SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2014, 11:00 PM   #1
1996 sl1
1996 sl1 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
Default 1996 SL1 project

Im new to this but I got a 1996 Saturn sl1 4 door 5 speed 18 inch rims Mitsubishi 3000gt wing cold air intake strait pipe to a thrush muffler, runs good sounds good. how hard is a turbo put on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996 sl1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996 sl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996 sl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2014, 11:28 PM   #2
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2
Default Re: 1996 SL1 project

There's much more to a boosted engine than just a turbo charger. If you are actually serious go to Sixthsphere and read, but don't ask questions for about 6 months.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:43 PM   #3
1996 sl1

1996 SL1

im thinking of getting another motor and rebuilding it so I can start from scratch it is my daily driver but I love running the hell out of it it is fun to drive I also got 3 12 inch subs and a 3200 watt amp in the trunk it is the only sl1 4 door ive seen anyone done anything to

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 1996 sl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-16-2014, 11:48 PM   #4
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Save the SL1 and use it for the intended purpose - a daily driver. Go buy a 4g63 DSM or Camaro or whatever and call it a day. There's no point in modding out the Saturn as it will hold exactly no value whatsoever and you can't make it go fast without spending exorbitant amounts of money.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that is just the way it is with these cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:45 AM   #5
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmasher View Post
Save the SL1 and use it for the intended purpose - a daily driver. Go buy a 4g63 DSM or Camaro or whatever and call it a day. There's no point in modding out the Saturn as it will hold exactly no value whatsoever and you can't make it go fast without spending exorbitant amounts of money.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that is just the way it is with these cars.
Having a fast saturn does save you money on gas and guaranteed speeding tickets you would get with a "better" model.

'02 SL1.414213562^2, Deebs ftw

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlexofNazareth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:37 AM   #6
Recycled Saturn
Advanced Member
Recycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996 sl1 View Post
im thinking of getting another motor and rebuilding it so I can start from scratch it is my daily driver but I love running the hell out of it it is fun to drive I also got 3 12 inch subs and a 3200 watt amp in the trunk it is the only sl1 4 door ive seen anyone done anything to
I am assuming you want to turbo it to make it faster? Or is it just for the cool factor?

Removing the subs, big rims, spoiler, and swapping to a DOHC will net you a very noticeable gain without all of the headache and cost of a turbo build. Plus it will be reliable

1998 SL2-AMR Strut Bar, AEM CAI, and 119,XXX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Recycled Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Recycled Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Recycled Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
1996 sl1

1996 SL1

Ok guys I am a certified mechanic, and I love my Saturn, I would not trade it for a Camaro or nothing. I have not done a turbo yet and was just asking, I did not want to get blasted about don't fix it up, I appreciate the concern but im stickin with my Saturn all I got left is a body kit and paint, and it is technically finished id just like to turbo it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-17-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
AlexofNazareth
Master Member

2002 SL1

Being a certified mechanic doesnt make you any more qualified to modify/turbocharge your car.

You have a lot of reading and learning to do. As it was suggested, hop onto sixthsphere.com and begin your journey.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #9
Jim97sl2
Jim97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Welcome to the forum.

This forum is an excellent place for information on the Saturn S-Series in general concerning maintenance and mild modding/tweaks and repairs. Sixthsphere is where you want to go for more hardcore mods like turbo. Be warned that Sixthsphere is not as friendly as this site. The reason for the "just don't do it" is not meant to be rude. It is that many people have come here to turbo a Saturn and have absolutely no idea what is involved in terms of both technology and expense and time tuning for reliability.

The most reliable upgrade for a SL1 is a DOHC swap. That is much less involved that a turbo, much more reliable but still takes some work. The net gain from a SOHC to DOHC is about 21hp for gen 2 and later. Gen 1 Sx1 before MPFI were only about 85hp so the gains for those cars is even more but that does not apply to your 96.

There are quite a few successful turbo Saturns but it is not recommended for daily drivers due to reliability concerns and cost. I don't know if anyone is turbo charging SOHC engines as the only ones I am aware or were DOHC LLO motors. The DOHC LLO motors breath better and is almost mandatory for converting to turbo. The gear ratios are different for both motors. Single cams are geared for economy (low rpm's) and dohc is geared to turn more rpm's.

You will also need to look into a MegaSquirt for additional fuel management and a wideband O2 for a/f ratio monitoring. Losing the factory AC and trying to stuff an intercooler in front of the radiator are also required as well as custom piping both in and out. It can certainly be done, but the expense and loss of reliability is beyond the scope of most owners and modders here that use their Saturns as daily drivers.

Again, welcome to the forum. Jim.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jim97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jim97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jim97sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:10 AM   #10
redbeardthemad
redbeardthemad is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan

turbo=yolo just do it man theres a place in daytona that can tune it not problems and thats that, and value? who said he is selling it, oh yeah nobody, see the problem is people are scared to be different, look ebay turbo kit$500 thats everything except the tune manifold and head work, there are places local to us that can do all this for not a bunch of money $1200 max and you got the single cam that could
#turbothat*****
#iftheresawillthersaway
#suckit

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to redbeardthemad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help redbeardthemad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
redbeardthemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #11
redbeardthemad

2006 ION-2 Sedan

For real say it costs $1500 at the max youll have a low boost reliable turbo car thats fun as **** to drive and will shock people dont let ney sayers get ya down bro!!!

And i know its coming anyone who doesnt agree with the prices come to daytona and find out plus you can lose to an ion lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help redbeardthemad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-17-2014, 11:17 AM   #12
AlexofNazareth
Master Member

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeardthemad View Post
turbo=yolo just do it man theres a place in daytona that can tune it not problems and thats that, and value? who said he is selling it, oh yeah nobody, see the problem is people are scared to be different, look ebay turbo kit$500 thats everything except the tune manifold and head work, there are places local to us that can do all this for not a bunch of money $1200 max and you got the single cam that could
#turbothat*****
#iftheresawillthersaway
#suckit

You're special ed. Please keep this "advice" to yourself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #13
redbeardthemad

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexofNazareth View Post
You're special ed. Please keep this "advice" to yourself.
and your a dick, the world still spins

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-17-2014, 11:34 AM   #14
redbeardthemad

2006 ION-2 Sedan

AlexofNazareth is angry because he cant turbo his ride due to lack of funds and knowledge... calm your sandwhich

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #15
AlexofNazareth
Master Member

2002 SL1

Quote:
#and
#your
#a
#dick
#the
#world
#still
#spins
fify.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-17-2014, 01:31 PM   #16
Recycled Saturn
Advanced Member
Recycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
For real say it costs $1500 at the max youll have a low boost reliable turbo car thats fun as **** to drive and will shock people dont let ney sayers get ya down bro!!!

And i know its coming anyone who doesnt agree with the prices come to daytona and find out plus you can lose to an ion lol
"Reliable" and "turbo" are not two words that can be used to describe a S-series. With a turbo the OP needs a second car for when (yes when not if) the motor fails. Running low boost on a SOHC will not even net as much of an increase as a DOHC and MP3 swap would. Running high boost and he better have a second car ready and some deep pockets.

I would like to see this car built, and will give props to the OP if he can manage to finish this project. I am more of a factory appearance guy, but won't rain on his parade for modifying it to his tastes.

6thsphere is really one of the only places to research this, but be prepared because I have heard many people get flamed and bashed over there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Recycled Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #17
Recycled Saturn
Advanced Member

Quote:

An Ion is a completely different car than the s-series. You could get it equipped with a supercharger from the factory, and the aftermarket world is larger than the almost non-existent one for the s-series. Putting a turbo on an Ion cannot compare to putting a turbo on an s-series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-17-2014, 04:06 PM   #18
Jim97sl2

1997 SL2

Yeah, disregard r************d. That guy is posting in the wrong form anyway. This is this S-Series forum, Not the Ion forums. Evidently he doesn't understand the original S-Series motor design and limitations. The EcoTech and the LL0 motors are totally different.

As ODB1 Codenewbie said "Move along to the other forum, These are not the Mods your looking"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jim97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-17-2014, 04:48 PM   #19
Jim97sl2

1997 SL2

To the OP. All joking aside, I hope you are successful if you seriously want to try to go the turbo route. I would like to see what the SOHC can do on the dyno with a low boost. Without a true bolt on engineered prefab kit, there are a lot of variables you will have to consider. Best of luck and let us know how the project goes if you decide to pursue this.

Jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-17-2014, 09:55 PM   #20
1996 sl1

1996 SL1

jim97sl2 thanks im just considering the turbo not sayin I will, redbeardmad is my buddy. he is just watchin my back u know like friends do, I like my car. if u go to ion forums and I think it is like dash light mod or interior light mod and scroll down it is on his post he has a pic of my car on there. it is black with silver rims and a blue ion beside it. guys please no bashing I like my car a lot and it is a project please comment what u think so far I will post more pics in the close future. thanks guys please comment nicely....

Last edited by 1996 sl1; 01-17-2014 at 10:05 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!