SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
John Head
John Head is on a distinguished road

Default new throttle body sticks (slightly)

I recently purchased/installed a new large-bore throttle body from Saturn Motor Sports. Installation was smooth, IAC and TPS reinstalled just fine. But I notice that this throttle body sticks on acceleration, especially from a standing start in first gear. Once I'm moving, it's not too bad, and some days it doesn't stick at all.
Is this a normal breaking-in procedure, or is there something I can do to adequately lubricate the valve hinge? I've tried WD-40 and 3-in-1 oil on the flange hinge. It behaves almost as though the throttle flap wedges slightly in the opening, requiring more of an accelerator pedal kick to get it to open.
Other than this, the performance is great.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John Head's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John Head reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John Head is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2008, 07:15 PM   #2
virnin
Advanced Member
virnin is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1995 SL2
Default Re: new throttle body sticks (slightly)

It might be closing a little too tightly. There is a screw (left side under the cable pulley) that you can use to adjust the "closed" position. Use very small changes because you don't want to affect the idle speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to virnin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help virnin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
virnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by virnin View Post
It might be closing a little too tightly. There is a screw (left side under the cable pulley) that you can use to adjust the "closed" position. Use very small changes because you don't want to affect the idle speed.
That's what it is.. I think its closing too tightly too. I had the same problem on my old Neon R/T when I changed the TB to something bigger. A few minor adjustments with the stop screw fixed the problem completely.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:04 PM   #4
John Head

Great tip, thanks guys. Can this be done with the throttle body still mounted, or should I remove it first?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help John Head reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-02-2008, 05:19 PM   #5
John Head

Dizzy Re: new throttle body sticks (slightly)

OK, I examined the set screw on the throttle body today, and noticed that it takes a hex or torx bit with a slight difference: There is a nib or pintle in the center of the idle set screw preventing a traditional hex bit from working.
Do I need to buy a special bit for this very slight adjustment? or is there a trick I'm just not getting?
Many thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-02-2008, 07:05 PM   #6
tarsun
Advanced Member
tarsun is on a distinguished road

i have the same TB as you. it did the same thing. i dont know if it loosened up over time or if i just got used to it......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tarsun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tarsun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tarsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:43 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Are these the tool bits needed to adjust the throttle stop; http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/p...f_Star_Bit_Set (don't know if yours is inch or metric)? If so, either you'll have to buy the set or possibly remove the throttle body from the engine for better access to break off the center nub or use needle nose pliers, narrow vise grip, whatever, to adjust the throttle stop this one time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:31 PM   #8
John Head

I checked the link; yeah, those look like the right bits. I'll check further into the safety of making such adjustments (I scoured the archive and found numerous entries from folks cautioning against doing anything to the idle set screw. Certainly, I don't want to do anything that causes major problems; but the accelerator sticks so firmly sometimes when I go out to start the car that I really have to punch the pedal to free the throttle plate. I don't think I should have to do that.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-02-2008, 10:35 PM   #9
tarsun
Advanced Member
tarsun is on a distinguished road

left your foot off the gass slower. dont let the thing "slam" shut

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tarsun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tarsun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tarsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:49 PM   #10
John Head

Well, that's a thought; I'm not aware of how quickly I'm releasing the throttle when I'm shifting. Generally when the car gets going, I don't notice it; it's most evident from a standing start in first gear.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-02-2008, 10:55 PM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Actually, the re-machined throttle body may be either fully closed when its not supposed to be or does need an adjustment to prevent the normal engine vacuum from sucking the throttle plate fully closed; the reason for the throttle stop screw and initial adjustment from the factory. The bypass air port is for the supplemental air that's controlled by the idle air control valve to adjust the final idle speed. Making another idle speed adjustment just requires covering the bypass port in front of the throttle plate temporarily to block off the bypass air and adjusting the idle stop screw for 500-600 rpm. Unblocking the bypass port will allow the iacv to make the final idle speed adjustment back up to 800-900 rpm automatically. Its been covered in past posts and usually the idle stop screw is never meddled with, as long as everything was the same but a modified throttle bore may require some tweaking, that's all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-02-2008, 11:00 PM   #12
John Head

It makes sense, since this is a re-machined larger throttle body. What's the best way to block the supplemental air port to the IAC during the adjustment?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-02-2008, 11:14 PM   #13
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Anything; duct tape, an elbow, thumb, umbrella, doorstop, ( ) etc., just enough to block off the airflow into the hole and interrupting the initial throttle idle speed adjustment. Just be sure that whatever you put over the hole won't get sucked into the intake.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!