous nonmaterialized project) but I have a hard time finding a spot where it would go in easy and not interfere with anything else.
Any suggestions or maybe someone already done it and have a procedure for me to follow?
btw, i am guessing that transmission line is somehow vibrates a little or in some other way puts too much stress on the radiator housing, so even adding a couple of pieces of hose with clamps could be beneficial as well.

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nmikmik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nmikmik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nmikmik is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2009, 12:09 AM   #2
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: Doing the radiator replacement on 98SW

Hoses are about 20 each from the dealer. Its best if you can get them off.

Search transmission cooler and you'll see some posts By barnowl. Actually I think he wrote a how -to so check the library.

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:22 AM   #3
nmikmik

1998 SW2

thanks man,
I knew I'll find you here

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help nmikmik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2009, 11:24 AM   #4
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmikmik View Post
Any suggestions or maybe someone already done it and have a procedure for me to follow?
Right on the front of the radiator. Thats where I always put them.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 Saturn SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #5
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Take the line sout of the transmission and remove them with the radiator, then deal with them with the radiator out of the car. You don't need anything except fingertips to release the connectors on the transmission where the lines go in.

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:25 PM   #6
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
Take the line sout of the transmission and remove them with the radiator, then deal with them with the radiator out of the car. You don't need anything except fingertips to release the connectors on the transmission where the lines go in.
Then put the ends of the tranny lines (radiator side) in a vise (if you have one) and spin the radiator. This method works pretty well if you don't have the proper flare-nut wrench or if you've already rounded off the nuts. Just don't tighten them up too much in the vise or they'll end out out of round and leak.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 Saturn SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #7
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmikmik View Post
I recently got this 98 (my first Saturn) from a guy that could not start it - starter was just frozen solid....
I am guessing I have a typical radiator leak from just below the top transmission line as it enters the radiator. Got to the part where I need to remove the lines & of course they are on there pretty tight. Someone "borrowed" my flair nut 13mm wrench, so I either need to find one and try again or cut the lines and replace them or put extension hoses over the cuts.
I also was thinking of installing an external transmission cooler (i already have a small one from previous nonmaterialized project) but I have a hard time finding a spot where it would go in easy and not interfere with anything else.
btw, i am guessing that transmission line is somehow vibrates a little or in some other way puts too much stress on the radiator housing, so even adding a couple of pieces of hose with clamps could be beneficial as well.

Thanks!
most transmission coolers come with those plastic mounts that stick right through the condensor core, & the core of the cooler itself unless you have the type that used screw to mount it. then you might have to make some brackets & bolt it up to a nearest bracket on the car. the radiator is mounted on rubber, so that might just dampen any vibration before it does any damage to the radiator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:50 PM   #8
nmikmik

1998 SW2

Thanks a lot!
I did look through the tec section - a very nice writeup. I am going to take those lines out of the tranny as you suggested and deal with them while out of the car, maybe vise grips, since i don't have the normal vice at home
If it works out fine I'll just leave it the way it is for now and come back to the external cooler later, when I have another car to drive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
nmikmik

1998 SW2

didn't make it on time for the edit, I was wondering if anyone has pointers on removing the airbox mounting bolts. I was able to remove the front bolt but two that are facing the firewall are just so rusted out that even PBlaster did not help. So what is my next option? cutting the bolts out? They are just twisting in place and loosened up a little bit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-09-2009, 04:34 PM   #10
nmikmik

1998 SW2

Alright,
I removed the airbox along with the battery tray as well.

This brings more questions then answers. I would like to clean the rust of both frame and the transmission valvebody and then paint them both.

Since I am still dealing with the slamming revers gear on my transmission, I wonder if I should take out the valve body and try to clean passages while everything is accessible. And those two sensors that's visible under the tray...

Should they be cleaned/replaced or do they matter for the reverse at all?

Thanks!
I wonder why I can not post the pics till after 15 posts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!