SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2005, 11:29 PM   #1
98greenSC2
Advanced Member
98greenSC2 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
Default Shifter still feels sticky, even after new shifter and cables!

I posted a while back that the shifting on my car is rough and balky. It's difficult to get into gear smoothly. I really have to push it into gear. I recently installed new shifter cables and a short shifter. I thought the cables would fix it but I guess not. They still needed to be replaced. I discovered the shifter grommet broke before I even bought the car. Someone repaired it with a short length of PVC pipe and a wire tie.

Could it be the clutch hydraulics? It normally doesn't grind going into gear but once in a while, it will. It'll sometimes shudder like the clutch is grabbing a little when I'm at a stop and I have the clutch pressed in and in gear. Would it also make the shifting difficult? I don't think the hydraulics were replaced when I had the clutch done or after I blew the diff pin.

http://members.cardomain.com/stdmtn11
15.59 @ 87.1 quarter mile
1998 Saturn SC2 *sold* What have I done!?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98greenSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98greenSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98greenSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2005, 07:17 AM   #2
abe
abe is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Shifter still feels sticky, even after new shifter and cables!

I had the same thing happen to me but I replaced the hydraulics because I thought that was it

As it turned out (because I used a rebuilt clutch when I replaced the clutch) a few fingers were bent on the pressure plate

New clutch fixed the problem for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to abe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help abe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:57 AM   #3
jdcart
jdcart is on a distinguished road

I have a 97 SC1 with the same problem. I am glad to read the reply about the clutch replacement solving the problem. I seriously believe that the transmission synchronizers were the culprit. Not having to go inside the transaxle will be welcomed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jdcart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jdcart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jdcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 12:56 PM   #4
ttreibel
Advanced Member
ttreibel is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2002 SL1

My 97 acts the very same way I will keep an eye on the clutch. I too was suspecting the hydraulics but I guess even after pumping them up it can still be a bear to shift. I did grease up both sides on the shift cable and it did help some however.

1995 SL1 oil burner school commuter looks nice...1997 SL1 Gold 5-speed with new junk yard wheels and tires just got 40.4 MPG....2002 SL1 sometimes 45 MPG on a spring highway drive

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ttreibel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ttreibel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ttreibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:29 PM   #5
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Usually it's the hydraulics. If you're low on hydraulic fluid, you know for sure. If you're not, you can try this. With the car stopped and the engine running on a flat surface. Pump the clutch a few times, hold it and put it in gear. Release the brake and continue holding the clutch. If it's hydraulics, the clutch will gradually engage or if it started engaged, it will engage more. If it's the pressure plate, there should be no change as you hold the clutch in.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 02:37 PM   #6
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

sounds like a gearbox issue to me. low fluid or worn/broken parts will probably be your culprit...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:15 PM   #7
SKYDude
SKYDude is on a distinguished road

My 96 SC2 has the SAME FREAKIN ISSUE! I have been trying to figure it out for a long time. This problem seems to only occur either when the car is cold (first thing in the AM) or when I am stuck in traffic and the car get real hot. I'll push the clutch pedal in (normal feel to the pedal; nothing strange there), the shifter will only go into 1st if I shove it hard (I feel like I am going to break something!) and then once I finally shove it into gear, sometimes it will shudder with the clutch all the way depressed and in gear and just sitting still. If I let the car roll a little, the shuddering stops. It also makes a racket in the tranny when this is happening, almost like the sound the car makes if you are learning to drive stick (that shuddering/shaking feeling). The only way I can fix it is to put it in reverse and then back in first again (usually fixes it for the time being). Any ideas? Should I replace the master/slave assembly? I really don't want to pay for a new clutch now Thanks for the advice

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SKYDude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SKYDude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SKYDude is offline   Reply With Quote