SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2006, 06:54 PM   #1
Jldet5
Jldet5 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Installing Alarm / Remote Start

Getting ready to buy and install an UltraStart 4265 alarm/starter, DEI555LW bypass, T harness, and installation excellence manual.

Any helpful hints?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jldet5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jldet5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jldet5 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2006, 07:55 PM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Installing Alarm / Remote Start

Make sure the bypass module you are buying has TWO WIRES that connect at the IGNITION LOCK, NOT at the BCM.

The ignition lock/switch is VERY easy to access. Just drop the lower dash trim panel and the upper and lower trim pieces over/under the upper steering column.

To run wires through the firewall, go through the rubber grommet that feeds the thick red cable to the power sterring unit, but BE CAREFUL not to punture or damage the insulation on that cable itself.

All connections for the PDL's can be made at the IN CAR FUSE BOX. The relays are right there.

I am unfamiliar with the particular unit you will be installing, but the best advice I can give you is DON'T MESS WITH THE BCM! as in do not make ANY splices or connections into wires that run directly to/from the BCM. It takes very little to upset that critter, and it is VERY expensive to replace...(which will not be covered by warranty if your install is what causes the problem)

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:00 PM   #3
Jldet5

2004 VUE 3.5L

Looked at the 556LW install guide and it does indicate ignition wires.

How would I know what wires are BCM wires? Perhaps I will figure that out with the Installation Excellence manual?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jldet5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-11-2006, 03:55 AM   #4
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

The "T" harness will make the connections for the main power and ignition circuits EASY. It will essentially allow you to simply plug the alarm/remote starter unit directly into the cars ignition circuit essentially the A/RS unit will be supplying power to the car the SAME WAY the igntion switch would if the key were to be inserted and turned to "RUN". The bypass module will be relatively easy to install as well. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. If you are going to run into BCM issues, it will be when you go to hook up the PDL and on/off signal for the OEM security system. Were I you, I would consult the owner's manual for INSTRUCTIONS on how to disable the OEM security system completely (it can be done with no special tools) and making any connections for the PDLS at the PDL relays in the PCJB (In car fuse box) rather than the PCM. Most people run into problems doing these installs when they monkey around with the BCM or its wires.

The system on my Vue is an "add-on" system. It works WITH the OEM RKE unit to remote start the vehicle. (Retaining the OEM remote for the PDL's AND the OEM security system.) Basically you press UNLOCK 3 times in a row, and the car starts. Three more, or 15 minutes later, and it shuts down. (Stepping on the brake or opening the hood will also shut it down instantly) Installing it (utilizing a "T" harness) required cutting NO OEM wires or messing with the BCM in any way. I did tap into, but NOT cut the PASSLOCK II wires at the ignition switch. By doing the install that way, should the bypass module or remote unit fail, the car's OEM configuration is still 100% intact and the car will always start with the key. It has worked flawlessly with no SES or Security lights for months now.

In this picture: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...9&d=1132691774

you can see my Vue running with no key in the ignition and NO SES or Security lights showing on the dash.

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

Last edited by wolfman; 03-11-2006 at 04:01 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-11-2006, 09:52 AM   #5
Jldet5

2004 VUE 3.5L

Thanks for all the tips and I will try to apply them all. I was able to get the T harness you suggested and the 555LW off Amazon. Everything is on the way.

Whats a good way to solder a splice under the dash by the way. I've never had much luck holding two wires, solder, and an iron all at the same time.

Ordered a Hakko 936 solder station with 907 iron last night too. Tired of the cheap stuff. A tech was over soldering on my HDTV and man that was a nice iron. His was more expensive than the 936 but I'm hoping this one will do the job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-11-2006, 08:10 PM   #6
wolfman

That's the really nice thing about the "T" harness, you will need to do ZERO splicing. (All plug and play) You will need to tap into the wires for the PASSLOCKII at the ignition switch (right where the key inserts) but if you unplug the tiny harness plug you will have a bit of slack to work with. I did NOT solder that connection, I simply (CAREFULLY!) shaved back a bit of insulation, make a loop in the OEM wire WITHOUT CUTTING IT, inserted the bypass wires and then wrapped the two together. Insulated the tap with good ole high quality electrical tape.

The other connections for the PDL and the like, done where I suggested (at the relays) should require NO splicing or soldering either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-11-2006, 10:31 PM   #7
Jldet5

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
That's the really nice thing about the "T" harness, you will need to do ZERO splicing. (All plug and play) You will need to tap into the wires for the PASSLOCKII at the ignition switch (right where the key inserts) but if you unplug the tiny harness plug you will have a bit of slack to work with. I did NOT solder that connection, I simply (CAREFULLY!) shaved back a bit of insulation, make a loop in the OEM wire WITHOUT CUTTING IT, inserted the bypass wires and then wrapped the two together. Insulated the tap with good ole high quality electrical tape.

The other connections for the PDL and the like, done where I suggested (at the relays) should require NO splicing or soldering either.
Now your making it sound easy How do you tap into the relays without solder? Are you pushing the wire into the fuse /relay terminals? Is this the fuse box under/on the passenger side footwell?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-12-2006, 12:10 AM   #8
wolfman

If you pop out the relays you will discover that they have the 30/87/86/85 labels just like any 30 amp automotive type relay. You merely need to use your RS/Alarm module to trip the OEM relay circuit which will then pass that signal along to the actuators in the doors. You can do this by simply pulling the relay out of its socket and slipping a thin wire into the appropriate socket opening for the POS/NEG realy trip and then reinstaling the relay (wedging the wire into the socket) Bingo. You have a secure and easily reversable circuit tap. (Relay trip circuits are VERY low amp, so you can use very thin wire with no worries) If you have a few days before you are going to do this, I can supply you with the wiring schematic for the OEM PDL/RKE.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-18-2006, 09:38 AM   #9
Jldet5

2004 VUE 3.5L

I'll be taking plenty of time to install since this is my first alarm. Days for sure if not weeks.

I need to remove the A pillar trim/panel to run the antenna wire and I see a small cover for what I'm guessing is a bolt or screw. Need to find a way to remove the cover without scratching it.

Looking at the passlock II wiring for the directed 555lw is says to cut the ignition yellow wire, and connect both of those to the 555lw. Looks like the black ground wire and yellow wire runs to the BCM so right off the bat I'm already messing with the BCM! Looking at the Alarm diagram I may have seen other BCM connections like parking lights but I'm still figuring it all out. Is your BCM warning just for the PDLs and windows?

Since this is an alarm unit do I need to cut the yellow wire in order for the alarm anti theft features to function properly?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-18-2006, 01:11 PM   #10
Jldet5

2004 VUE 3.5L

Nevermind on the pillar cover. I was able to use a gift card to pry it off without scratching. The trim is now completely apart and ready for the wiring job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-18-2006, 01:44 PM   #11
IMkenNY
IMkenNY is on a distinguished road

Yes, I had to cut the yellow passlock wire to install my 555l.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IMkenNY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IMkenNY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IMkenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 08:24 PM   #12
wolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMkenNY
Yes, I had to cut the yellow passlock wire to install my 555l.
If that wire has remained cut even with the bypass installed you might want to consider a different bypass module. Should that one fail with the OEM wires CUT (severed) then the car will not start even with the key!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-19-2006, 08:21 AM   #13
Jldet5

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
If that wire has remained cut even with the bypass installed you might want to consider a different bypass module. Should that one fail with the OEM wires CUT (severed) then the car will not start even with the key!
Are you saying the DEIs are not reliable or is it the learning ones that you don't like? Do you prefer the ones that require a valet key? So your recommending just to tap into the yellow wire I take it. If so, which wire from the bypass? I would assume the one that is meant to go to the BCM and leave the one meant for the incoming (from ignition) uninstalled.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-19-2006, 09:05 AM   #14
IMkenNY
IMkenNY is on a distinguished road

While playing musical Vues I have used the 555L passlock bypass in three of my Vues. It worked great in two of them but I had no luck with two different passlock units in my wifes Vue.

Here is a quote from a great web site for aftermarket car electronics installation information ( www.the12volt.com ):

"Vue and L series vehicles have a strange wave form pattern on their PL systems. On an O scope it looks like a roller coaster ride. If you try and flat line it like all other PL2 systems it will kick the security light on. When the signal becomes too radical, the 555L can't keep up and on comes the security light. No simple solution, and only something like 1 out of 20 or so will have this problem.

Various solutions out there, none work 100%"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IMkenNY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IMkenNY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IMkenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:20 AM   #15
wolfman

I can only speak for the one I used (see the thread entitled "Remote Starter on the way" ) It splices into, but does NOT require cutting, the PasslockII wires at the ignition switch. It is a "learning" module as well, but delivers that "learned" PasslockII code right at the ignition switch where the BCM expects to see it and ONLY when remote starting. Should the module fail, the OEM system remains intact and WILL deliver the normal information to the BCM when the key is inserted into the lock and is turned, something that ain't gonna happen if those wires are left CUT to install the module. Installation of the remote starter unit and bypass unit in my 05' did not requiring CUTTING or otherwise disabling a single OEM wire or system. It has worked flawessly all winter, through a variety of temperature extremes. Should it ever fail however, the OEM system will still function...so I, or my wife, will not be stuck anywhere.

link to related thread: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ter+on+the+way

Last edited by wolfman; 03-20-2006 at 12:25 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-20-2006, 05:37 PM   #16
Jldet5

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I can only speak for the one I used (see the thread entitled "Remote Starter on the way" ) It splices into, but does NOT require cutting, the PasslockII wires at the ignition switch. It is a "learning" module as well, but delivers that "learned" PasslockII code right at the ignition switch where the BCM expects to see it and ONLY when remote starting. Should the module fail, the OEM system remains intact and WILL deliver the normal information to the BCM when the key is inserted into the lock and is turned, something that ain't gonna happen if those wires are left CUT to install the module. Installation of the remote starter unit and bypass unit in my 05' did not requiring CUTTING or otherwise disabling a single OEM wire or system. It has worked flawessly all winter, through a variety of temperature extremes. Should it ever fail however, the OEM system will still function...so I, or my wife, will not be stuck anywhere.

link to related thread: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ter+on+the+way
I understand what your saying. What I don't get is the wires you connected. There are two wires from the bypass module to connect to the yellow wire. If you don't cut the yellow wire do you connect both wires or just one? I would assume just the wire meant to go to the BCM side but then how does the bypass module learn if the wire going to the ignition side is never connected?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-20-2006, 11:41 PM   #17
wolfman

If you examine the OEM PasslockII connector at the ignition switch, you will discover it has TWO WIRES. The module I used connects to BOTH of them. (Without actually cutting either, just tapping in)
I'm beginning to think you may be following the directions for PasslockI (the old resistor chip in the key system)
Instead of PasslockII (ordinary key generates code when turned in ignition...what your VUE has)
Or PasslockIII (Transponder built into key...REQUIRES special programed key...what the Relay minivan has)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-21-2006, 12:54 AM   #18
mr_mike
mr_mike is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
If you examine the OEM PasslockII connector at the ignition switch, you will discover it has TWO WIRES. The module I used connects to BOTH of them. (Without actually cutting either, just tapping in)
I'm beginning to think you may be following the directions for PasslockI (the old resistor chip in the key system)
Instead of PasslockII (ordinary key generates code when turned in ignition...what your VUE has)
Or PasslockIII (Transponder built into key...REQUIRES special programed key...what the Relay minivan has)?
As a clarification, the original resistor and current Relay/SV6/whatever other cars have the transponders are actually from the Passkey family, where the standard key systems are the Passlock system. Basically, the ones that require a special key are the Passkey systems, while the ones which can use standard hardware store blanks are the Passlock (like our Vues).

Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr_mike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr_mike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mr_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:29 AM   #19
Jldet5

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Sounds like I may have the new and improved version as I have the 555L.

Following Passlock II. 2 wires on the OEM connector, 3 on the bypass module. One wire (black) on the bypass taps into the orange/black at the connector. Two wires (yellow and black/yellow) connect to the yellow wire at the connector. After cutting the yellow OEM wire by the connector, the yellow bypass wire goes to the ignition, and the black/yellow bypass wire goes to the BCM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-21-2006, 09:43 AM   #20
wolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jldet5
Sounds like I may have the new and improved version as I have the 555L.

Following Passlock II. 2 wires on the OEM connector, 3 on the bypass module. One wire (black) on the bypass taps into the orange/black at the connector. Two wires (yellow and black/yellow) connect to the yellow wire at the connector. After cutting the yellow OEM wire by the connector, the yellow bypass wire goes to the ignition, and the black/yellow bypass wire goes to the BCM.
Did the directions actually tell you to CUT that wire or just connect to it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!