SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 05-28-2019, 02:49 PM   #21
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: 2000 SL2 Valve body or actual gear?

No, the "performance" switch changes shifting points, but does not inhibit 4th.

No, there is no relay.

No, the trans temp sensor will not inhibit 4th.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2019, 03:03 PM   #22
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Yes, low TTS temp does inhibit a 1st gear start and the shift to 4th. Way below zero. Go read the manual.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:48 AM   #23
cbutterfie1206
cbutterfie1206 is on a distinguished road

After checking the TTS, it it looks fine. Took it for one last drive and noticed it will try for 4th the first time shifting up after codes are clear, but once it throws a P0734 (or whatever that incorrect 4th code is), it won't try again. Suppose that makes sense. After watching a few videos where the splines on the 4th hub were ruined, makes me wonder if thats part of it. Doesn't matter in terms of the solution, but part of me wants to swap in a new one then take this old one apart just to find out.

Thanks for all the advice! unbelievably helpful!
cbutterfie1206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:49 AM   #24
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The trans will only try once when the No Gear code sets.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:49 AM   #25
gveinot
gveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nice

2000 SL2
2000 SL2

I have owned my 2000 SL2 since new for over 19 years and have my share of fun with the famous TAAT 4 speed automatic over 465,000km. If I read this thread correctly you bought the car in this state ? My car blew its 4th gear solenoid a long time ago, first the odd clunk when shifting into 4th, then every time when going for 4th. Took it to the dealer, they said it was the 4th gear solenoid in the valve body but their policy was to change the entire valve body. He told me if we kept driving it that way we would damage the transaxle and would loose 4th gear completely, only a complete transaxle rebuild or replacement would fix it then. We drove it home in 3rd, preventing it going into 4th. Made an appointment and went back and got a new valve body. I suspect the previous owner of yours had the occasional clunk, maybe took it to a transmission shop, got a quote for big $$ to fix it, just decided to drive it until it broke, it is a 19 year old car, that is the way some people think. I also want to point out that measuring the resistance of the solenoid coils is only 1 test, please see this video. I had a nasty case of three solenoids physically coming apart that caused a very weird issue. Good luck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj9pKsT8lDg
gveinot is offline   Reply With Quote