SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
TN1
TN1 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Default 2007 Aura XR won't start (sporadic problem, not a dead battery))

Five times since last November, I have gotten in my car, inserted the key in the ignition, turned the key, and the car has failed to start. All the accessory power comes on, and if I leave the car and come back at least 20-30 minutes later, the car starts just fine. Each time, the circumstances are different - some of the times, it happened after the car sat overnight or for a few hours, and other times, it happened 5-10 minutes after I turned off the car (like, to run in to the store). I have had the car to two dealers - one indicated they were able replicate the problem one time, but after 20 minutes the car would start so they could not duplicate the problem again. The second dealer was unable to replicate the problem.

After the most recent instance, I've wondered if it might be the PassKey system not working right. Has anyone else had this problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TN1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TN1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
cfisher2
cfisher2 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: 2007 Aura XR won't start (sporadic problem, not a dead battery))

I'm going to say i'm almost 80% sure it's the passkey system. My old buick lesabre did that. If the chip in the key starts to go bad it locks you out for like 10-15 minutes, it even showed a security lock in bright green on the dash.

I resolved the issue by using the spare key, never happened again. Then I got rid of the car... and got the Aura!

***also want to add that it didn't happen every time, it was entirely random, although, it always seemed to happen when I had to be somewhere in a hurry, freaked me out the first 2 times till I googled it and realized what it was. lol.***

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cfisher2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cfisher2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cfisher2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:41 AM   #3
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfisher2 View Post
I'm going to say i'm almost 80% sure it's the passkey system. My old buick lesabre did that. If the chip in the key starts to go bad it locks you out for like 10-15 minutes, it even showed a security lock in bright green on the dash.

I resolved the issue by using the spare key, never happened again. Then I got rid of the car... and got the Aura!

***also want to add that it didn't happen every time, it was entirely random, although, it always seemed to happen when I had to be somewhere in a hurry, freaked me out the first 2 times till I googled it and realized what it was. lol.***
I can find nothing to indicate the Auras use the passkey system. No resistance in the key. No tamper indicator on the dash which is there on other older GM cars that use the passkey system. The owners manual says that if you have the key code tag that comes with the keys, usually kept by the dealership, any locksmith can cut you a key.

So if we have the system can anyone point me to documentation on the web to support it?
The stating problem described sure sounds like what happens if the resistance is incorrect in the key. The information on the system says it disables the ignition for 4 minutes after an attempt with an incorrect key. The tamper indicator flashes for that 4 minutes.

If we don't have the passkey system, I think the problem can be a borderline battery voltage. If the computer thinks the battery is to low it will prevent the starter from engaging.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

try the other key. if the car cant read and recongnize the transponder when you turn the key nothing happens. then it wont start for a while. try using the other key. if you have no problem you will know that was it. then try reprogramming the key and if you have more oproblems get another key.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

aura has, as most gm cars now do, passkey 3 plus. each key has a different transponder signal. when you insert the key two things have to happen. last time the key was used the computer gave the key a random code. one the car has to know that the key knows this code and two the car has to recognize this key. then the car will start. when you get a new key it has to be programmed. you can do it yourself in 10 seconds.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2009, 10:52 AM   #6
cfisher2
cfisher2 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

What he said ^

I'm guessing if it's happening often tho, there's most likely a problem with the key. Do you have a spare you can try?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cfisher2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cfisher2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cfisher2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:11 PM   #7
jita1
jita1 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton Driver View Post
I can find nothing to indicate the Auras use the passkey system. No resistance in the key. No tamper indicator on the dash which is there on other older GM cars that use the passkey system. The owners manual says that if you have the key code tag that comes with the keys, usually kept by the dealership, any locksmith can cut you a key.

So if we have the system can anyone point me to documentation on the web to support it?
Here's the 2007 MY owner's manual. Page 114 shows Pass-Key III.

http://www.saturn.com/assets/en/pdf/...2_2k07aura.pdf

MY '08 has it to.

2014 Chevy Impala 2LT, 3.6L V6
2008 Saturn Aura XE, 3.5L V6 (Traded in for Impala)
2011 Chevy Cruze 1LT, Gold Mist Metallic (wife's ride)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jita1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jita1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jita1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
XR524
XR524 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

sounds very similar to a problem i had with the starter solenoid on a '97 wrangler. its hard to say though. i doubt its a problem with the key passcode though. the dealership should have been able to tell if that was the problem.

would the problem not return any failure codes from having it scanned at local car parts store? definitely have it scanned if you havent yet. its free.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XR524's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XR524 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XR524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:34 PM   #9
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jita1 View Post
Here's the 2007 MY owner's manual. Page 114 shows Pass-Key III.

http://www.saturn.com/assets/en/pdf/...2_2k07aura.pdf

MY '08 has it to.
Many Thanks.
What i found indicated the passkey was resistance based. That was I, II, and it said III, but these are III+. Similar to what my old Cady had.
This must be similar to the new RFID chips used in so many things today.

Found the info in my 07 owners manual on page 110

Thanks again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:38 PM   #10
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

pkiii is the first level with imobilizers so the key needs to be programed. pkiii plus is the same thing with rolling codes. either one or two was the old chip on the key and the other was passkey which could use any key.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #11
TN1
TN1 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Thanks very much for the replies.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TN1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TN1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #12
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Well, maybe I can lend some insight.

A few months back, one day... My Aura did not start. The battery did not seem dead, but we jumped it anyway (not smart, I know.) Oddly, about ten minutes later, the car started just fine. I had called the dealer to alert them that there was a possible problem.

Next week the Aura was at the dealer for an oil change, alignment, rotation, rotors (of course.) When the service tech called and asked if I had any problems starting the car. I said no, but told him of the story. They asked to keep the car overnight to test the battery and such. The techs "couldn't duplicate." Even though this happened while it was actually at the dealer.

I get the car back, after they gave it a clean bill of health. Fantastic. Except for a day the following weekend. No start.

The car eventually started, oddly after it was jumped (must have been a coincidence.) I took it to the dealer. Once again, I was told they couldn't duplicate the problem. I told them to continue checking, and that I wouldn't be picking up the car until something was fixed. They called me back and verified it was the battery. Replaced the battery, deeming that it had a "bad cell." They gave me many apologies, and I picked the car up.

A few days later, no start, AGAIN! The car was then towed to the dealer. It turns out, the entire time that the starter was malfunctioning.

They, again, gave me many many apologies and let me pick up the car after replacing the starter.

There have been no issues since.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:23 AM   #13
dishdude
dishdude is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

If it is a passlock problem, I would think the light of the car in a padlock would light up.

I had a keycut that is a non transponder key, and if I try to start the car with it all of the accessories will turn on, but the car will not crank. On the left side of the gauge cluster the security light (car with a padlock around it) will stay illuminated until I turn the ignition off.

2008 Saturn Aura XE I-4 Techno Gray

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dishdude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dishdude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dishdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #14
HAL2000
HAL2000 is on a distinguished road

Found a 'work-around' for this issue, since both of my keys would not work to crank my car.

Around the ignition is a plastic ring that has the power modes displayed on it. Underneath it is an Immobilizer which communicates to the Control Module. Inside the key is the transponder for the Immobilizer ring which for some reason is now too weak to communicate or be read by the Immobilizer.

I held my second key flush to the plastic ring, next to the ignition cylinder, and when I used my primary key to crank the car, it started right away.

Keep in mind this is a work around and you should get the Immobilizer or your key (depending on your issue), replaced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HAL2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HAL2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HAL2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:35 PM   #15
gregh2000
gregh2000 has a spectacular aura aboutgregh2000 has a spectacular aura about

2007 AURA XR

Mine wouldn't start again. All the accessories worked just fine it just wouldn't start. It would try to start once then it would not try again. Sometimes it would start just fine, other times it was dead. It turned out the battery was bad. I could jump it and it would start. This is my 3rd battery in this car now. So it very well could be a weak or bad battery that under the right circumstances will start the car. They load tested mine and it failed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gregh2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gregh2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gregh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:57 PM   #16
NDjoe
NDjoe is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
Dizzy Re: 2007 Aura XR won't start (sporadic problem, not a dead battery))

Was a solution ever found for this problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NDjoe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NDjoe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NDjoe is offline   Reply With Quote