SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 03-21-2007, 08:46 AM   #1
SheckyZ28
SheckyZ28 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Service Engine Light On, No codes found?

Have an 03 Vue 2.2 cvt, the SES light is on but when I hook it up to an OBDII scanner is passes the system check. Any ideas? Only thing I can figure is possible a tranny code not being read or a problem with the ECM.
SheckyZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2007, 09:42 AM   #2
rayzur9
rayzur9 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: Service Engine Light On, No codes found?

I think if you were to look around in here for issues regarding the VTI transmission coupled with the four banger, you might come to want to sell that ride before you pour any more money into it. That combination is the most issue-laden vehicle mentioned in these forums. For the sake of helping, I know of a recall on those factory plugs. I heard of the intake bolts being loose and causing a vacuum leak. Ive heard of headlight grounding issues that the ECM is also grounded to. The previous two posts have SES issues listed that might also give you some ideas.
rayzur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:24 AM   #3
runerx
runerx is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Mine did the same thing when the O2 sensor went out. It was a vehicle specific code that the generic readers at the auto store couldn't read. I finally took it to the dealer where the O2 sensor had popped up a code.
No real short cuts for this one that Im aware of.

Dave
Never let facts stand in the way of a good opinion!!
runerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:01 PM   #4
SheckyZ28
SheckyZ28 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

I hear you on the suggestion to sell the car with the CVT. I hooked it up to another scnner and came back with P0440, evap. Any suggestions?
SheckyZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:16 PM   #5
rayzur9
rayzur9 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Heres a bulletin I found on that:

Check Engine Light On with P0440 or P0442 Stored (Diagnose Evaporate Emission (EVAP) System and/or Reprogram Electronic Control Module (ECM)) #04-06-04-033A - (Sep 20, 2004)
Check Engine Light on with P0440 or P0442 Stored (Diagnose Evaporative Emission [EVAP] System and/or Reprogram Engine Control Module [ECM])
2002-2003 Saturn VUE Vehicles with 2.2L Four-Cylinder Engine (VIN D -- RPO L61)

Fixed Operations Manager and Technician

This bulletin is being revised to update calibration numbers and the TIS Data CD version. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-04-033 (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition
Some customers may comment that the check engine light is on with diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0440 (large leak) or P0442 (small leak) stored with no actual system leaks present.

Cause
Under certain driving conditions with fuel level over 50%, fuel splash inside the fuel tank may affect the fuel tank pressure sensor reading and cause either of the above diagnostics to fail.

Correction
Utilize current published diagnostic procedure to inspect vehicle for source of leak. Refer to "Fuel System Testing" procedure in the 2002-2003 Saturn VUE Revised Engine Service Manual, Vol. II (or in SI, "Fuel Tank Leak Test" procedure, SI Document ID# 1227195). If no leaks are identified, verify engine control module (ECM) calibration I.D. number and, if necessary, reprogram the ECM with the calibration available on Saturn Service Stall data release TIS 7.0 2004 or later.

Service Procedure
Verifying Calibration ID Number

Important
You must view calibration numbers using the TECH 2 Scan Tool and NOT the Saturn Service Stall System (SSS).

Connect Scan Tool to the vehicle.
Navigate to the 2.2L (VIN D) Powertrain Menu.
Select ID INFORMATION.
Select ENGINE INFORMATION.
Read CALIBRATION ID.
If the current ECM calibration ID is the same or greater than the calibration listed in the "Calibration Information Table," do not reprogram the ECM. The updated calibration is already installed and reprogramming is not required. Refer to the appropriate model year Service Manual or SI for further diagnostic information.
If calibration ID number is not the same or greater than the calibration listed in the "Calibration Information Table," then reprogram ECM with latest available service calibration.
Reprogramming ECM

Important
Before installing new ECM calibration, make sure the Saturn Service Stall System (SSS) version is TIS 7.0 2004 or greater.

Important
While ignition is OFF, apply parking brake to disable daytime running lights (DRLs) prior to starting reprogramming procedure.

Important
Technician must select "Replace and Reprogram" option in order to reprogram the ECM.

Reprogram the ECM with the appropriate updated calibration listed in this bulletin. Refer to the "Calibration Information Table" to select the correct calibration for the vehicle being serviced. (If newer calibrations than those listed below are available, install the latest available service calibration.) Use Saturn Service Stall System (SSS) software version TIS 7.0 2004 or higher data CD. Refer to "Service Programming System (SPS)" in the SSS User Guide for reprogramming procedures.

Calibration Information Table Part Number
Description

Calibration - 2002 MG3 Manual Transaxle, 5-Speed

1-Speed Cooling Fan

Calibration - 2002 MG3 Manual Transaxle, 5-Speed

2-Speed Cooling Fan

Calibration - 2002 M16/M75 CVT Variable Transaxle

Calibration - 2003 MG3 Manual Transaxle, 5-Speed

Calibration - 2003 M16/M75 CVT Variable Transaxle

Claim Information
To receive credit for this repair during the applicable 8-year/80,000 mile (130,000 kilometers) emission controller warranty, submit a claim through the Saturn Dealer System for J6353 (Module, Engine Control - Reprogram).
rayzur9 is offline   Reply With Quote