SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2011, 05:48 AM   #1
andyr13
Advanced Member
andyr13 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
1995 SC2
Default Shifter Cables

I am pretty sure the shifter cables on our VUE are wearing out. I have read a couple of threads on here about the cables and I have a couple of questions. Is this something you need to lift the VUE off the ground to do from underneath? If not will I need any special tools to get the old cable off and put the new cable on? I want to try and do this myself, just not sure if I will be able to or not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to andyr13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help andyr13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
andyr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Shifter Cables

I had mine replaced under warranty, so I'm not much help.

Lift up the gear shifter boot and take a look at the end links. Also peak at them at the transmission. See if any are worn funny, cracked, broken. I believe it's possible to just replace the ends.

I've kinda looked at what it would take to replace them and it looks like it can be done by removing the center console that encloses the shifter and then from underneath the engine bay (probably want to raise up the front end) so you have access to where they come through the firewall.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
andyr13
Advanced Member
andyr13 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
1995 SC2

Ended up taking our VUE into get it repaired. The cables were getting progressively worse pretty quickly. VUE drives very smooth once again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to andyr13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help andyr13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
andyr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
Caesar
Caesar is on a distinguished road

We have two Saturn Vue-s 2006 with a 50.000 miles in there and a 2007 with 48.000 miles. We needed to exchange those shifting cables like 2 weeks ago in the 2006 car. GM Part cost was around $180 if I'm right. I've seen the process of replacing.... you need to get under the car around the transmission to be able to unhook those cables.... take the interior out around the shifter make the other end free as well .... but the hardest part seemed to be, driving them through the body of the car/front wall (between the engine and passenger space). Double walled and the wholes are not aligned. I believe that is the most tricky part what might give you a lots of headache without lifting the car up like 5-6 feet.
The symptom was the very stiff shifting capability. After the repair, the stick moves by two fingers again.
A little while later one morning I lost all the gears. except the first. No neutral. The shifter on moved up and down but not into 2 gear no side ways movement at all!!! Got scared...called my mechanic and tried to solve the problem through the phone. Success! On the side of the engine are two C shape clip what supposed to keep the cables there. The black one somehow got out and resulted this. Make sure those cable are on the spot and tightened it right. You even can use some cable tight. just in case.
No sign of wearing out of these cables on the 2007 ... yet.
Hope it helps.
Later...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Caesar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Caesar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:15 PM   #5
DavidBo
DavidBo will become famous soon enough

2002 VUE 2.2L

I just finished replacing the cables on my 2002 4 cylinder and it was quite the job. No lift or special equipment was needed, everything was done under the hood or inside the vehicle. Do a little searching of the forum for good advice, here's a few tips from me (for those who might want to try it themselves):

Part numbers - Cable: 21996492
Connector: 15212801 (white)
Connector: 15212802 (black)

You'll need one of each if you get the same cable I got. The original cable used two of the black connectors at the transmission end, the replacement cable I received had permanently attached, molded connectors. The adjustable connectors are used at the shift lever ends.
Prying the old cables off the transmission levers was tricky. I used my door panel removal tool, a big screwdriver and a few smashed knuckles before they finally popped off.
Inside the car, the trim comes off from around the shift lever, I used my Haynes manual as a guide. The right side panel comes loose and the carpet in the passenger footwell is pulled back. I used a skinny flat blade screwdriver to pop the adjuster block out of each connector, then the cables pull free.
I'd recommend tying a strong cord to each of the cable ends before pulling them forward through the firewall. Then tie the cords to the new cable and use that to help pull the new assembly back through the firewall to the shifter.
I removed the shift lever assembly from it's mount (four nuts) so I'd have easy access to the underside where I swapped out the old connectors.
I ran into a problem - the old cable used plastic rings to secure the housings into the mount brackets at the transmission and shift lever mount. The new cable has a larger collar with a spring loaded sleeve and the plastic rings wouldn't fit. The collars fit fine into the brackets, but wouldn't lock to anything. The only assumption I can make is that there was some improvements made along the way that my little truck hasn't caught up with yet. Ingenuity being the mother of invention I decided to improvise and adapt. A little stainless steel safety wire wrapped around each collar and the bracket will keep everything in place at the tranny. At the shifter end I drilled a small hole in the plastic under each cable slot while I had the shifter mount removed. I passed the wire through the hole and around the cable collar then twisted the ends together to secure each cable.
Once everything is in position, make sure the transmission levers are in neutral and the stick is centered, then snap down the blocks on the connectors at the stick. Run through all the gears with the clutch pedal depressed, you'll probably notice a big difference in feel. I had no idea how sloppy my old cables were, now the stick snaps into each gear much more cleanly.
It took me the whole weekend but the final result was worth it. I've got almost 140K on the clock, I hope to get many more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DavidBo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DavidBo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nice

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ghlight=cables

I've replaced mine already once. It's not rocket science, but it's not cake either.

Michelin LTX M/S2's // MOMO // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

V6 Air Bag and Steering Wheel Swap
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155754

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortugalFocus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortugalFocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortugalFocus is offline   Reply With Quote